Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

DC Red Line delays

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:08 PM

They're doing track work on the Red Line, no service btween NoMa and Ft Totten. That should mean normal service between Shady Grove and NoMa, right? Why not, they just turn the trains at NoMa instead of Glenmont. But, no such luck, headways are 5 minutes or even more, and this is during the rush hour when crush loads require headways of 2 minutes. Crowding is worse than usual, and ive been forced to use the 520 am marc train to make sure I get to work on time. Operational reasons why this should be so?

#2 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:19 PM

Equipment needs or physical plant limitations on where a set can cross over to the correct line for the platform or direction they are traveling would be my guess.

#3 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,239 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:04 PM

I have observed that they turn the trains at NoMa in the station, and do not do so in the adjacent yard. That may be part of what adds upto that 5 minute headway. I don't know why they operate the way they do, but probably there is a very reasonable explanation.

#4 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

I have observed that they turn the trains at NoMa in the station, and do not do so in the adjacent yard. That may be part of what adds upto that 5 minute headway. I don't know why they operate the way they do, but probably there is a very reasonable explanation.

:giggle: OMG have you met WMATA?!? :giggle:

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#5 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,303 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:29 PM

:giggle: OMG have you met WMATA?!? :giggle:
WMATA: We make NJ Transit look good!😄
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#6 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:27 AM

Is metro on fire today?

But seriously when a transit organization has a website and T shirts with that phrase. You have a problem.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users