Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

CSX train hits truck stalled on tracks in Chester, VA

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

Raw dash cam video from a witness:

https://www.wric.com...ield/1423541409

If you pause the video right at the beginning, you can see that the trailer bottomed out on the tracks. The truck driver clearly knew this because he got out of the truck before the train hit. Given that the crossing arms came down on top of the truck, it had probably been there at least a couple of minutes before the train approached, so this likely isn't a trying-to-beat-the-train situation.

It happened around 4:30pm. This is the same track that Amtrak uses for all of its south-of-Richmond service including the Silvers, Palmetto, Carolinian and the Norfolk NER. It appears the track has reopened as of 10pm tonight as amtrak.com is showing the southbound 97 as only 12 minutes late.

#2 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,632 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:25 AM

It was the Good Ole Juice train that smacked the trailer. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#3 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:25 AM

Actually the juice train has stopped running as its own unit train. Now it's just the first cut of an intermodal. Unless it's come back since Hunter died.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#4 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:19 PM

I'm wondering, is there anyone to call or if something is stuck on the tracks, so that they can halt all rail traffic? Because it seems like this truck was stuck there for some time before the train came through, so would it have been possible to notify someone and avoid a crash?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#5 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:26 PM

I'm wondering, is there anyone to call or if something is stuck on the tracks, so that they can halt all rail traffic? Because it seems like this truck was stuck there for some time before the train came through, so would it have been possible to notify someone and avoid a crash?

Yes, there is a sign required by law that has a unique crossing identifier and a toll free number to call to report problems with a crossing, not limited to a blocked crossing. I have reported malfunctioning crossings using this number in the past.

EDIT: here is an example of the signs:

Attached File  B816E14C-FF35-4670-A773-3D80A62CF577-3990-000011AE605B5C24.jpg   422.9KB   9 downloads

Edited by CCC1007, 07 September 2018 - 01:28 PM.

#6 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:31 PM

Yes, there is a sign required by law that has a unique crossing identifier and a toll free number to call to report problems with a crossing, not limited to a blocked crossing. I have reported malfunctioning crossings using this number in the past.

attachicon.gifB816E14C-FF35-4670-A773-3D80A62CF577-3990-000011AE605B5C24.jpg

So in that case, I'm wondering why the driver apparently didn't call that number prevented the crash...

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#7 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:36 PM

So in that case, I'm wondering why the driver apparently didn't call that number prevented the crash...
Have you noticed how observant the general public are?

#8 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:40 PM

Have you noticed how observant the general public are?

True, but if I was a truck driver who was likely about to see his livelihood get destroyed, I might start to be a bit more observant.

#9 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:20 PM

At the least, he could have called 911, and they would have transferred him there....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users