Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Historic NY-Chicago routes.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 26 August 2018 - 10:35 AM

It would be interesting to do a similar passenger service comparison with other city pairs:
1) Chicago-Twin Cities
2) Chicago-Omaha/Council Bluffs
3) Chicago-St.Louis
4) Chicago-Denver
5) Dallas/Ft. Worth-Houston
6) Kansas City-St. Louis
7) Houston-San Antonio

Others?

NY-Florida.

But if you give me some time I'll eventually complete the 1952 guide so everyone can see the actual routes traced out, departure times, and stations. So far in almost done with the New York Central. And have completed the Southern, Seaboard, Atlantic Coastline, and Santa Fe
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#22 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 26 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

Another forgotten line was the Shenandoah which operated from 1976-1981 between Washington and Cincinnati where it connected with the J.W. Riley and later the Cardinal trains.  My brother was briefly an engineer on that line between Parkersburg, WV and Grafton WV when Amtrak trains sometimes used Chessie System freight engineers on that line.   I remember riding that train to Reds games in Cincy in the late 70s and early 80s. 

(yes, I know this train did not originate in NY but it was a connecting train to get one to Chicago...smile)

Ahhh...the route of the famous "Ampads"....the pair of Amfleet coaches, that had a pair of  experimental Economy Bedroom module's (prototypes for the new Superliner EB's) installed, at one end. :)

It's a shame that those are long gone. I haven't even been able to find any pictures of time. I would have loved to see what an Amfleet Roomette felt like.

Like a Superliner Roomette...minus the upper berth...

They couldn't fit an upper berth?

I am not sure about that...my memory is 'foggy', but the car's curvature may have precluded it...I know it had the two facing seats for daytime travel, but don't remember if there was an upper or not...maybe just the overhead rack....again, not sure...sorry.

Thanks. I'll take foggy memory over a lack of info whatsoever any day, so nothing to apologize for. So did you actually ride in one or just see one?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#23 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 26 August 2018 - 12:03 PM

Another forgotten line was the Shenandoah which operated from 1976-1981 between Washington and Cincinnati where it connected with the J.W. Riley and later the Cardinal trains.  My brother was briefly an engineer on that line between Parkersburg, WV and Grafton WV when Amtrak trains sometimes used Chessie System freight engineers on that line.   I remember riding that train to Reds games in Cincy in the late 70s and early 80s. 

(yes, I know this train did not originate in NY but it was a connecting train to get one to Chicago...smile)

Ahhh...the route of the famous "Ampads"....the pair of Amfleet coaches, that had a pair of  experimental Economy Bedroom module's (prototypes for the new Superliner EB's) installed, at one end. :)

It's a shame that those are long gone. I haven't even been able to find any pictures of time. I would have loved to see what an Amfleet Roomette felt like.

I am not sure about that...my memory is 'foggy', but the car's curvature may have precluded it...I know it had the two facing seats for daytime travel, but don't remember if there was an upper or not...maybe just the overhead rack....again, not sure...sorry.

Thanks. I'll take foggy memory over a lack of info whatsoever any day, so nothing to apologize for. So did you actually ride in one or just see one?

I rode from Washington to Cincinnati in that car, but not in the room...probably why I can't remember the details, for sure....

There was that car, a standard AM-II, and a dinette-lounge.   The crew directed thru passenger's into the car with the rooms, and the "shorts" into the other car.  

The B&O Conductor, (Amtrak has still not taken over the T&E crews at that time), was extremely accommodating, and since we only had about 15 or 20 thru passengers, he turned every other pair of seats, and raised up all the leg rests, making every four seats into a comfortable 'bed'.  He then passed out pillows, and turned down the lights, wishing us all a 'good night'...

But before doing that, he gave a heart felt 'thank you' for riding his train, and begged us to write our elected officials to keep it going, as it was an 'experimental route'.

In all the years of riding all manner of public transportation, I have never experienced that level of service and dedication from an employee...and I duly wrote my reps, as requested...

And...certainly commended him to Amtrak management, as well.

Sadly, the train was discontinued a short time later.

• Chaz and cpotisch like this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#24 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

The Baltimore and Ohio was actually well known for its passenger trains in the 1960s as one of the few railroads who still ran a first class outfit. The New York Central and Penn Central were known as some of the worst in the late sixties.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#25 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:41 PM

I rode from Washington to Cincinnati in that car, but not in the room...probably why I can't remember the details, for sure....

There was that car, a standard AM-II, and a dinette-lounge.   The crew directed thru passenger's into the car with the rooms, and the "shorts" into the other car.  

The B&O Conductor, (Amtrak has still not taken over the T&E crews at that time), was extremely accommodating, and since we only had about 15 or 20 thru passengers, he turned every other pair of seats, and raised up all the leg rests, making every four seats into a comfortable 'bed'.  He then passed out pillows, and turned down the lights, wishing us all a 'good night'...

But before doing that, he gave a heart felt 'thank you' for riding his train, and begged us to write our elected officials to keep it going, as it was an 'experimental route'.

In all the years of riding all manner of public transportation, I have never experienced that level of service and dedication from an employee...and I duly wrote my reps, as requested...

And...certainly commended him to Amtrak management, as well.

Sadly, the train was discontinued a short time later.

The fact there weren't many passengers obviously had a lot to do with cancellation. A bunch of full cars would have been much better than the extremely comfortable practically empty car. 

#26 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,599 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:03 PM

The Baltimore and Ohio was actually well known for its passenger trains in the 1960s as one of the few railroads who still ran a first class outfit. The New York Central and Penn Central were known as some of the worst in the late sixties.

The Top of the List for Classy Passenger Trains in the 60s was Santa Fe!

The Bottom Feeder, in my expierence, was SP, their model is now being used by Amtrak in an attempt to run off Passengers by cutting willy-nilly on the LD Trains!😥

Edited by Bob Dylan, 26 August 2018 - 11:05 PM.

• Seaboard92 likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#27 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:37 PM

The Baltimore and Ohio was actually well known for its passenger trains in the 1960s as one of the few railroads who still ran a first class outfit.

Run by Paul H. Reistrup... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#28 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:38 PM

The Top of the List for Classy Passenger Trains in the 60s was Santa Fe!

The Bottom Feeder, in my expierence, was SP, their model is now being used by Amtrak in an attempt to run off Passengers by cutting willy-nilly on the LD Trains!

What?  The "Friendly Espee"?    

Automat cars, anyone? :giggle:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#29 svtdv26

svtdv26

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:20 AM

I'm from India, I dream of traveling by rail in Chicago and nearby areas!

#30 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:37 AM

I'm from India, I dream of traveling by rail in Chicago and nearby areas!

Welcome! Hopefully we can help you make that happen! :)

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users