Dinner served on 50?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeRids

Service Attendant
Is dinner still served on train 50 since it has been terminating in DC? I am traveling in a sleeper this Sunday.

Is dinner still served on train 50 since it has been terminating in DC? I am traveling in a sleeper this Sunday.
I took 50 August 11-12 and dinner was not served on the second day, even though we were over 4 hours late into DC. The cafe car also closes just west of Charlottesville, and only reopens briefly between there and DC, so make sure you eat when you can.

I took 50 August 11-12 and dinner was not served on the second day, even though we were over 4 hours late into DC. The cafe car also closes just west of Charlottesville, and only reopens briefly between there and DC, so make sure you eat when you can.
The issue of no Dinner is something worth filing a complaint about!

Haven't you heard? All Amtrak food is inedible and contains high portions of salt and other things that will kill you. You're lucky to avoid these dangers.
We're talking about the Cardinal here, which doesn't have "contemporary dining". So the Cardinal's meals have not been the issue lately.

Yes, before the CL and LSL were converted, the inferiority of the Card compared to both of them during discussions of the 3 East Coast to Chicago trains always put the Card at the bottom, even during the diner shortage when the LSL ran no grill was a very common area of comment.

Haven't you heard? All Amtrak food is inedible and contains high portions of salt and other things that will kill you. You're lucky to avoid these dangers.
Translation: "Haven't you heard? Some people are disappointed with Amtrak's food selection and quality relative to the cost and duration of travel. You're lucky I chose to interpret any dissent as if it were mouth foaming gibberish."

The issue of no Dinner is something worth filing a complaint about!
I'm not sure they have enough time to serve dinner if the train is operating on time. They could probably extend lunch or have the abbreviated service. Even that is tough since lunch finishes at 3:30p and the train is supposed to arrive at 6p.

At any rate, by the time they address this, the train will have resumed operations to NYP.

Just got back from a VERY relaxing ride on 50; on time all the way. Boarding at Thurmond, WV was an experience in itself. And guess what, they DID offer dinner, sort of. They left some beef and chicken dinners for us to eat in our rooms or in the lounge prior to WAS arrival. Overall, add in the sleeper and business class lounge, and the downgrading of meals on the LSL and CL, and this may be the premier way to travel between the east coast and Chicago. BTW, I wonder when the second sleeper comes off; our train had only 1.

The second sleeper did not run on 50/51 this summer. This was account reduced sleeper inventory due to the Silver Star wreck or reduced demand due to the termination at DC depending on who you ask.

Back