Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

AMTRAK Vermonter Station questions

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Roger Cole_*

Guest_Roger Cole_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:36 PM

I am considering a trip on the Vermonter from Wilmington, DE to Vermont next summer.  Since arrival would be mid to late evening, which stations from Essex Jct and farther north would have nearby motel accommodations and rental car agencies?  Since most rental car agencies would be closed when we arrive, we'd have to get a cab to a nearby motel and get the car the next day.  Are there any Enterprise agencies near one of those stations.  As I remember, they'll come and pick you up.  The specific stations are Essex Jct, Waterbury & Montpelier  Are there usually cabs waiting when this train arrives?

#2 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:09 PM

I went the other direction (south) on the Vermonter in June and took an Uber from my hotel in Burlington to the train station in Essex Junction.  Twenty years ago, I took a cab from Burlington to Essex Junction.

Amtrak miles: 244,301; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#3 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,203 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:17 PM

Essex Junction is the stop for Burlington.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#4 DCAKen

DCAKen

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:18 PM

You could take a cab to the Burlington VT airport and rent a car there. The large firms are generally open until midnight.

#5 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:29 PM

Essex jct. is the only stop of those three that regularly has a cab meeting the train. Don't know how close motels are tho....Waterbury has a nice B&B within walking distance of train station (less than a block) not sure about car rental....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users