Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Stolen and crashed Horizon airliner

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

Oh, well ERJs are a whole other story. Smaller CRJs are still pretty common,

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#22 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:09 AM

They are very common,but in greatly reduced numbers.
  • cpotisch likes this

#23 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:24 AM

The 50 seaters are indeed greatly reduced. They are still going to small cities though. Some regionals still operate as many as they can staff because they are really cheap now. Delta has relegated them to mainly operate in the middle of the country now. You know, can't put those coastal elites on those small torture tubes.

• cpotisch likes this
Amtrak Miles: 209,015 (as of 7/23/18)

#24 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, business, politics, and military history.

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:42 PM

So now, this will create a whole new can of worms for aircraft operating area security procedures, in an effort to prevent any recurrence's.   They require a lengthy background check for all ground worker's to access the area, but perhaps they will add psyche evaluation's as well...
Not sure if this guy would have been detected that way or not, as he sounded depressed, but otherwise sane.   Perhaps some system of tighter aircraft security, with no access by less than two people at a time, or something like that... :unsure:

Solution from Gun nuts,the NRA and Right Wing Politicians bought and paid for by them:

If everyone working around Airports is armed, they can prevent this from happening again, just like arming teachers will stop School Shootings.

What could possibly go wrong?

I am a gun enthusiast and this is a false accusation and grave misrepresentation. Even if everyone had guns, this guy could have stolen the plane anyway since he did it covertly. If he hadn't done it covertly, he wouldn't have been able to steal it anyway. No one in the gun community is advocating for "everyone working around Airports" to be armed.

You still see them all over the place because there were so many. AA went from over 200 ERJ 145 to around 80 last year Now 80 is not a small number, but they got rid of loads. Delta also. They are adding more larger RJs (E-170/175) and CRJ-700 and 900 wherever possible as contracts expire or at wholly owned subsidiaries.United a little slower, but catching up. Also, airlines may fly planes on certain routes where they make sense but eliminate them in lots of other places. I have seen plenty at both JFK and LGA, but not as many as a few years ago.

They brought back most of them into service. Now AA has 40 E140 and 121 E145 in service, but the CR2 is getting gutted. Perhaps a totally different situation at DL or UA, but the E-Jets are generally pretty nice rides. The Skywest CR7 is terrible in comparison.

Edited by Swadian Hardcore, 13 August 2018 - 04:44 PM.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#25 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:38 PM

Well at least AA's smallest E135 37 seater's are long gone...

Riding those were as close to a 'corporate jet' as I ever got... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#26 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,596 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:57 PM

Ditto!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#27 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:12 PM

Just what I was afraid of...another stolen airplane and crash....

https://abcnews.go.c...ory?id=57152375

While the circumstances were much different in the latter case, a licensed pilot this time, and a business aircraft, I still have to wonder what the possibility was of the news of the first event, inspiring this one....

And I certainly hope there are not any more....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#28 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:37 PM

Ditto!

Amen!

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#29 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

Just what I was afraid of...another stolen airplane and crash....
https://abcnews.go.c...ory?id=57152375

While the circumstances were much different in the latter case, a licensed pilot this time, and a business aircraft, I still have to wonder what the possibility was of the news of the first event, inspiring this one....

And I certainly hope there are not any more....

This actually reminds me of this January 2002 incident, which was apparently directly inspired by the 9/11 attacks.

(Something the Wikipedia article doesn't specifically call out is that January 5, 2002, was a Saturday, and particularly in the evening hours, the building was all but deserted.)

#30 XHRTSP

XHRTSP

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:29 PM

There was another incident a few years later where a man flew his airplane into the IRS building in downtown Austin.

#31 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:05 AM

In my eye's, the most heinous of all was this one  https://en.wikipedia...tAir_Flight_990

While it wasn't as bad as the 9-11 disaster, it was not "for a cause",  but rather just a suicide....

People wanting to end their lives should simply swallow a bottle of sleeping pills, and not put their misery on innocent other's....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#32 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:04 PM

In my eye's, the most heinous of all was this one  https://en.wikipedia...tAir_Flight_990

While it wasn't as bad as the 9-11 disaster, it was not "for a cause",  but rather just a suicide....

People wanting to end their lives should simply swallow a bottle of sleeping pills, and not put their misery on innocent other's....

For me, this is the most disturbing one. For weeks, I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Edited by cpotisch, 15 August 2018 - 04:08 PM.

• PVD likes this

#33 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:14 PM

For me, this is the most disturbing one. For weeks, I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Maybe that was the one I was thinking about...mixed them up....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#34 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:56 AM

Some years ago, a teenager student pilot crashed his plane into an office building in Tampa. By chance he hit the office of an attorney friend of mine who happened not to be working that Saturday.

No one was hurt other than the pilot who was killed.

#35 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:05 AM

You almost certainly were. That EgyptAir flight was not a suicide. Also, since you said that someone wanting to end their life should "simply swallow a bottle of sleeping pills", wouldn't it be a bit better for them to seek help and not kill themselves, or anyone else? Just a thought.

• PRR 60 likes this

#36 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:20 PM

The  NTSB ruled that the probable cause of the Eygpt Air crash was most likely the deliberate action of the reserve first officer. That would be suicide. That finding was unacceptable to Egyptian Authorities who reached a different set of conclusions.. 

• cpotisch likes this

#37 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:20 AM

since you said that someone wanting to end their life should "simply swallow a bottle of sleeping pills", wouldn't it be a bit better for them to seek help and not kill themselves, or anyone else? Just a thought.

Yes, they should definitely seek out help by at least calling the national suicide prevention hotline.   I am just saying that if they still are determined to go though with it, they should not take innocent victims with them...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#38 snvboy

snvboy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:17 AM

I am surprised that nobody - and I haven't seen it in the media either - have made reference to the 1999 Air Botswana crash, that is eerily similar to the current Horizon one. A disaffected employee, in this case a pilot who had lost his certification multiple times, stole an airplane (the same class as plane as in Horizon Q400, an ATR-42), flew around the airport for a few hours, then crashed it. In the case of Air Botswana, the pilot crashed into the other two ATR-42 on the ground, which made up the remainder of the airworthy Air Botswana fleet. This caused the already struggling airline to lease more planes, putting it even deeper into a financial hole.

#39 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

I am surprised that nobody - and I haven't seen it in the media either - have made reference to the 1999 Air Botswana crash, that is eerily similar to the current Horizon one. A disaffected employee, in this case a pilot who had lost his certification multiple times, stole an airplane (the same class as plane as in Horizon Q400, an ATR-42), flew around the airport for a few hours, then crashed it. In the case of Air Botswana, the pilot crashed into the other two ATR-42 on the ground, which made up the remainder of the airworthy Air Botswana fleet. This caused the already struggling airline to lease more planes, putting it even deeper into a financial hole.

But in that case, the guy *crashed into the airport* and destroyed two other planes. With this Horizon incident he took it on a "joyride" and crashed into an uninhabited island. He destroyed the plane and himself, but that's it. Also, the ATR-42 isn't really the same class as a Q400. It holds about half as many passengers as the latter.

#40 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:17 AM

But in that case, the guy *crashed into the airport* and destroyed two other planes. With this Horizon incident he took it on a "joyride" and crashed into an uninhabited island. He destroyed the plane and himself, but that's it. Also, the ATR-42 isn't really the same class as a Q400. It holds about half as many passengers as the latter.

Just as a minor clarification, there are people living on Ketron Island but no one was injured on the ground. 

• cpotisch likes this

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    86,889 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users