California Zephyr actual schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KleShreen

Train Attendant
I apologize in advance because I know I saw this answer before, but I can not find it anymore.

I believe there was a website which keeps track of the actual arrival times of different Amtrak routes compared to the scheduled arrival times, to give an idea of how far behind/ahead they run. Can anyone provide me with that?

I'm taking the CZ from Chicago to Emeryville and then taking the bus across the bay to San Francisco, and my airbnb host stops taking check-ins at 6 p.m. Pacific, and I think the bus is supposed to arrive at like 5:35 p.m. Pacific. I just want to see if I should try and make arrangements for possibly checking in later than 6 if the train is going to be running late.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking the CZ from Chicago to Emeryville and then taking the bus across the bay to San Francisco, and my airbnb host stops taking check-ins at 6 p.m. Pacific, and I think the bus is supposed to arrive at like 5:35 p.m. Pacific. I just want to see if I should try and make arrangements for possibly checking in later than 6 if the train is going to be running late.

Thank you!
Yes. That connection is far too close. You'd make arrangements for a late check-in if you were cutting it that close by air or by highway, wouldn't you? Doubly so by rail.

My preferred site for real-time train status is https://asm.transitdocs.com/map. I'll defer to the other posters for historical records of on-time performance. But definitely, definitely plan for the possibility of a late arrival.

Thank you!
Yes. That connection is far too close. You'd make arrangements for a late check-in if you were cutting it that close by air or by highway, wouldn't you? Doubly so by rail.

My preferred site for real-time train status is https://asm.transitdocs.com/map. I'll defer to the other posters for historical records of on-time performance. But definitely, definitely plan for the possibility of a late arrival.
Thank you for the link! That is very helpful!

For checking overall Amtrak arrival times, I prefer this site. It offers plenty of parameters for adjustments and shows OTP of a given train over as long a period as you want. The ASM map is more useful for seeing where everything is right now, but not for seeing overall on time performance.

For checking overall Amtrak arrival times, I prefer this site. It offers plenty of parameters for adjustments and shows OTP of a given train over as long a period as you want. The ASM map is more useful for seeing where everything is right now, but not for seeing overall on time performance.
Thank you! That was the page I had seen before that I couldn't remember.

Looks like for the last month, my train that starts on Sundays has arrived in Emeryville 52 minutes early, 48 minutes late, 1 hour early, and 15 minutes early.

Hope that trend continues!

6:00 PM seems kind of early to stop taking check-ins, but then, I have only stayed at a B&B one time, so am not that familiar with them...

What happens if you arrive after 6? If the host states that they stop taking check ins after 6 you might have issues. The train could easily be a couple of hours late into emy.
Guess we'll just get a hotel instead! Haha

I warned the host we may be late, and he gave us his number to text him updates, but also added "we'll just really hope you're here by 7" so there's a little flexibility I suppose? Hopefully it won't be an issue!

Question for everyone - Per this: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/timetables/California-Zephyr-Schedule-072017.pdf

Am I reading that schedule correctly in that the stops those of us who are passengers will be able to get off at to stretch/get some fresh air are going to be Omaha, Lincoln, Denver, SLC, Sacramento? I'm guessing all the stops which have the arrow through them are just quick stops to get people on and off?
For the most part, yes. Those stops which show both an arrival and a separate departure time are where the train is intended to have "dwell time" for crew changes, enroute inspections, anticipated baggage/express handling, or simply as padding to help make up time. If the train is late arriving at the station that dwell time can/will be cut down to help get back on schedule, but the train will not depart prior to the time listed in the timetable.

For smaller stations the train generally leaves just as soon as passengers embark/disembark. However, here again the train will never leave early (except at discharge-only stations marked with D or the handful of small stations, mostly commuter points, marked with L). So, if the train arrives at an enroute stop early, it will "wait for time." I have seen Sanderson, Texas...normally the tiniest of flag stops...become a smoke stop once when the Sunset Limited arrived there twelve minutes ahead of schedule and the conductor said to open the doors!

Question for everyone - Per this: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/timetables/California-Zephyr-Schedule-072017.pdf

Am I reading that schedule correctly in that the stops those of us who are passengers will be able to get off at to stretch/get some fresh air are going to be Omaha, Lincoln, Denver, SLC, Sacramento? I'm guessing all the stops which have the arrow through them are just quick stops to get people on and off?
There are others. If the train is running reasonably well, Galesburg, Ottumwa, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction and Reno are additional fresh air/stretch/smoking stops since they are crew/service locations.

Where is your AirBnB? Even if you were to arrive at 5:35, that time of day in SOMA is slow moving for cars if it's a weekday, sometimes on the weekend as well. If you're going somewhere in the immediate area you'll be okay. As long as you're open and communicative with your host, they should still take care of you. If they don't, they're not a great host. I've had bad hosts before, and if you run into problems that are outside of your control and the host doesn't make it work, I'd suggest contacting AirBnB and have them reaccommodate you. They often will if it's no fault of your own.

