Current Amtrak documentation on max daytime sleeper accommodations?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak used to document (on web site and Standards manual the maximum number of passengers in a room for daytime travel as it was more than for overnight. I can't find that on their web site any more. Anyone know where it is documented?

Amtrak used to document (on web site and Standards manual the maximum number of passengers in a room for daytime travel as it was more than for overnight. I can't find that on their web site any more. Anyone know where it is documented?
I honestly do not understand why Amtrak would need to micromanage who gets to be in a room you paid for, so long as they aren't spending the night in a separate bed which of course should be paid for. It's not like a guest in your sleeping compartment is going to get a "free" meal out of it! Would we tolerate this in a hotel?

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly do not understand why Amtrak would need to micromanage who gets to be in a room you paid for, so long as they aren't spending the night in a separate bed which of course should be paid for. It's not like a guest in your sleeping compartment is going to get a "free" meal out of it! Would we tolerate this in a hotel?
Actually, the more people that they let into a room, the more people would be getting "free" meals. If there are five people in a room, five people are getting free rooms. Letting coach passengers into your room is another story, which has been talked about dozens of times in other threads.

Thanks everyone. My wife and I will have a roomette each from GSP to NYP. Son, DIL and grandson are thinking of driving to and parking in Manassas and joining us to NYP. With only two to room, we could accommodate 2 adults but not 8 y/o also if they buy open sleeper tix. So they'd have to get one roomette and then we'd have room for the third with us.

It's not really comparable to a hotel, you are paying for another class of service on the train. In order to ride in "sleeping class" you should have a "sleeping class" ticket.

quote from above comment:

(It's not really comparable to a hotel, you are paying for another class of service on the train. In order to ride in "sleeping class" you should have a "sleeping class" ticket.)

A couple things to consider there. For a long time one passenger was paying for a bedroom for him or her self. Somewhere along the line since the room will sleep two they decided to change for two fares even if one person used the room. Thats part of the way the cost became high for individual riders.

Recently we took the train to Chicago and returned in a sleeper. My mom paid the full fare and for that full fare two other passengers could also ride in it by paying the basic rail fare. In reality the two fares were already paid for to sleep in the room if we had wished. Since we were detraining around 1 am and no beds were used the third adult could also ride with us in the room. We all were actually first class passengers at that point. I had a case once where some good friends of mine were going from Chicago to New Orleans. I met them in Chicago and rode back to Southern Illinois coach and they occupied a bedroom. When we had dinner, (at that time they still had real meals), the waiter said he would put me on the room since we were all going the same place till I got off. I rode with them in their room till it got late and they wanted to have the beds down, then I went back to coach and left the train at my station an hour or so later. He probably offered the meal due to the fact as the chart above showed, three adults can be accommodated in one Bedroom for day travel. Had my one friend purchased the room alone he would have paid about the same as if the two people who went all the way to New Orleans did. It sort of means they aren't loosing money by having an extra passenger when the room is already cost twice what it did years back.

Hotels do have maximum occupancy numbers per room and DO CHARGE extra for additional people. Just because you got away with it, does not mean it does not exist. For my trip to Salzburg this winter, I had to book two rooms because the maximum occupancy per room is only 2 and we are three. Much harder to dodge in foreign countries since they record all the occupants and take down everyones passport info.

On the Sunset Limited twelve years ago, a waiter told me of a group of eight who had booked a single Roomette between them and kept swapping out to/from coach. All eight of them tried to claim the free meals.

There's an error in the chart. For party size three, it shows a combination of one adult and three children is permitted in a Roomette. Obviously, this is an error because it is a party size of four people. It should be one adult and two children is permitted. Under party size four, it can be seen that one adult and three children is NOT permitted in a Roomette.

And as an aside, why in the world is adult "F" and child "H"?

Full Fare/Half Fare
Not sure which railroads used them, but there used to be "1/2" ticket punches that either the Conductors or Ticket Agents (or both) used when selling tickets.

While e-tickets are nice, I do miss looking at the unique ticket punch on my ticket from the different Conductors.

