Predicting a "consist..."

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AutoTrDvr

OBS Chief
Hello all!

It's been a very long time since my last post and a lot has happened in my life in between time. AlanB, if you're still around, send me a PM. We'll talk. I wish we could have that drink we discussed back then, but you'd have to come a bit further than NJ (or me to NYC) to have it. For one thing, I have moved away from NJ and am now living in Florida. As a result, I no longer take the AutoTrain anymore.

I am, however, still pondering that "round the country" trip I had always been planning, albeit somewhat shortened. I will probably fly up to Chicago from Florida, and then do the following:

1) SW Chief --> LAX

2) Coast Starlight --> Portland

3) Ovelay a couple of days in the Portland area (I've already done Seattle).

4) Commuter Train to Seattle (and maybe an overnight there as well)

5) Empire Builder --> Chicago.

And then fly home to Florida.

Now, the reason for this new thread.

When I traveled on the Auto Train, it was fairly easy to "Predict the Consist..." that is, how the cars would be oriented, etc. The cars were always boarded from the same track/platform, And I always knew that in re: "full bedrooms," a "D" bedroom (or the equivalent in an "all bedroom" car), would have the sofa seat (which turns down into the bed) facing the "southern" direction of travel, and an "E" bedroom would face the northern direction. When making my reservation, I could then call the AutoTrain line and then check the accommodation and change it to either "D" or "E" as required. Why?

Very simply, I'm the type of person that needs to face forward when traveling. Traveling "backwards" is rather disorienting for me and doesn't help with managing the "motion sickness," which I did happen to manage pretty well while on the Auto Train, thanks in part from being able to get either a "D" or "E" bedroom as needed.Yes, I know that there's the one seat opposite the sofa, but I much prefer sitting on the sofa... that's why it's there, after all.
default_smile.png
And, the sofa is a lot more comfortable! And while it is also true that I could rent a roomette and have two sofa seats that face each other, the Superliner roomettes do not have a private bathroom... one of the reasons why I cough up the $$$ for a full bedroom. But I also had to do things like let some people pass me when waiting for seating at the dining car in order to get a seat that let me face the direction of travel. I guess I'll still have to do that.

Thus, my question. Is it just as easy (as with the Auto Train) to "Predict the Consist" of the other trains I mentioned above? Do they always board on the same track/platform at their originating terminals? Would the specific full bedrooms always face the same way or is it totally unpredictable? I'm thinking I should go with a "D" for The SW Chief and Empire Builder, and an "E" for the Coast Starlight. But I honestly can't tell. I've tried lookiing at a bunch of YouTube videos by those who publish them (and there are quite a few.... many more than in 2012), but I still can't tell for sure.

Anyway, It's a pleasure to talk with you all again. I may not be on as much as before, but I'll be around.

Thanks & Regards,

Arnold.

Im sorry to break the news, but AlanB passed away approximately one month ago. He was stricken while on the Crescent entourage to New Orleans. RIP. He was certainly a good guy.

Unfortunately, there isn't any real way of knowing in advance what direction the cars (and rooms) will be facing, since Superliners are designed to be able to face either direction.

And as greatcats said, sadly Alan passed away a couple months ago (July 12th). He was on the Crescent en route to OTOL Fest in New Orleans. PRR 60 broke the news that evening.

Im sorry to break the news, but AlanB passed away approximately one month ago. He was stricken while on the Crescent entourage to New Orleans. RIP. He was certainly a good guy.

Unfortunately, there isn't any real way of knowing in advance what direction the cars (and rooms) will be facing, since Superliners are designed to be able to face either direction.

And as greatcats said, sadly Alan passed away a couple months ago (July 12th). He was on the Crescent en route to OTOL Fest in New Orleans. PRR 60 broke the news that evening.
OMG! I am so sorry to hear this. I wish I had asked my question here a lot sooner....

My sincere condolences to those here who knew him much better than I did.

What does "predicting a consist" mean?

Why can people not use descriptive and understand subject lines?

Do some carriers charge extra if you use to many words?

A set of train cars is often known as a train set or "consist." The train "consists" of various cars and a number of engines. And I explained my use of the term in the post itself.

I thought it was fairly clear, at least to me, though a wee bit technical. Asking if the consist, particularly the orientation, can be predicted. As long as you know what "consist" means in a passenger railroading context, it seems clear and descriptive enough, though succinct.

