Bicycles on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B&Ofan

Train Attendant
Hi -

I have put together quite an Amtrak trip and have paid to take my bicycle along. First the trip, 449 from Boston to Albany (where I switch to the NY sleeper as making the switch was much cheaper then staying in the Boston section, go figure) Albany to Toledo. After A couple of days, Toledo to Reno (hopefully we won't be too late so I can get a nice lunch in Chicago).

After a week and a half Reno to Emeryville. A week in Oakland then Oakland (Jack London Sq.) to Portland. I have Family in Seattle and they are coming down to Portland. We will be heading back to Seattle and also do a trip to Vancouver. The trips on the Cascades has not been booked yet as my sister-in-law is working out the details of the part of the trip.

Then Seattle to San Diego Spend a few days in San Diego with a friend, then San Diego to New Orleans (As the system put me on the 1:30 PM train there should be some time in LA to do some sight-seeing around the station before the 10:00pm departure of the Sunset limited).

5 Days in the Big Easy then back to Boston (via Chicago), again I switch sleepers in Albany as it was much cheaper (even though they double charged me for the bicycle as they system counted Chicago to Boston as 2 segments).

While I have traveled a bit on Amtrak, this is the first time I am traveling with my un-boxed bicycle. The ticket states what I need to do but I was wondering if Amtrak handles moving the bike between connecting trains (if so can I just keep my bike in the Boston Baggage car for the Chicago (Toledo) segments? Is it worth trying to call them to see if they will only charge me for one segment on the trains that I switch in Albany?

Also does anyone have any general advice for traveling Amtrak with a bicycle?

Thanks in advance.

Hi -

I have put together quite an Amtrak trip and have paid to take my bicycle along. First the trip, 449 from Boston to Albany (where I switch to the NY sleeper as making the switch was much cheaper then staying in the Boston section, go figure) Albany to Toledo. After A couple of days, Toledo to Reno (hopefully we won't be too late so I can get a nice lunch in Chicago).

After a week and a half Reno to Emeryville. A week in Oakland then Oakland (Jack London Sq.) to Portland. I have Family in Seattle and they are coming down to Portland. We will be heading back to Seattle and also do a trip to Vancouver. The trips on the Cascades has not been booked yet as my sister-in-law is working out the details of the part of the trip.

Then Seattle to San Diego Spend a few days in San Diego with a friend, then San Diego to New Orleans (As the system put me on the 1:30 PM train there should be some time in LA to do some sight-seeing around the station before the 10:00pm departure of the Sunset limited).

5 Days in the Big Easy then back to Boston (via Chicago), again I switch sleepers in Albany as it was much cheaper (even though they double charged me for the bicycle as they system counted Chicago to Boston as 2 segments).

While I have traveled a bit on Amtrak, this is the first time I am traveling with my un-boxed bicycle. The ticket states what I need to do but I was wondering if Amtrak handles moving the bike between connecting trains (if so can I just keep my bike in the Boston Baggage car for the Chicago (Toledo) segments? Is it worth trying to call them to see if they will only charge me for one segment on the trains that I switch in Albany?

Also does anyone have any general advice for traveling Amtrak with a bicycle?

Thanks in advance.

Bike transportation on Amtrak comes in 2 or 3 flavors. First there is the coach / bag car. This is where they have converted a coach baggage mainly for bicycles. One train that does this is the Capital Limited. There you have to hang the bike yourself.

On trains like the California Zephyr and Empire Builder, you hand the bike to an attendant in the baggage car.

On trains like the Missouri River Runner, you bring the bike into coach where they have a reserved place for bikes.

In each case you are responsible for transferring between trains. The only way Amtrak will transfer for you is if you box the bike which is fairly easy to do on Amtrak.

Keep in mind that if you do the curbside check in or the store yourself, there is up to a $20 fee for each leg of your trip.

I should add that if you are riding the Capital Limited (or any train where you hang your own), have a lock ready. There is no claim check so anyone can grab your bike.,Bring a light along too. Sometimes it is dark inside the car.

You will need a claim check for the CZ or the EB so make sure you arrive early.

Thanks. I will be on the CZ as well as the Lake Shore limited, Coast Starlight, Sunset limited and the City of New Orleans. I do have a good lock. I will also be on the San Diagian and the Cascades. I believe the last two the bikes are carried in the coach car. Also I did pay the $20 / leg fee for my trips. The funny thing is they charged me twice on the Lake Shore Limited as I technically change trains in Albany. Even if I can't get them to resend the extra charge, it was still cheaper to do it this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CZ and the Starlight are the hand it to the attendant trains. Not sure about the others.

It might be cheaper and easier to ship ahead with all of those legs. Unless of course, you want the bike at each of those stops.

Bikeflights has very reasonable prices on shipping.

I think you mean the Surfliner, not the San Diegan? Assuming it's the standard two-level train (I think there's still one single level train set, but it's been a while since I've ridden it) there's a designated bike car. It'll be at the end of the train (i.e. furthest away from the engine). You load your bike on the lower level and put it in the rack. You can sit with your bike or not -- seats aren't reserved. There's no charge for bikes on the Surfliner, but you do need a reservation.

I think you mean the Surfliner, not the San Diegan? Assuming it's the standard two-level train (I think there's still one single level train set, but it's been a while since I've ridden it) there's a designated bike car. It'll be at the end of the train (i.e. furthest away from the engine). You load your bike on the lower level and put it in the rack. You can sit with your bike or not -- seats aren't reserved. There's no charge for bikes on the Surfliner, but you do need a reservation.
The Surfliner used to be called the San Diegan.

Back