California Zephyr in doubt?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst googling about the CZ, a reference came up about the The Utah Rail Passengers Association casting doubt on the future of the California Zephyr passing through the State. Sadly as I am in England the website will not allow me to read the article. Does anyone know anything about this or is this "fake news". I had plans to travel this route soon.

^^What he said.There's been some talk of it theoretically being rerouted through Wyoming instead of the Rockies, but I haven't heard anything whatsoever about it completely skipping Utah.

I found this article: http://www.sunad.com/news/will-amtrak-kill-the-california-zephyr-route-through-utah/article_d945f168-be01-11e8-99ba-8397eb14bb8d.html

It appears to be just speculation that if the SWC bus bridge is implemented then something similar may happen on the CZ. However, as cpotisch mentioned, there was discussion on this forum a few months ago about a potential reroute through Wyoming (which would also pass through the Rockies, although a less dramatic area of them when compared to the current route).

At Saturday's ColoRail meeting, there was a brief mention of this. As mentioned in the Sun Advocate article, the concern by those in Utah is that the unwillingness of Amtrak to fund Positive Train Control from Grand Junction to Salt Lake [i believe those were the city pairs mentioned at the meeting] means a possible death knell to the California Zephyr in that specific area. This is entirely speculative though, and considering AMTK may be backing off on their hard line stance on it, any immediate demise or possible rerouting for that reason is not likely and certainly not imminent.

Interestingly, the rail policy guru for the Colorado Department Of Transportation [CDOT] who gave a presentation at the meeting, mentioned that PTC is not unlike air traffic control for aviation traffic: you don't need it everywhere for it to be effective. (Something AMTK hasn't been willing to admit heretofore.)

Back