Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

When did VIA Rail take over?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:28 AM

When did it transition from a marketing organization for CN passenger services to a rail passenger operator?

When did CP service officially come under VIA Rail operations? 

Dates please--month & year!

[I know it was generally in the 1976-78 timeframe.]

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#2 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:02 AM

Should be 1978 if in fact this year is their fortieth anniversary they are celebrating.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#3 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:33 AM

On January 12, 1977, CN spun off its passenger services as a separate Crown corporation, Via Rail Canada.

https://en.wikipedia...Rail#Background

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#4 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:44 PM

And on Oct. 29, 1978, VIA took over CP rail's operations, which is apparently the date it is marking as its origin. 

#5 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:31 PM

Curious as to why they did it that way...

It would be like Amtrak not "starting" until they took over the Southern Crescent or the Rio Grande Zephyr....sort of... :unsure:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#6 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:31 PM

Took my first non-Amtrak trip in Canada in the fall of 1977.   VIA schedules and literature had been printed up.

I got some of my tickets from CN through a travel agent in Houston before I left the States.

I had to mail off to get my CP tickets.  They did not show up in my mail box until the day before I flew to Toronto.  

Close call on that one!

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#7 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:40 PM

It would be like Amtrak not "starting" until they took over the Southern Crescent or the Rio Grande Zephyr....sort of... :unsure:

I think because before taking over the CP trains, VIA was considered just a subsidiary of CN. 

• railiner likes this

#8 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:46 PM

I think because before taking over the CP trains, VIA was considered just a subsidiary of CN. 

Okay...that makes sense...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#9 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,709 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:53 AM

Yeah...IIRC, VIA was originally the passenger marketing department for CN.  CP was receiving subsidies to run its trains (90% of cash losses were reimbursed by the government).  CP ultimately chose to throw in the towel and asked for the government to take over the pax trains, so they all went under VIA Rail (which got spun off from CN as a result).  This is also, IIRC, why VIA is basically stuck using current/former CN/CP tracks (not unlike how Amtrak didn't have automatic access to ex-Rock Island tracks or to the FEC...Rock Island discontinued their trains without joining Amtrak while FEC had already discontinued service a few years prior amid a major strike).

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#10 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:25 AM

.  This is also, IIRC, why VIA is basically stuck using current/former CN/CP tracks (not unlike how Amtrak didn't have automatic access to ex-Rock Island tracks or to the FEC...Rock Island discontinued their trains without joining Amtrak while FEC had already discontinued service a few years prior amid a major strike).

Besides the CN and CP lines, there isn't much else in Canada that VIA Rail could or would operate over....perhaps Algoma Central, but not likely...

BC Rail and ONR were already government owned when VIA Rail was created.  QNS&L...forget about it...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#11 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:31 PM

After VIA Rail Canada was formed.....CN continued to operate the Roadcruiser Buses and narrow-gauge Mixed Trains in Newfoundland. The mixeds came off in 1988 with the abandonment of the railway but the bus service continued under CN until it was sold to DRL in 1996......and still operates today; http://drl-lr.com/schedule-and-fares/

#12 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:16 PM

After VIA Rail Canada was formed.....CN continued to operate the Roadcruiser Buses and narrow-gauge Mixed Trains in Newfoundland. The mixeds came off in 1988 with the abandonment of the railway but the bus service continued under CN until it was sold to DRL in 1996......and still operates today; http://drl-lr.com/schedule-and-fares/

Down to one local a day?   IIRC, they used to run 3 locals and one "expedo" in the summer time, including one overnite trip.   They used to stop for lunch at the Gander Airport restaurant, made famous by the musical play, "Come From Away"....

Edited by railiner, 07 September 2018 - 03:17 PM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#13 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:50 PM

Down to one local a day?   IIRC, they used to run 3 locals and one "expedo" in the summer time, including one overnite trip.   They used to stop for lunch at the Gander Airport restaurant, made famous by the musical play, "Come From Away"....

It's been one bus a day each way since the mid '90s. Here's a DRL run during at meal stop at Gander Airport:

IMG_3669.JPG

But go back to the mid '70s and several a day including the Expedo at Port-aux-Basques....waiting for a connection with the overnight CN Ferry from Nova Scotia

Attached Files

• railiner likes this

#14 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:10 PM

Nice shots, thanks for posting...

metroblue?