Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak at its pinnacle?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:10 AM

When did the Amtrak route structure reach its greatest number of route miles?

In the 70s (pre-Carter cuts)?

In the 80s?

In the 90s?

Time to pull out your timetables and check!

Without looking at actual numbers, I'd guess in the 70s just before the Carter cuts or in the 90s just after the SUNSET LIMITED was extended to Florida (and the PIONEER and DESERT WIND were still running).

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#2 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:46 AM

The pinnacle is yet to come!
It might require a robust congressional caucus, funding of a departmental caliber, and cleaning house in the board, CEO, and upper management, but this Amtrekker is always hopeful!
  • cpotisch likes this

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 21 (CHI, FTW, SAS); 22 (SAS, FTW, AUS, CHI) Cardinal: 50 (CHI, IND, CIN)

SS Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | RTD | MARTA | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | GLI | Jefferson Lines | Ambustitution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users