Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak says it will not run trains on routes without PTC

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#161 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:10 AM

According to Amtrak mere absence of PTC won’t cause trains not to run come Jan 1 ...

https://www.railpass...n-on-january-1/

But no body wanted to believe trains would still be moving on the 1st of 2019...
  • AmtrakBlue likes this

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#162 Amtrakfflyer

Amtrakfflyer

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:27 AM

Amtrak didnt say trains would run. More to the efffect of current routes will be maintained. SWC with a bus will still cover CHI-LAX. This isnt over yet. Expect Anderson to double down. Sending Scott Napersak to Congress was a calculated move as well. Anderson and Gardner burned all their credibility and made news with their horrible tone deaf handling of the SWC stakeholders meeting in June.
  • Devil's Advocate likes this

#163 NativeSon5859

NativeSon5859

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:20 AM

Sorry but to me it sure sounds like the trains will be running post-1/1. Again, the SWC is in a different situation. I hope some deal can be reached so that line can remain intact. But there won’t be massive train offs.
  • jis and Triley like this
U.S: Acela Express, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Cascades, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Three Rivers, Twilight Shoreliner, Vermonter

Europe: Cisalpino, EuroCity, Eurostar Italia, ICE, TGV, TGV Duplex, Thalys

#164 Amtrakfflyer

Amtrakfflyer

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

Agreed but expect more funny business. All stakeholders need to stay vigilant.
  • Devil's Advocate and cpotisch like this

#165 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,491 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:45 AM

There will be some hysterical moaning that will go on distracting from the serious work that is needed to protect and enhance the system. Indeed maybe the likes of Anderson are counting on such. Using Agent Provocateurs to discredit people you wish to ignore is a well known technique.

#166 fredmcain

fredmcain

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Gardening, older U.S. Numbered Highways (Like Route 66) & Piano Ragtime

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:04 AM

Well, group, am I beginning to sense some back-pedalling on the part of Amtrak's management?  See here:

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ptc/news/Amtrak-to-seek-PTC-extension-will-operate-current-routes-after-Jan-1--55612 

Or if that does not work for you try here:  https://tinyurl.com/y945qltd.

Many, many, many thanks to all of you who have written letters and complained either to the Amtrak board or you Congressman.  *BUT* it ain't quite over yet so I'm still holding my breath on this one.

Best regards,

Fred M. Cain

​Regards,

Fred M. Cain

#167 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:35 AM

Sorry but to me it sure sounds like the trains will be running post-1/1. Again, the SWC is in a different situation. I hope some deal can be reached so that line can remain intact. But there won’t be massive train offs.

It seems that way, but we still shouldn't get cocky or overly confident that these routes are definitely safe. Things can still go unexpectedly and it's best to be wary of that.

Edited by cpotisch, 14 September 2018 - 11:38 AM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#168 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:36 AM

Well, group, am I beginning to sense some back-pedalling on the part of Amtrak's management?  See here:

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ptc/news/Amtrak-to-seek-PTC-extension-will-operate-current-routes-after-Jan-1--55612 

Or if that does not work for you try here:  https://tinyurl.com/y945qltd.

Many, many, many thanks to all of you who have written letters and complained either to the Amtrak board or you Congressman.  *BUT* it ain't quite over yet so I'm still holding my breath on this one.

Best regards,

Fred M. Cain

Yeah, that first one doesn't work. I don't know why extraneous characters keep ending up in your links, but I would just use tinyurl for now.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#169 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,994 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:34 PM

Amtrak didnt say trains would run. More to the efffect of current routes will be maintained. SWC with a bus will still cover CHI-LAX. This isnt over yet. Expect Anderson to double down. Sending Scott Napersak to Congress was a calculated move as well. Anderson and Gardner burned all their credibility and made news with their horrible tone deaf handling of the SWC stakeholders meeting in June.

I read it the same way you did. In Scot Naparstek's own words he says...

While this risk analysis process and mitigation plan development is still underway, let me be clear that Amtraks goal is to continue to operate all of our services over all of our current routes come January 1, 2019. Exactly how we accomplish this will vary across our network, based on the specifics of each route, but I want to assure the Committee that, at this time, we believe we will have strategies in place that will permit us to continue operations until operational PTC or PTC-equivalency is achieved for all of our network.

Link: https://transportati...k_testimony.pdf

Sorry but to me it sure sounds like the trains will be running post-1/1. Again, the SWC is in a different situation. I hope some deal can be reached so that line can remain intact. But there wont be massive train offs.

You're sorry that "the trains" will be running and that "train offs" won't be massive? Good thing we dodged that straw man I guess.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 14 September 2018 - 01:53 PM.

• Triley likes this

#170 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:20 PM

This really isn't very different from what Amtrak has been saying before, just more specific. Amtrak has always said they will do a safety management system on non PTC routes, not necessarily train-offs. So not much difference in that. The only change here is a possible back tracking on the SWC.
  • jis likes this

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users