Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

NJ Transit Crew Shortages

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,719 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:36 PM

You cannot get an extension approved without first installing all the hardware along the track! The purpose of the extension is only to give more time for testing and certification, not for installing hardware.

#22 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:40 PM

Ah, okay--thanks, jis.

I will be the first to admit I am very confused about the steps and the order and everything else connected with PTC.

If NJT has to put PTC in place on the Dinky tracks, they will leave it til last and it will not get done for months. And, of course, this may be another attempt to kill it off--the Dinky has had to fight for its existence before.

Is there a possibility that the law could be changed and the Dinky and other trains in similar situations could get an exemption? After all, it is the only train using the tracks, it moves very slowly (I've been on redcap carts that move about 10 times as fast), it constantly blows its horn to warn people it's coming, and I just can't see it being a danger to anyone, even without PTC.

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 20 September 2018 - 02:50 PM.

#23 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:06 AM

Fun fact: A few weeks ago my dad and were taking NJT to my Aunt/Uncle's place, and our train was cancelled because apparently they didn't have an engineer. We ended up having to wait an hour for the next train in the lovely lovely NJ Transit Penn Station waiting room.  :angry:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#24 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:37 AM

See why I am going all the way up to Albany and all the way back down to Alexandria just to avoid NJT out of Penn Station on a Saturday (and possibly ending up in Trenton in the middle of the night)? :P (Plus I promised myself a long trip for fall around the Gathering, so there's that, too! :))

Here is the latest scoop I have (from reliable sources, as far as I can tell, but I will not say who so they don't get in trouble):

The Dinky closure has nothing to do with PTC, and is not another attempt (as I thought) to kill off the Dinky. What these people told me is that NJT is so desperate for engineers (as you and your dad saw firsthand, cpotisch) that they are closing down the Dinky til mid-January just so they can grab the few engineers from the Dinky to work on their commuter routes into New York City.

They also, as far as I know, will have to re-bid to get the Dinky job again, which is a shame for the nice guys running it right now :(. I can understand, though, because it is the route everyone wants.

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 24 September 2018 - 11:37 AM.

• daybeers likes this

#25 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,719 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 24 September 2018 - 12:50 PM

That is partly true of the ACRL closure too. Merely for doing PTC they did not have to shut the line down. That is just more of a smokescreen to work around staffing problems.

#26 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:10 AM

Just checked the updates.

For today's commute, the planned and announced changes were to add five trains and cancel three.

They have now cancelled an additional three.

So the "extra" getaway service is essentially one train less than there would have normally been. :huh:

But maybe they have cancelled fewer trains than they were intending to cancel, so it's actually a net improvement?  :)

• Mystic River Dragon likes this

#27 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:12 AM

Good theory, but I bet if that had happened, they would have been bragging about it! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users