Where is your AirBnB? Even if you were to arrive at 5:35, that time of day in SOMA is slow moving for cars if it's a weekday, sometimes on the weekend as well. If you're going somewhere in the immediate area you'll be okay. As long as you're open and communicative with your host, they should still take care of you. If they don't, they're not a great host. I've had bad hosts before, and if you run into problems that are outside of your control and the host doesn't make it work, I'd suggest contacting AirBnB and have them reaccommodate you. They often will if it's no fault of your own.
We're staying on a sailboat that is docked in Pier 39, so it should be essentially right next to the bus stop at Fisherman's Wharf.

That’s an interesting accommodation. I hope it works out.
Me too! It's got over a thousand reviews on airbnb, so it seems legit! Haha. It was the cheapest thing in the area. Apparently the guy rents out this and two yachts all in Pier 39.
Let us know how it turns out. We might try it sometime. It sounds fun. Do they let you take it out?

Me too! It's got over a thousand reviews on airbnb, so it seems legit! Haha. It was the cheapest thing in the area. Apparently the guy rents out this and two yachts all in Pier 39.
Let us know how it turns out. We might try it sometime. It sounds fun. Do they let you take it out?
They do not. Gotta stay tied up at the dock. But they do say you can sit on the deck and see Alcatraz from the boat, so I'm sure it is a good view regardless.

They do not. Gotta stay tied up at the dock. But they do say you can sit on the deck and see Alcatraz from the boat, so I'm sure it is a good view regardless.
I love unusual overnight venues like this! I've stayed in cabooses, yurts, "haunted houses," boats, a former fire tower near a forest, and an Aboriginal lodge.

There are others. If the train is running reasonably well, Galesburg, Ottumwa, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction and Reno are additional fresh air/stretch/smoking stops since they are crew/service locations.
Speaking of what you said here, isn't there one stop between Salt Lake City and Reno that's sometimes called as a brief stretch/smoking stop, if the train is running on time? Some poster supposedly once mentioned that(not sure on which thread or which particular poster), and the stickied thread doesn't mention if it was Winnemucca or Elko that can be called as a brief stretch/smoke stop if time allows. I'm sure it's one of those very short stretch stops, if the Ca. Zephyr were to run on time. ETA: from checking arrival and departure train status times from what is available on Amtrak's website for each of the last few days, looks like the stretch/smoke stop is mainly Winnemucca. And that Elko would only be called as one, if the train was running on time to there.

And as for the OP, I'd definitely would plan that SF trip as if you won't make it there to your AirBNB at 6pm by some bizarre chance. Since looking at the schedule, you are cutting it close to 6pm with that schedule. Delays often can happen with Amtrak long distance trains, with little notice. And ALWAYS opt in for the text message alerts to your cell phone, right when you first make your Amtrak reservation. Since I found that very helpful, when I did a Pittsburgh trip not long ago and the train coming west for Pittsburgh(to Chicago) ran 2.5 hours late between DC and Pittsburgh because of freight train delays.

IIRC, Winnemucca became a non - smoking stop after the city fathers said”Enough!” to too many smokers leaving their butts on the ground around the station platforms. Don’t know what the rule is at Elko, where eastbound trains often arrive early and have long dwells waiting for their scheduled departure time.

Speaking of what you said here, isn't there one stop between Salt Lake City and Reno that's sometimes called as a brief stretch/smoking stop, if the train is running on time? Some poster supposedly once mentioned that(not sure on which thread or which particular poster), and the stickied thread doesn't mention if it was Winnemucca or Elko that can be called as a brief stretch/smoke stop if time allows. I'm sure it's one of those very short stretch stops, if the Ca. Zephyr were to run on time. ETA: from checking arrival and departure train status times from what is available on Amtrak's website for each of the last few days, looks like the stretch/smoke stop is mainly Winnemucca. And that Elko would only be called as one, if the train was running on time to there.

And as for the OP, I'd definitely would plan that SF trip as if you won't make it there to your AirBNB at 6pm by some bizarre chance. Since looking at the schedule, you are cutting it close to 6pm with that schedule. Delays often can happen with Amtrak long distance trains, with little notice. And ALWAYS opt in for the text message alerts to your cell phone, right when you first make your Amtrak reservation. Since I found that very helpful, when I did a Pittsburgh trip not long ago and the train coming west for Pittsburgh(to Chicago) ran 2.5 hours late between DC and Pittsburgh because of freight train delays.
Thanks!

Looks like this past Sunday's originating train ended up arriving at EMY about 14 minutes early according to the link posted earlier. That makes 5 of the last 6 Sunday origin trains from Chicago arriving early. Hopefully they can make that 6 of 7 this Sunday =)

locations.
Winnemucca is a crew change location, so the train may dwell there for a few minutes. However, it is not a designated fresh air stop.

Back