Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Private train (including Patrick Henry Cars) headed South through CA?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Spyglass

Spyglass

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:46 PM

I have an office facing the tracks just north of the Cuesta Grade near San Luis Obispo, CA. I often look out my window to see if there are any private railcars attached to either the #11 or #14 Coast Starlight when they go by twice a day.

This morning (approx 10:30 local time) I heard a train and looked out the window to see what appeared to be a completely private train, pulled by two newer looking orange engines. The train was surprisingly long, and was comprised almost entirely of different older silver passenger/sleeper cars, most with two word names ending in "Pass," although I did think I saw a "Lake Superior" (or possibly Lake Erie? Now that I'm writing this I'm doubting my memory). No Amtrak branded/painted cars at all from what I could tell.

The two Patrick Henry Creative Promotions cars were in the approximate middle of the train, and stood out from the silver cars, so I Googled them and found this forum. 

Any idea what this train is for and where it was headed (other than south through San Luis Obispo County, CA)?

I apologize, I was too surprised and fascinated to grab my phone and take a picture or video. 

Edited by Spyglass, 28 August 2018 - 02:08 PM.

#2 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:09 PM

When I was in Texas last month, I saw 2 Patrick Henry Creative Promotions cars in 2 different cities.  Both were on the rear of an Amtrak train.  I think Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle.  Obviously a different situation than what you saw, but similar cars.

Amtrak miles: 248,633; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#3 Spyglass

Spyglass

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:51 PM

Aha! An answer from the Facebook page of the owner of Patrick Henry Creative Promotions:

"Today starts the trip across the West with our two cars and 16 other cars for CEO's. Heading to LAX from SFO." 

18 private cars total-- I thought that was a long train! Wish I had gotten a picture. Maybe someone else will before it arrives in LA. 

Edited by Spyglass, 28 August 2018 - 03:23 PM.

• pennyk likes this

#4 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:40 PM

The silver cars and Orange engines sounds like the BNSF office car train. Interesting that running on the Union Pacific.

Their office cars are currently in Northwestern Terminal in Chicago.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#5 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:46 PM

The silver cars and Orange engines sounds like the BNSF office car train. Interesting that running on the Union Pacific.

Their office cars are currently in Northwestern Terminal in Chicago.

The “competing” railroads will allow executive trains from other railroads, from what I have seen. It could be that the mojave subdivision was overloaded or not preferred for the run.

#6 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:48 PM

The most interesting one I've seen is the Canadian Pacific train complete with F units went to Portland on the UP. With a UP engine on the point for cab signals. BNSF also sends one to the masters annually.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#7 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

Arrived in Los Angeles this evening. Video'd it from Metrolink 119 while on my way home from work.

• Spyglass likes this

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#8 Spyglass

Spyglass

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:59 AM

Ooh, do you have any pics or video you can share? I am kicking myself for not getting any of this train. It was impressive.

Arrived in Los Angeles this evening. Video'd it from Metrolink 119 while on my way home from work.

Edited by Spyglass, 29 August 2018 - 01:05 AM.

#9 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:33 AM

The Facebook group "Railroad Photography" has a set of photos that were posted.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#10 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:47 AM

[Duplicate post; still figuring out how to delete. Sorry, and thanks for your patience.]

You can't delete it. Moderators can. Simplest way is to just edit your post to say "redacted" and/or report it to a moderator for deletion.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#11 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:04 AM

Photos of this special train showed up yesterday on railpictures.net.  As someone said the  orange locomotives and stainless steel cars are BNSF. It's interesting that the train is on UP and also includes some private cars. Perhaps this is more than a BNSF operation and includes other big business sponsorship. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users