No, it really can't. The Auto Train is something of a special case because it a completely dedicated consist, running between terminals that serve NO other trains, plus the brakes are set up differently since, due to the length and weight of the train, it can't use graduated release passenger braking. So it is not going to get a flipped-around car from the Capitol Limited at the last minute.

For the other trains, cars can and are cut in and out of the consist because of they are bad ordered or require inspection and another car will be cut in. That car will be in whatever orientation it was in and will not be turned just to change that. Superliners were specifically designed to run with either end forward. Boarding platform really has nothing whatsoever to do with it, as the trains are mostly made up at a coach yard (Roosevelt Rd Chicago, 8th St Los Angeles, etc), and just spotted at whatever platform, though there is quite a bit of consistency in which tracks are used.

If you look can take a look at the trains on webcams and YouTube over time, you may be able to get a sense of how they generally are and if there is any kind of consistency. You can tell from the lower level windows, since the "wet" end with the bathrooms are is the end with the bedrooms.

My own travels lead me to believe it is pretty random. Even on the same consist. I recall being on several trains where each sleeper was oriented differently.

There are always roomettes...when traveling myself, I've never considered the private potty worth double or more the price. And the roomette seats are a lot more comfortable than the chair in bedrooms, which as far as I can tell really was not designed with the human anatomy in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it really can't. The Auto Train is something of a special case because it a completely dedicated consist, running between terminals that serve NO other trains, plus the brakes are set up differently since, due to the length and weight of the train, it can't use graduated release passenger braking. So it is not going to get a flipped-around car from the Capitol Limited at the last minute.

For the other trains, cars can and are cut in and out of the consist because of they are bad ordered or require inspection and another car will be cut in. That car will be in whatever orientation it was in and will not be turned just to change that. Superliners were specifically designed to run with either end forward. Boarding platform really has nothing whatsoever to do with it, as the trains are mostly made up at a coach yard (Roosevelt Rd Chicago, 8th St Los Angeles, etc), and just spotted at whatever platform.

If you look can take a look at the trains on webcams and YouTube over time, you may be able to get a sense of how they generally are and if there is any kind of consistency. You can tell from the lower level windows, since the "wet" end with the bathrooms are is the end with the bedrooms.

My own travels lead me to believe it is pretty random. Even on the same consist. I recall being on several trains where each sleeper was oriented differently.
So, it is possible, then, that several Superliner sleeper cars linked together can be oriented opposite each other (i.e. the "hallways" for the full bedroom portion could be on one side in one car and the other in a different car)? Would make you have to "zig zag" when traveling through the cars? That would be a bit weird.... If this is true, then it really doesn't matter what room I select. Still, I'll try for a "D" or :"E" as they're in the middle of the train and not "over the wheels." The "A" room is definitely over the wheels, and the

There are always roomettes...when traveling myself, I've never considered the private potty worth double or more the price. And the roomette seats are a lot more comfortable than the chair in bedrooms, which as far as I can tell really was not designed with the human anatomy in mind.
For me, the private bath is worth the extra $$$, as is the extra living space.. Although, I probably would pick a Roomette if I were traveling on a "Viewliner" sleeper which does have en suite toilet/sink. I just don't think I'll ever be traveling on a Route that has Viewliner cars.

I have been on Superliners many times when one sleeper car is oriented one way and the adjoining one is oriented the other way. I usually try to get the E room (if I have a choice). It also seems to be oriented "forward" more times than not (expect when I have an E room on a 2 day trip). In July, I got the last bedroom on the Texas Eagle and it was the A room. It was my first trip in an A room and it was OK. The couch was facing forward and I did not hear the neighbor's toilet flush.
default_smile.png

My next 2-night trip will be in a D room. I hope I get lucky.

I have been on Superliners many times when one sleeper car is oriented one way and the adjoining one is oriented the other way. I usually try to get the E room (if I have a choice). It also seems to be oriented "forward" more times than not (expect when I have an E room on a 2 day trip). In July, I got the last bedroom on the Texas Eagle and it was the A room. It was my first trip in an A room and it was OK. The couch was facing forward and I did not hear the neighbor's toilet flush.
default_smile.png

The very moment you book the trip on line, call Amtrak and get them to change it. The sooner you call, the better of course.

Yah, a "D" or "E" would be better to keep you as far away from the wheels as you can get.

default_smile.png

The very moment you book the trip on line, call Amtrak and get them to change it. The sooner you call, the better of course.

