Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Is Fear the Best Teacher?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:59 AM

An interesting article about safety training for Shinkansen maintenance crews:

https://soranews24.c...ing-at-300km-h/

Premise is that they need to feel the train whizzing by at 300 kph to appreciate the importance of their work after an untightened bold came loose on the supertrain a while back.
  • cirdan likes this

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#2 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 03 September 2018 - 12:48 AM

An interesting article about safety training for Shinkansen maintenance crews:

https://soranews24.c...ing-at-300km-h/

Premise is that they need to feel the train whizzing by at 300 kph to appreciate the importance of their work after an untightened bold came loose on the supertrain a while back.

Wow, this is terrible.

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#3 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:41 PM

That's quite smart and also absolutely terrifying. If I were training for that job and found out that that was part of it, I think I would look for a different job. Maybe I'm just a coward, though. 

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#4 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

So long as it's safely conducted, I think there is value in letting the maintenance crew understand that what they are working on in a static environment isn't static out in real life - far from it.

On that note, though, you can't tie a mechanic to the nose of an airplane for him to appreciate his job. :D

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users