New National Menu for Long Distance Trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor
I am not interested in receiving frivolous comments but instead real answers to my inquiry.

Recently, on another post someone said that the menu on the Empire Builder changed between their west bound trip and east bound trip two weeks later. Only change this person made was "no maple chicken sausage" on new menu.

My question is "is there a new National Menu" to replace the one that has been in place almost two years or maybe longer"? I will be traveling Southwest Chief and California Zephyr late October and hope there has been a change since I don't eat "mussles" or much seafood but I liked the grilled shrimp they had on the menu prior to this one.

Amtrak.com still has the old or current menu up so cannot tell from the website if a new menu is available.

The menus on the trains usually get updated a couple weeks before the site. This probably isn't what you're talking about, but the menus do show a "Indian Spiced Shrimp Biryani" for dinner, so if you want shrimp, you can have that at dinner. That said, it looks like this menu was updated September last year, which seems to be the standard time of year, so I would be incredibly surprised if they haven't changed it by the the time you travel.

I interpreted that poster’s experience to mean that they didn’t take on stock of that single item. I did not see this as a wholesale menu change.

I interpreted that poster’s experience to mean that they didn’t take on stock of that single item. I did not see this as a wholesale menu change.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Considering how frequently Amtrak seems to be seriously under stocking lately, that makes more sense than them specifically removing maple chicken sausage from the menu.

The menus on the trains usually get updated a couple weeks before the site. This probably isn't what you're talking about, but the menus do show a "Indian Spiced Shrimp Biryani" for dinner, so if you want shrimp, you can have that at dinner. That said, it looks like this menu was updated September last year, which seems to be the standard time of year, so I would be incredibly surprised if they haven't changed it by the the time you travel.
While in the past they use to update the National Menu annually, it was not changed last Fall 2017 so the menu with steak and a seafood crab type cake on the dinner menu, the lunch menu with mussels and breakfast menus with pancakes has been the National Menu almost two years. I am hoping this is the menu that has been updated and revised a little at least.

While in the past they use to update the National Menu annually, it was not changed last Fall 2017 so the menu with steak and a seafood crab type cake on the dinner menu, the lunch menu with mussels and breakfast menus with pancakes has been the National Menu almost two years. I am hoping this is the menu that has been updated and revised a little at least.
In January and February, they had the "Sweet Potato Gnocchi", which was fantastic, but it looks like that's gone since then, so they must have changed it at least a little since September last year. However, that seems to be the only change, so I would expect a full switch up soon.

In January and February, they had the "Sweet Potato Gnocchi", which was fantastic, but it looks like that's gone since then, so they must have changed it at least a little since September last year. However, that seems to be the only change, so I would expect a full switch up soon.
I rode the Capitol Limited, Zephyr, and Coast Starlight in January and the Empire Builder in June and the National Menu had not changed from 2017 and I was not offered "Sweet Potato Gnocchi" on any of the trains so that may have been special on you specific train and date of travel.

With the exception of the Lake Shore and Capitol, the national menu for LD trains hasn't changed since 2017. I have the feeling changes are coming by the next fiscal year.

Hardly 2 years old..the current menus posted are 11 months old (by the date on the menu) and still include Apple and Maple Chicken Sausage. I don't see "mussels" on the current menu but, there is Norwegian Salmon and a crab, shrimp and scallop cake on the menu. Based on the September 17 date on the menu, its about time for their annual change and probably something new for your October trip.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/California-Zephyr-Dining-Car-Menu-0917.pdf

Hardly 2 years old..the current menus posted are 11 months old (by the date on the menu) and still include Apple and Maple Chicken Sausage. I don't see "mussels" on the current menu but, there is Norwegian Salmon and a crab, shrimp and scallop cake on the menu. Based on the September 17 date on the menu, its about time for their annual change and probably something new for your October trip.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/California-Zephyr-Dining-Car-Menu-0917.pdf
That’s the menu but that doesn’t mean all the items will actually be available. For example on the Meteor last week, we were offered a dinner roll at breakfast in lieu of the croissants. They were out. Apparently another short stock item among others I have previously mentioned.

Usually the menus were updated twice per year (Fall,and Spring),the current menus posted are from the Fall 2017 change (the date 0917 appears on the menus), with the exception

of the Silver Meteor which was never updated.

With reports coming in from actual riders it appears these menus are stallion use, with a good amount of short stocking, non-stocking, and substitutions.

Ken

I rode the Capitol Limited, Zephyr, and Coast Starlight in January and the Empire Builder in June and the National Menu had not changed from 2017 and I was not offered "Sweet Potato Gnocchi" on any of the trains so that may have been special on you specific train and date of travel.
This was on the Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, and Silver Meteor.

Mussels are right there, under Lunch.

They are there on the menu but my recent experience is that they are not being stocked.

They are there on the menu but my recent experience is that they are not being stocked.
Right, but he said "I don't see "mussels" on the current menu", and they are there.

My wife and I are tomorrow riding the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles up the coast to Washington, so I will be very interested in picking up any rumors from the Amtrak crew about the future of the menu and meal service in the diner in general. If Amtrak goes with box meals, I will try it, but it will likely be a killer regarding lengthy train travel. My wife must be gluten free and the box meal selections described on Amtrak Unlimited seem terribly unhealthy, with tons of wheat, carbs, sodium, and sugar.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are tomorrow riding the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles up the coast to Washington, so I will be very interested in picking up any rumors from the Amtrak crew about the future of the menu and meal service in the diner in general. If Amtrak goes with box meals, I will try it, but it will likely be a killer regarding lengthy train travel. My wife must be gluten free and the box meal selections described on Amtrak Unlimited seem terribly unhealthy, with tons of wheat, carbs, sodium, and sugar.
I imagine the Coast Starlight will be one of the last trains to lose dining service. It's a flagship route that gets some of the best equipment, and had the PPC up until February this year. If they say that they're expecting a switch to cold meals on the CS, that will be a very very bad sign.

I started this topic regarding the full NATIONAL MENU on the full service trains. There are other topic regarding the contemporary dining on the Lake Shore Limited and the Capitol Limited so I appreciate everyone limiting this topic to the full service National Menu. At this time there is no plans or intention to remove dining cars or dining car crew from the two day long distance trains. While the Coast Starlight is a one night ride, it takes two full day to complete it's trip and serves five meals northbound and five meals southbound so there is no plans to remove the dining car from the Coast Starlight. The Parlor Car was removed since there were only 4 or 5 of these 50+ year old cars and maintenance was becoming very expensive and finding some obsolete parts for repairs was becoming most difficult. For those that complain about losing the dining part of that car, it should be noted that all the food in the Parlor Car actually came from the full service dining car.

Thanks. I was concentrating too much on dinner items!

I am on the Silver Meteor right now. Although mussels are on the printed lunch menu, they were not available. However, crab cakes were available instead. The dessert options were different also. There were 2 kinds of cheese cake, a caramel parfait (I think) and flourless chocolate cake. I had the chocolate cake and it was very good, even though very rich.

I am on the Silver Meteor right now. Although mussels are on the printed lunch menu, they were not available. However, crab cakes were available instead. The dessert options were different also. There were 2 kinds of cheese cake, a caramel parfait (I think) and flourless chocolate cake. I had the chocolate cake and it was very good, even though very rich.
That’s the same thing we experienced. I went with the chocolate with hot tea to help with the richness and heaviness. My wife liked the vanilla caramel thing.

I think the mussels are a thing of the past since they don’t seem to stock them anymore.

Mussels were available for lunch on the southbound Silver Meteor today. My tablemate photographed his lunch. Maybe he will post.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back