Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Daily Birthday Greeting list discontinued

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,445 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:13 PM

Effective immediately, I will not be doing a daily update and posting members birthdays.

This was a tradition here at AU started by Eric Milton in 2005. Eric continued it until his passing. At that time, I took it over in his honor (with occasional assistance from Penny).

However, based on the recent thread on deceased AU members, combined with the posting by some members that they were not aware of the passing of AlanB, it appears that many do not care if this is posted or not. One of the reasons given was the members do not look at the News, Announcements and Introductions section at all since it is just Birthday Greetings. Sometimes that section contains important forum news.

The birthdays have been moved to The Lounge. Any member is free to post a birthday greeting to a known and active AU member, if you wish. But the list will not be updated.

Also, we have removed the list on the main page. This will alleviate some of the concerns expressed in the Deceased AU Members of having a age showing 138 years old. Or listing a birthday of a member who has not posted since 2003.

Edited by the_traveler, 01 September 2018 - 01:23 PM.

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,605 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:30 PM

I smell a Pay cut coming!😄
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,576 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:50 PM

I smell a Pay cut coming!

Blame Anderson  -  everything Amtrak is his fault.  :P

#4 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 01 September 2018 - 05:40 PM

I just recently discovered the list. So a big retro thank you for 5 years of birthday greetings.  :P

#5 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 02 September 2018 - 02:57 PM

I'm glad I just had my birthday as I always enjoy it.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#6 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:39 PM

Never really noticed the birthday list until this subject came up. Won't miss it.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users