When was the last time you rode in an Amtrak dome car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant
I had to think for a few minutes it's been so long. I'll have to say in 1986 between Kansas City and St. Louis.

[in charter service on Amtrak, it was May of this year.]

Although I have been riding Amtrak since 1971, I have never ridden in the Amtrak dome. I hope to be able to get a short ride in this fall.

Although I rode Ocean View many times (living on the route of the Adirondack helps
default_smile.png
), I much preferred the ex-D&H bubble top domes that were on the Adirondack in the 70s!

Last edited by a moderator:
Auto Train 1992.

ex MILW Super Dome formerly with CN and Princes Tours:

http://www.trainweb.org/web_lurker/WebLurkersDOMEmain/

Princess tried a brief run on Amtrak's Coast Starlight as the "California Sun Express" in 1990 with 3 of the cars owned by Tour Alaska that had been idled when Princess introduced the "Ultra Domes", using MILW 50-52-56. The experiment was cancelled the same year, with the 3 cars being bought by Amtrak for Auto Train service, and the 4th (MILW 59) going to Washington Central for dinner train service.

During my 1985 Broadway Limited trip after it combined with the Capitol Limited west of Pittsburgh. I spent most of the way to Chicago up in that dome. Only time I've ever ridden a true dome car on Amtrak, although I've been on a Grand Canyon Railway dome.

I rode once in the a dome on the CONO; not sure of the year but it may have been 1990. Last time in a dome was in 2015 on the Alaska Railroad. I can also still recall riding in a dome car on the Great Northern version of the Empire Builder in 1965. My sister and I along with our mom were on a Spokane-Chicago round trip. My sister and I spent a lot of the time in the dome and it was a win-win situation: my mom could doze without having to tend to us and we could ride in peace without Mom's thumb on us.
default_wink.png

Back in the day when the James Whitcomb Riley combined with the Hilltopper to Chicago and a number of times when the CL was single level with a dome. Prior to Amtrak on some of the Zephyrs and the original B & O Cap Ltd. The dome that had the spotlights that lit up the scenery at night.

On Amtrak, it was probably on the "River Cities" in the late eighties. That was a Vista-Dome. The last time I was on a Great Dome, was an early Amtrak Empire Builder, when it was still in its original GN configuration, with the coffee shop downstairs.

More recently, rode Alaska's Ultra Dome, and VIA Rail's Vista Dome as shown on my 'Travelog' posting...

And I agree, nothing gives the "look up, down, all-around" visibility of a Vista-Dome...
default_cool.png

The only true Amtrak dome I've been on was the mount Mitchell ex Milwaukee Road super dome on an inspection train. It was the inspection train from Columbia, SC to Charlotte, NC to study an extension of the Piedmont. That was back in 2000 I believe.

But my next dome experience is two weekends away in Chicago. Even though I'll be in my two cars mostly I might allow myself to wander.

1990 on the Capitol limited for true Amtrak and in 2005 on the American Orient Express (pulled by Amtrak) on the route of the Crescent. Had dinner in the dome car of the best pheasant I have ever had. Best service on a train best food in general on a train an amazing trip. Was our treat for a 25th anniversary.

The only true Amtrak dome I've been on was the mount Mitchell ex Milwaukee Road super dome on an inspection train. It was the inspection train from Columbia, SC to Charlotte, NC to study an extension of the Piedmont. That was back in 2000 I believe.

But my next dome experience is two weekends away in Chicago. Even though I'll be in my two cars mostly I might allow myself to wander.
My only ride in a Super Dome was on the MILW Afternoon Hiawatha from Chicago to Milwaukee, back around 1970. I had to run back and forth between it and the Skytop Lounge on the rear of the train...

And I returned to Chicago in a C&NW "Bilevel 400".

Those were the days....
default_cool.png

Back