I think that should read 1F-2H, under party of 4 1F-3H is not allowed in a roomette. Maybe someone with a later edition knows if it was corrected, looks like a simple typo.

I think that should read 1F-2H, under party of 4 1F-3H is not allowed in a roomette. Maybe someone with a later edition knows if it was corrected, looks like a simple typo.
This was already mentioned:

There's an error in the chart. For party size three, it shows a combination of one adult and three children is permitted in a Roomette. Obviously, this is an error because it is a party size of four people. It should be one adult and two children is permitted. Under party size four, it can be seen that one adult and three children is NOT permitted in a Roomette.

A slightly newer version.

attachicon.gif
IMG_6241.jpg
Is "8-91" the date of its last revision?

As far as “micromanaging”, the last thing I want when I’m in a sleeping car is some inconsiderate jerkwad with a dozen people in the room having a party. The max limits literally are the most number of people than can comfortably (and safely) put in each room type.
In a similar situation, I have to deal with a group where one person pays for a roomette, and the rest of their party pays for coach. They then "tag team" share the roomette. Once an hour, throughout the night, I would here someone from coach banging on the roomette-next-door, door, trying to wake up the person who is in there, so they can have their turn. Add in some shouting, and slamming of the roomette's door. Pretty bad trip for me.

A slightly newer version.

attachicon.gif
IMG_6241.jpg
Is "8-91" the date of its last revision?

As far as “micromanaging”, the last thing I want when I’m in a sleeping car is some inconsiderate jerkwad with a dozen people in the room having a party. The max limits literally are the most number of people than can comfortably (and safely) put in each room type.
In a similar situation, I have to deal with a group where one person pays for a roomette, and the rest of their party pays for coach. They then "tag team" share the roomette. Once an hour, throughout the night, I would here someone from coach banging on the roomette-next-door, door, trying to wake up the person who is in there, so they can have their turn. Add in some shouting, and slamming of the roomette's door. Pretty bad trip for me.
Exactly. It bothers other sleeper passengers, often confuses the SCA and crew, rips off Amtrak, etc. If you want a sleeper, pay for it. Don't ruin it for everyone else because you're cheap.

Unless there is a unique situation, I really think it should be a rule that only ticketed sleeping car passengers are permitted in the sleeping cars. No visitors.

Most of my sleeping car travels have been solo. I'm not paying for 2 people, I'm paying the price of my room and paying the price for my base fare.

The other thing is, if you so badly want that person to come to your room, and they can fit, why not just put them on your sleeper reservation? Instead of bringing them in as "guests", just ticket them in your sleeper. It should be this simple: if you're ticketed for a room, you're (obviously) allowed in the sleeper. If you're not, you have to stay where you are ticketed. I don't understand why this is so hard for so many people to accept.

Technically, that is the way things are. Only ticketed sleeper passengers are allowed in the sleepers. Some SCA's enforce it more than others. If I rode where someone was doing an obvious and disruptive tag team I would talk to the SCA about it, and if no action was taken, to the conductor. Luckily, I've never been in a situation something that disruptive occurred.

Recently, on a trip from Seattle to LA, I had a friend ride with me between Tacoma and Portland. I got her an "open sleeper" ticket and she was on the sleeper manifest, all proper. Only thing was, since the "open sleeper" has to be a value (paper) ticket, not an eTicket, they never did lift it.
default_wacko.png

Technically, that is the way things are. Only ticketed sleeper passengers are allowed in the sleepers. Some SCA's enforce it more than others. If I rode where someone was doing an obvious and disruptive tag team I would talk to the SCA about it, and if no action was taken, to the conductor. Luckily, I've never been in a situation something that disruptive occurred.
I thought of that, but also came to the conclusion it would be at least highly inconvenient, if not simply futile.

By the time I got dressed enough to go wandering for a SCA, the disruption would be over. If I could get the SCA to check, all he'll find is one or two people claiming to be sleeping in the subject roomette. At that point, it becomes my word against theirs; a no win (unless someone else sticks their head of their roomette to support me). I doubt the SCA would then stand guard for the next hour, to see if some coach passenger tries to enter the sleeping car for their turn in the subject roomette.

Back