Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Hi Level Cars for Sale

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cuppb001

cuppb001

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:40 AM

Have not seen this posted anywhere else and Moderators can move or merge this thread if necessary but if anyone is curious the entire fleet of Hi Levels that were privately owned are now for sale on Ozark Mountain.  They have lots of pictures too for those of us that have never been in a Hi Level.

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com

You will have to login to see the pictures but registration is free.

• railiner likes this

#2 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:05 AM

Corridor Capital has been trying to sell those cars for years. A lot of states and other groups have looked at them, but there have been no buyers. I think one of the problems is that it would be extremely difficult to make the cars handicapped accessible since there is no seating on the lower level.

#3 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:43 AM

Corridor Capital has been trying to sell those cars for years. A lot of states and other groups have looked at them, but there have been no buyers. I think one of the problems is that it would be extremely difficult to make the cars handicapped accessible since there is no seating on the lower level.

Don't forget maintenance.

#4 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

Not to mention that they've been sitting around for so long now that they probably need a fair bit of money putting into them just to amke them presentable.

#5 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:16 PM

Have not seen this posted anywhere else and Moderators can move or merge this thread if necessary but if anyone is curious the entire fleet of Hi Levels that were privately owned are now for sale on Ozark Mountain.  They have lots of pictures too for those of us that have never been in a Hi Level.

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com

You will have to login to see the pictures but registration is free.

They've actually been for sale for multiple months. Anyhow, I've got an account with Ozark, so for anyone who wants to see the prices but doesn't want to go the trouble of signing up, here:

Attached File  Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 3.14.08 PM.png   957.63KB   20 downloads

Attached File  Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 3.14.25 PM.png   996.86KB   18 downloads

Attached File  Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 3.14.36 PM.png   444.16KB   18 downloads

• cirdan likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#6 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:24 PM

Great link...thank's for posting.   I loved that vintage shot inside of the NYC "Wingate Brook", with its beautiful raised observation lounge...

I used to 'drool' over that car, with the flower vase in the rear window, as it pulled away from Track 34, in GCT, wishing I was aboard it... :wub:

• Seaboard92 and cpotisch like this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#7 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:27 PM

Man, that New York Central Fall Brook would be a phenomenal car to renovate, though I have no idea how much that would cost. Beautiful car!

#8 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:19 PM

Man, that New York Central Fall Brook would be a phenomenal car to renovate, though I have no idea how much that would cost. Beautiful car!

I have a shop that could do it. Likely come close to 750k-1.2m depending how good of a job you want. And what type of surprises we find. But looking at it with fire damage. Could be even more. Honestly I would buy it for parts to keep another car in operation. But if you want a car I have several contacts that would sell you a better car. One that needs a lot less work.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#9 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:40 AM

Am I right that the 25 000 $ asking price is probably only slightly more than its presumed scrap value?

#10 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

That should be scrap value actually in St Louis. It's currently going for .30 cents per pound so 600 dollars a ton. Times roughly 40-50 tons. So 24,000-30,000 estimated scrap value.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users