Yah, a "D" or "E" would be better to keep you as far away from the wheels as you can get.
I usually call when booking.

default_smile.png

I always booked on-line for the AutoTrain. But I called immediately thereafter.

...the chair in bedrooms, which as far as I can tell really was not designed with the human anatomy in mind.
When the Superliner Sleepers were delivered, they had a movable chair in the Bedrooms. However, the NTSB Final Report on the '02 Crescent City derailment incident recommended that fixed seating be installed replacing the movable chair - a recommendation Amtrak complied with, resulting in the present "jump seat".

...the chair in bedrooms, which as far as I can tell really was not designed with the human anatomy in mind.
When the Superliner Sleepers were delivered, they had a movable chair in the Bedrooms. However, the NTSB Final Report on the '02 Crescent City derailment incident recommended that fixed seating be installed replacing the movable chair - a recommendation Amtrak complied with, resulting in the present "jump seat".
If it were the same full back seat as is the sofa, I could accept that, but I guess it gets in the way of the partition that might open when doing a :"double bed room." For example, the D & E bedrooms have a partition that can be opened if, say, a family wanted two bedrooms near each other and opening up into a "family" room... Don't know if that happens between the B & C rooms.

If it were the same full back seat as is the sofa, I could accept that, but I guess it gets in the way of the partition that might open when doing a :"double bed room." For example, the D & E bedrooms have a partition that can be opened if, say, a family wanted two bedrooms near each other and opening up into a "family" room... Don't know if that happens between the B & C rooms.
Yes, the B & C rooms are connected and can make a suite, just as the D & E rooms.

The best way to assure a forward facing seat is to book a roomette if you are a single traveler. I have traveled in both bedrooms and roomette. The in room bathroom is not that important to me plus now that the superliners have aged I have experienced the waste fumes from the toliets in the bedroom end of the car. No problem with smells in roomette ends since no bathrooms are on the roomette end. The downstairs bathrooms are underneath the bedrooms adding to the fumes smell.

Another reason I prefer the roomette is that I prefer the bed to be parallel with the windows instead at a 90 degree angle as in the bedrooms.

The best way to assure a forward facing seat is to book a roomette if you are a single traveler. I have traveled in both bedrooms and roomette. The in room bathroom is not that important to me plus now that the superliners have aged I have experienced the waste fumes from the toliets in the bedroom end of the car. No problem with smells in roomette ends since no bathrooms are on the roomette end. The downstairs bathrooms are underneath the bedrooms adding to the fumes smell.

Another reason I prefer the roomette is that I prefer the bed to be parallel with the windows instead at a 90 degree angle as in the bedrooms.
Fair enough. When I traveled on the Auto Train, I always slept with my head away from the window and towards the bedroom door. I guess I felt that the noise would be less at night from the hallway than from the outside window (where you might hear the train horn and or other trains,etc. passing by).

We'll see. The full bedroom not only offers a private bath, but it also offers a bit more living and storage space. But I'm not anywhere's near a decision yet. Like I say, this is a "bucket list" sort of thing...

I always book 2 connecting bedrooms for the 2 of us 'cause I prefer sleeping perpendicular to the tracks. In the roomettes, you roll side-to-side, but in the bedroom it's head-to-toe so you don't notice the rocking so much. And a rather panoramic view with all the windows when the "wall" is open. I even have my own "coach key" to close and lock it at night for privacy. Do the A/T at least 8-times-a-year.

Connecting.JPG

default_smile.png

I always booked on-line for the AutoTrain. But I called immediately thereafter.
I just cut out the step and always just call when I make sleeper reservations. Since I am a bit picky, I never make them online.

I always book 2 connecting bedrooms for the 2 of us 'cause I prefer sleeping perpendicular to the tracks. In the roomettes, you roll side-to-side, but in the bedroom it's head-to-toe so you don't notice the rocking so much. And a rather panoramic view with all the windows when the "wall" is open. I even have my own "coach key" to close and lock it at night for privacy. Do the A/T at least 8-times-a-year.
You definitely live up to your handle.

I wonder if a single traveler who could (and wanted to) afford it, could book a double just for themselves... I mean, yes, it would be "paid for," but it might also be denying service to other potential passenger(s). I can see where Amtrak might want to accommodate as many people as possible. After all, the more people on board, the more money made on meals and other concessions....

Anyway....

Back