Texas Eagle Dining Car - video of my experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jet Peddler

Train Attendant
Hi all! Amtrak newbie here. Took my first ever trip on Amtrak from DC to San Antonio this May. I found the food and dining car to be fantastic on both trains I rode during my journey.

I made a short video of my experience. Thought you all might enjoy it. Looking forward to enjoying this forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you had a great trip. One (minor) question though: How did you calculate that the Texas Eagle dining car seats 66? By my count it seats 54.

Welcome to AU, and thanks for sharing your Video from my Home Train!There are some really good Chefs and OBS on the Eagle Route.

Notable is the Culinary Advisory Team shown in the Menu!

Sadly, they will probably be replaced by The Marx Brothers or Curley,Moe and Larry, touting the New "Contemporary and Fresh Cuisine" coming soon to all of the LD Trains as the Flyboys in DC continue turning Amtrak into a No Frills Budget Travel Option with High Prices!

OTOL lists diner as 72, not sure if anything has come out to create a storage spot, but I count 18 tables of 4 on the diagrams.....
That's a CCC on the Eagle,not a Regular Diner, and I have never seen the,"Lounge" part of the Car used as Diner during my many,many trips on the Texas Eagle.
It generally serves as a Lounge for the Crew and office for the Conductors.

I didn't even think of the CCC, even though I rode the TE to Dallas last year. Those are listed as 64 seats, but I don't know the breakdown between the sides. I sort of remember some odd 3 seat tables but don't have a clear picture in my mind, and I don't have a reference diagram to look at.

I didn't even think of the CCC, even though I rode the TE to Dallas last year. Those are listed as 64 seats, but I don't know the breakdown between the sides. I sort of remember some odd 3 seat tables but don't have a clear picture in my mind, and I don't have a reference diagram to look at.
One side is 10 four person tables and the other side consists of two four person tables and two of the weird 3-seat booths. So even if both ends were used (which as Jim pointed out, the lounge end never is), total capacity would be 54 people.

JERK!!!!

You would post this the night before I board the Silver Star at NYP, AKA Silver Starvation - no diner at all!

At least I'm coming back on the Meteor with a full diner!!! It may well be one of my last meals in a diner (and not 'Sleeper Lounge'...ever!)

JERK!!!!

You would post this the night before I board the Silver Star at NYP, AKA Silver Starvation - no diner at all!

At least I'm coming back on the Meteor with a full diner!!! It may well be one of my last meals in a diner (and not 'Sleeper Lounge'...ever!)
Yep, what a terrible person. Joining this site and then posting a video from a recent trip on Amtrak. Absolutely unacceptable. (Just for the record, I know you were kidding.)

I think the sarcasm detector went off.... So I would have sat on the regular table side as the diner, I don't remember the layout on the other side. OTOL has them as 64, that would be a few more tables, but I don't have a floorplan, so until other information pops up, I'll stick 54 into the back of my head....

One side is 10 four person tables and the other side consists of two four person tables and two of the weird 3-seat booths. So even if both ends were used (which as Jim pointed out, the lounge end never is), total capacity would be 54 people.
This picture shows the mix of tables on both sides. http://www.trainsandtravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/2009-NARP-trip-020.jpg

2009-NARP-trip-020.jpg

This picture shows the mix of tables on both sides. http://www.trainsandtravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/2009-NARP-trip-020.jpg
2009-NARP-trip-020.jpg
There used to be a 50/50 split of regular tables and 3-seat booths, but since the latter reduced capacity and are stupid, they ended up replacing all the booths in the diner section with tables.

I can't imagine too many people like sitting with their backs to the window. To avoid offending some people, I will not expand on the why one never sits with their back to the window at certain restaurants concept, at least in some particular NYC places.

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited forum!

And thanks so much for sharing your trip with us! Very nicely done.
default_smile.png

I can't imagine too many people like sitting with their backs to the window. To avoid offending some people, I will not expand on the why one never sits with their back to the window at certain restaurants concept, at least in some particular NYC places.
The 3-tops were regularly referred to as "Mafia Booths."

Ok I am the guy who always asks for a table at a restaurant because the booths are not good for my gorgeous big belly (my dad had one too and called it his toolshed!). So how much belly room is available in those booths? Will they package your order "to go"? This would allow you take your meal back to your seat and eat if the booths aren't comfortable?

Ok I am the guy who always asks for a table at a restaurant because the booths are not good for my gorgeous big belly (my dad had one too and called it his toolshed!). So how much belly room is available in those booths? Will they package your order "to go"? This would allow you take your meal back to your seat and eat if the booths aren't comfortable?
Sorry, are you asking about how much space you'd have in the weird three person booths in the pictures and videos above, which you wouldn't be seated in anyway, or are you talking about all tables/booths in Amtrak dining cars? If it's the latter, I would say that most people with a pretty big belly would fit pretty comfortably, but if you're REALLY overweight, you might end up kind of crushed. You can have your meals brought to your seat or room by your car attendant, but you're generally not allowed to bring them back yourself. Usually if you have leftovers they'll put it in a container and let you take it back yourself, but you can't just go to the dining car, pick up your meal and take it to your seat.

Meal in room is available, meal at seat for mobility limited is available, so I know they can pack food to go, but whether it is done for regular passengers, I cant answer.
I think that if you're just too big to fit in the dining car, they would understand that you're just not physically able to eat there, and would be fine with bringing your meals to your seat.

I've got a lot more unused footage from my trip. I could make about 5-6 more videos on subjects like the Lounge Car, tours of the 3 different types of sleeping compartment on the Texas Eagle, entire train tour, trip review, etc.

Anything in particular anyone would find entertaining or helpful... Or not?

Please let me know. Thanks!

I've got a lot more unused footage from my trip. I could make about 5-6 more videos on subjects like the Lounge Car, tours of the 3 different types of sleeping compartment on the Texas Eagle, entire train tour, trip review, etc.

Probably a lot of that would be helpful. If you have the time to do so, it would be great if you could post more! Just for the record though, there are actually four types of sleeping compartments.
default_smile.png

Some people might find a visual of the difference between A, and B-E in SL bedroom useful, too. East coast riders who don't see SL don't always "get" the family b/r. The SL vs VL debate will go on forever,

Probably a lot of that would be helpful. If you have the time to do so, it would be great if you could post more! Just for the record though, there are actually four types of sleeping compartments.
default_smile.png
I've got a video of the Lounge/Cafe'/Snack Bar car I'll post in another thread. Thanks!

Back