Great Amtrak trains in the West

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant
I have a 1973 edition that includes the INTER-AMERICAN.

Two of the ten Western trains listed are long gone: NORTH COAST HIAWATHA and TEXAS CHIEF.

I have a 1973 edition that includes the INTER-AMERICAN.

Two of the ten Western trains listed are long gone: NORTH COAST HIAWATHA and TEXAS CHIEF.

The other day, I was looking on that archived Amtrak timetable website, and oddly couldn't quite figure out the year the North Coast Hiawatha was discontinued. Anyone know what year that was? I was surprised that Amtrak timetables from the late 1970s(this is as far as I skimmed back through certain years) to early 1980s, didn't mention that train.

The other day, I was looking on that archived Amtrak timetable website, and oddly couldn't quite figure out the year the North Coast Hiawatha was discontinued. Anyone know what year that was? I was surprised that Amtrak timetables from the late 1970s(this is as far as I skimmed back through certain years) to early 1980s, didn't mention that train.

It was discontinued in 1979. Here's the page from the last timetable in which it appeared (July 27, 1979 issue).

Back