Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

California Zephyr in March

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Peregrine66

Peregrine66

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:18 AM

I'm looking at booking from Reno to Emeryville. However on my preferred date (Saturday March 16th), Amtrak shows the train as already sold out - all other dates around that are still available. Is the Zephyr really sold out already that far in advance, or just not running or diverted on that one date?

#2 SCbogey

SCbogey

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

Check out http://trainjam.com

#3 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

From this board: Train Jam 2019: CZ (5) March 14-16, 2019

The train is fully reserved.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#4 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

You could purchase a ticket from Chicago to Emeryville departing Chicago on March 14, 2019 from the Trainjam website when they open for sale. But you will have to be quick about it — all tickets sell out in less than 24 hours, IIRC

#5 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

You could purchase a ticket from Chicago to Emeryville departing Chicago on March 14, 2019 from the Trainjam website when they open for sale. But you will have to be quick about it — all tickets sell out in less than 24 hours, IIRC

You'll also have to put up with a train full of developers on their computers (including the SSL).

Edited by cpotisch, 12 August 2018 - 06:42 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#6 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:53 PM

You'll also have to put up with a train full of developers on their computers (including the SSL).

And that is bad how?  (by saying "put up" you're implying its a bad thing).

#7 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:02 PM

And that is bad how?  (by saying "put up" you're implying its a bad thing).

Here's a sample of what Train Jam looks like. It's a guaranteed sold out train so it will be packed. To be clear, my dad's and a developer and I do programming as well, so that's not what I'm warning the OP about. Just that it will be a guaranteed packed train.

train_jam_observation_car.0-624x416.jpg

Also bear in mind that it's significantly more expensive than just buying a ticket through Amtrak and they'll also be obligated to take part in the event and do some developing. I'm sure they wouldn't make a big issue if the OP didn't work on a game with the other developers, but that is sort of the point of the whole event.

Edited by cpotisch, 12 August 2018 - 07:07 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#8 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:16 PM

I would not enjoy being on a train, a plane, a bus, a ship, in a restaurant...in fact anywhere over a long period when a large group dominates everything....that is unless, of course,

I am a part of that group....

I have been on a cruise, where a large convention dominated everything, closing popular otherwise public venues for "private event", etc.   Holding large blocks of seats to shows and things.  

I do research now, and avoid those situations... ;)

• cpotisch likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#9 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:37 PM

I would not enjoy being on a train, a plane, a bus, a ship, in a restaurant...in fact anywhere over a long period when a large group dominates everything....that is unless, of course,
I am a part of that group....
I have been on a cruise, where a large convention dominated everything, closing popular otherwise public venues for "private event", etc.   Holding large blocks of seats to shows and things.  
I do research now, and avoid those situations... ;)

This!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#10 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

I don’t think Trainjam rules require everyone to participate on the train in coding. Nor are possession of tickets to the Game Developers Conference required in order to ride this train.

Just be aware that there will be two people assigned to every roomette and bedroom and coach seat. Don’t know how many are assigned to each family room and handicapped room.

#11 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

I don’t think Trainjam rules require everyone to participate on the train in coding. Nor are possession of tickets to the Game Developers Conference required in order to ride this train.
Just be aware that there will be two people assigned to every roomette and bedroom and coach seat. Don’t know how many are assigned to each family room and handicapped room.

While I don’t think it said how many people go in each H room, there are two people in every other accommodation, including the Famiky Room.

#12 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:53 PM

Two people assigned to each coach seat? That's a little too much togetherness  for me.

• aka_marian likes this

#13 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:57 PM

Who in the heck wants to stare at a computer screen when you have that  beautiful view just outside the CZ window?

#14 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:51 AM

You can see a bunch of them in the picture above.

Hint: not everyone shares the same interests you do.
  • cpotisch likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#15 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

Who in the heck wants to stare at a computer screen when you have that  beautiful view just outside the CZ window?

Someone who is doing game developing, maybe?  :o

Edited by cpotisch, 16 August 2018 - 12:22 PM.

• Ryan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users