Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Exploring old abandoned rail tunnels in Yorkshire...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:58 PM

I have been watching these guys doing wild camping on Youtube, and thought some folks here .might like to see these old tunnels.

Not approved behaviour, but irreverent fun!

https://youtu.be/vR_onlzJJf4?t=28m39s

Ed.

• cirdan likes this

#2 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:38 PM

The first time I read about such abandoned tunnels was in Enid Blyton's Famous Five series when I was a kid.

• caravanman likes this

#3 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:41 PM

The first time I read about such abandoned tunnels was in Enid Blyton's Famous Five series when I was a kid.

5 go off to camp, 1948, I guess... :D

Ed.

#4 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 03 September 2018 - 06:15 AM

5 go off to camp, 1948, I guess... :D

Ed.
I read them in the mid-60s though

Consequence of doing my primary and secondary schooling at a British style Public School. The library had the complete Famous Five and Secret Seven series. And I devoured the entire lot, among others. We had one of the best school libraries I have seen. Full collection of Jim Corbett’s books. Great collection of introductory science and math books too!

Edited by jis, 03 September 2018 - 09:03 AM.

#5 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:15 AM

Not really rail related, but Cornwall and Devon have miles and miles of abandoned tunnels. Many of them were dug several centuries back, some possibly even as long ago as Roman times. They were originally  tin or lead mines but after abandonment were in some cases used or even extended for smuggling.. Jamaica Rum or spices on which the government at the time levied heavy duties would be clandestinely offloaded from sailing ships and hidden away in tunnels before presumably being sold on the black market.. Many coastal communities lived almost entirely off such illegal activities in what was otherwise a very poor part of the country. Daphne Du Maurier's excellent novel Jamaica Inn is set in this period and accurately portrays some of the consequences.

Edited by cirdan, 03 September 2018 - 07:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users