Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak says it will not run trains on routes without PTC

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1 merkelman06

merkelman06

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:26 AM

See Trains News Wire article:

http://trn.trains.co...tes-without-ptc

#2 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

Uh oh.  :unsure:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#3 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

Sounds like Amtrak's board is just plain intent on killing those 8 trains, since the FRA has exempted those sections from having to have PTC installed.

jb

• Devil's Advocate and cpotisch like this

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#4 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:55 AM

Can FRA pull rank on Amtrak's board?

I can't see the Downeaster people putting up with this, not after the effort they put into starting that train from scratch. I'm hoping those resourceful New Englanders will come up with some good solutions the rest of the network can use as well!

• Ziv, daybeers and cpotisch like this

#5 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:02 AM

If my company just had several preventable accidents occur in short order like Amtrak had this year, you can bet they would resort to overkill to keep that from happening again. I work in the construction/transportation industry. What may seem like overkill is often in response to preventable accidents.
Look at it like this, in my industry we have OSHA minimum requirements for safety (think of the FRA minimum PTC requirements here). Good companies go beyond the minimum requirements in order to be safe. I have trouble faulting the Amtrak Board in this action considering what has happened this year.
  • Triley likes this

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#6 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:04 AM

In the case of Vermont, they have a contract with Amtrak to run passenger trains and have done everything within the law to keep service on those lines. Vermont could have grounds to sue if Amtrak doesn't hold up their end of the deal.

• Ziv, Mystic River Dragon and daybeers like this

Amtrak Miles: 209,015 (as of 7/23/18)

#7 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:09 AM

Since it was Gardner who made this statement, changing the title from "Amtrak says..." to "Amtrak's Gardner says..." may be a bit more suitable. Alternatively, I believe that there's already a thread with a similar name, so merging it won't be a bad idea either. But I would agree that it is a "treasonous" development by riders, congressmen, and senators nationwide.

Trains taken (Amtrak): Coast Starlight (VAN-LAX), San Joaquins (BFD-SAC, BFD-MTZ), Empire Builder (PDX-CHI), Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, Sunset Limited (LAX-MRC), Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), Capitol Corridor (EMY-SAC), Acela Express (WAS-NYP)

Current Amtrak mileage: 47445 miles

#8 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

Since it was Gardner who made this statement, changing the title from "Amtrak says..." to "Amtrak's Gardner says..." may be a bit more suitable. Alternatively, I believe that there's already a thread with a similar name, so merging it won't be a bad idea either. But I would agree that it is a "treasonous" development by riders, congressmen, and senators nationwide.

Gardner isn't saying this on his own volition. This is certainly a decision by the Board, as indicated by the rest of the article. 

#9 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:20 AM

Expect to congress to come up with more money.

#10 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:23 AM

If my company just had several preventable accidents occur in short order like Amtrak had this year, you can bet they would resort to overkill to keep that from happening again. I work in the construction/transportation industry. What may seem like overkill is often in response to preventable accidents.
Look at it like this, in my industry we have OSHA minimum requirements for safety (think of the FRA minimum PTC requirements here). Good companies go beyond the minimum requirements in order to be safe. I have trouble faulting the Amtrak Board in this action considering what has happened this year.

Most of the accidents this year have been grade crossing incidents, which PTC really could not have avoided. The Cascades derailment to my knowledge is the only major crash this year (technically last year) that PTC would have prevented.

Edited by cpotisch, 27 August 2018 - 11:23 AM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#11 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:27 AM

Disturbing to say the least. What should be done about this development, as the congress people involved do not represent my state and district? The congress should be informed about this.

Trains taken (Amtrak): Coast Starlight (VAN-LAX), San Joaquins (BFD-SAC, BFD-MTZ), Empire Builder (PDX-CHI), Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, Sunset Limited (LAX-MRC), Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), Capitol Corridor (EMY-SAC), Acela Express (WAS-NYP)

#12 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:28 AM

Most of the accidents this year have been grade crossing incidents, which PTC really could not have avoided. The Cascades derailment to my knowledge is the only major crash this year (technically last year) that PTC would have prevented.
Forgetting the SC crash?

#13 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:29 AM

Don't forget the head on collision on CSX tracks too.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#14 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:31 AM

Don't forget the head on collision on CSX tracks too.

Remind me, how would PTC have stopped that?

Edited by cpotisch, 27 August 2018 - 11:32 AM.

#15 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:39 AM

After reading the memo and the Trains article, this seems reminiscent of the Order 66 plot (Get in, diversion, excuses, purge).

• SubwayNut and Pere Flyer like this

#16 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:41 AM

After reading the memo and the Trains article, this seems reminiscent of the Order 66 plot (Get in, diversion, excuses, purge).

Ah, Order 66. One of the dumbest moments from the dumbest trilogy with the dumbest plot and logic I've ever seen. A lot of good parallels to Amtrak in 2018.

#17 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,994 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:51 AM

[t-quote name="bretton88" post="770850" timestamp="1535385747"]
If my company just had several preventable accidents occur in short order like Amtrak had this year, you can bet they would resort to overkill to keep that from happening again. I work in the construction/transportation industry. What may seem like overkill is often in response to preventable accidents. Look at it like this, in my industry we have OSHA minimum requirements for safety (think of the FRA minimum PTC requirements here). Good companies go beyond the minimum requirements in order to be safe. I have trouble faulting the Amtrak Board in this action considering what has happened this year.[/t-quote]

Your post sounds logical at first but upon further consideration it's clear that you're resorting to low effort pendulum logic. Many of Amtrak's recent accidents and incidents would not have been prevented via standard PTC. Most examples that would have been prevented are already on the implementation schedule. Insisting on PTC for areas that see one passenger train per day is little more than emotional manipulation masquerading as rational policy making.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 27 August 2018 - 01:09 PM.

• tricia, OBS and daybeers like this

#18 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,347 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:54 AM

In the case of Vermont, they have a contract with Amtrak to run passenger trains and have done everything within the law to keep service on those lines. Vermont could have grounds to sue if Amtrak doesn't hold up their end of the deal.

Also, AFAIK, the EA is the ONLY train on the stretch east of Whitehall. I have never seen another train there. (I live 20 miles away.)

Edited by the_traveler, 27 August 2018 - 11:56 AM.

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#19 tonys96

tonys96

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

So, Congress requires PTC, so Amtrak says no PTC, no Amtrak, even though Congress made exceptions for these areas. That is the law, amtrak will ignore that law.

But the law requiring F&B to pay for itsrlf, Amtrak insists on following.

Hypocrisy, party of one?

The worst part of censorship is XXXXXXXXXXX.

When you mute or alter a man's voice, you are not proving him wrong or a liar, you are only telling the world that you fear what he has to say.

#20 amtrakpass

amtrakpass

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

So Amtrak basically proposes to eliminate the national network on Dec 31 and there are still people making apologies for the leadership and claiming to be passenger train supporters? If Amtrak announced they were closing the doors tommorow, would people still claim it would be more efficient and we just don't see the big picture?
  • OBS, Seaboard92, daybeers and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users