Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak and Transit Data & Coding Meetup (Washington, DC)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 acelafan

acelafan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

My fault for not posting this earlier...but if you are in the DC area and interested in coding and visualizing data about Amtrak, transit or other rail, come to the Transportation Techies Meetup Thursday August 30!  It is being held from 6pm to 9pm near Washington Union Station.

We'll be discussing Amtrak Status Maps, the ASM archive database (ASMAD), and the transitdocs Better Track-A-Train.  

Should be a fun night for anyone interested in coding and transit/train/Amtrak data.  Feel free to stop by!

Attached File  cover.jpg   73.08KB   18 downloads

• daybeers and cpotisch like this

ASMAD - Has your train been running on time?

Amtrak Timetable Archives - PDFs since 2009

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:39 AM

This looks awesome, I think I have an evening meeting already that evening. I would love to hear more about both of those projects.

Some may remember that I coded up a stand-alone tool that did much of the work that ASMAD does, but never made it to distributing anything other than the results. Was a fun project to code up.
  • acelafan and daybeers like this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:57 AM

Any chance this will be recorded and published somewhere?

• acelafan and daybeers like this

#4 DCAKen

DCAKen

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:20 PM

I'll be there tomorrow!

• acelafan likes this

#5 acelafan

acelafan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

Glad to hear there is some interest!  I can ask about recording, but I know the local group really tries to encourage live participation.  

#6 DCAKen

DCAKen

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

It was a fun gathering last night, What was really eye-opening was the amount of effort Sunny put in to de-obfuscating the code from Amtrak's Track a Train and the feed it uses. It makes the final result that much more impressive.

• daybeers and cpotisch like this

#7 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 03 September 2018 - 12:38 AM

Any update on a possible recording? So sad I don't live in DC anymore: I definitely would've gone!

Edited by daybeers, 03 September 2018 - 12:38 AM.

• Devil's Advocate likes this

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#8 acelafan

acelafan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:27 AM

Any update on a possible recording? So sad I don't live in DC anymore: I definitely would've gone!

Sadly, no...if there is a 'next time' I'll give more notice for those in the local area.  Sorry about that.

• daybeers likes this

#9 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

This sounded like some very interesting and useful technical information.  It's unfortunate that technology played such a small role in distributing the core knowledge to a wider audience.

• PVD and daybeers like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users