Reno to Washington, DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gregory

Train Attendant
Hi All,

It's been 10 years since I attempted to travel by train. Back on 2008 neither of my trips worked out very well. My wife has no interest in rail travel but I find myself with some days off while she has to work.

My plan is to travel from Reno, NV to Washington, DC on Monday 9/3 and fly back to Reno on Friday. It looks like a Roomette is well above what I would consider spending so I'll travel in coach. I guess it's California Zephyr followed by Capitol Limited.

Do I need to worry about making the connection in Chicago?

I'll be flying out of BWI on Friday evening but would like to do some sightseeing between my arrival and departure. Any thoughts on the best location for a hotel?

I've read a bunch of topics here as well as several articles. Hopefully, I have an idea what to expect but any general tips for this trip would be appreciated.

Do the trains have public showers?

Thanks,

Mark

Do I need to worry about making the connection in Chicago?
Nope! It's a guaranteed connection, so if you miss it, Amtrak has to take good care of you. If it looks like you're going to miss your connection, I recommend you call Amtrak as soon as possible to be rebooked on the next train.

Do the trains have public showers?
Not for coach passengers. Only sleeper passengers get to shower onboard. If you really need a shower after you're leg on the CZ, I would recommend you find a gym or rec center in Chicago to freshen up.

Other basic info and tips:

• I recommend bringing earplugs to help with "ambient noise" from the ride and your fellow passengers.
  • Download/bring movies, books, or games so that you won't be bored
  • Since coach passengers have to pay for their meals, and the dining car is pretty expensive, you should probably bring plenty of food and snacks with you. It might also make sense to bring a small cooler.
  • I would also recommend that you head to the Sightseer Lounge as soon as possible in the morning, since that can fill up quick on the CZ. People are not allowed to "reserve" seats in the SSL, so if you see anyone using up more seats than people, or are telling you that you can't sit in an open seat, let an employee know.
  • Prepare for delays. It's highly likely that your train will be late, so don't book anything non-refundable that you'll have to go to right after arrival. If the train is incredibly late or you have some other issue, call Customer Relations afterwards and ask for compensation.
So those are my main tips. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the answer to all 3 questions were either No or I do not know, why even post?

To answer the first question, while it is a guaranteed connection and Amtrak will take care of you, it may be

1) putting you on the Lake Shore Limited to New York City with a connecting train to Washington that arrives around midnight instead of in the afternoon,

2) putting you on a connecting bus to catch up to the Capitol Limited, or

3) providing an overnight stay in Chicago and sending you on the next days train.

The only worry about the Chicago connection would be whether you'd make your plane Friday evening. Amtrak's solution for the connection may be to have you stay overnight in Chicago and then catch the next day's train. That train may have too tight of a connection to make it on BWI in time for your flight. If possible, I'd suggest flying out on Saturday from BWI just in case. (That'd also give you the choice on whether to have an extra day in DC if all goes well or build in your own layover at Chicago for a day.)

As for hotel availability, a hotel near Union Station would be ideally located. The MARC Penn Line can take you to BWI the next day, and the tickets are unreserved (so you don't have to know the time in advance.) If you're looking for cheaper hotels, I'd do a BWI hotel; it takes a bit of time to get to Washington, DC from BWI but since your flight is out of there you may be able to store your bags at the hotel after check-out.

Showers are available for sleeper car passengers. No such facilities are available for coach passengers.

For, I think, $50 you can get a day pass to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago (it's free for sleepers) and use the showers there.

For, I think, $50 you can get a day pass to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago (it's free for sleepers) and use the showers there.
Yup. From this page:

Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

We've more than doubled the space of this now two-floor lounge and added many new amenities for customers who travel to and from Chicago Union Station. Amtrak customer service representatives will check your baggage and later pre-board you from the lounge to your Amtrak train. After stowing your carry-on bags, relax, enjoy complimentary snacks and beverages, or even take a shower. There's a space for kids, WiFi and power for your device or tables and work stations if you want to stay productive. If you'd like to use the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge and you don't already have it included with your reservation, you can buy a day pass to get full access to all the lounge amenities for $50. Just see a station agent at Chicago Union Station to buy one.

Thanks for all the great info.

It's safe to say I'll be spending $50 in Chicago.

I'm on Southwest so I can change my flight by just paying the fare difference. I guess if I were to be delayed by a day in Chicago I could just fly home from there.

Here's a silly question. If I've got a window seat and need to get up in the night will it disturb my potential seatmate or is there room to get around them?

Mark

Since you are simply riding the train and one day will not let you do much Washington sightseeing, I suggest considering simply staying overnight in Chicago and then taking the California Zephyr back to Reno the next day. You would arrive back home on Saturday. You would not miss much since the Capitol Limited is basically an overnight train. In fact, it you are just riding the train for the fun of it, I would consider riding Reno to Denver and then stay overnight and return to Reno on the morning California Zephyr. Denver to Chicago is again basically overnight and the next morning traveling basically flat terrain through Iowa and Illinois to Chicago. I recommend this especially if you are traveling coach. The highlight of the trip will be Salt Lake City to Denver scenic wise. That way you would arrive Denver late on the second day, spend the night in Denver and then travel third and fourth day back to Reno getting back to Reno on Thursday 9/6. Maybe for another time ride the Zephyr Reno to Sacramento or Emeryville to go over the Sierra Nevadas. There is no overnight travel if you do that.

If you're row is in the front, your seat mate has the seat upright, etc, you could probably get around without disturbing them. If they're stretched out as was said, it will be pretty difficult to avoid disturbing them. But remember that Amtrak offers WAY more legroom than the airlines, so it will be a lot easier than when you're flying.

For reference, here's the history of the California Zephyr - Capitol Limited connection for the past year. It has missed that connection 10% of the time this year, but three of those times were in the past week.

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/connections.php?a_train_num=6&c_train_num=30&station=CHI&date_start=01%2F01%2F2018&date_end=08%2F07%2F2018&df1=1&df2=1&df3=1&df4=1&df5=1&df6=1&df7=1&buffer_mins=5&sort_dir=DESC&dfon=1

Depending on what you want to visit I think Dupont Circle is a good area to stay in, it is a safe area, there is a lot within walking distance and it is a short Metro ride from Union Station. Foggy Bottom is fine too. There should be good hotel deals at the time of year you're traveling.

If you haven't booked the trip already, consider doing it in the reverse if you are concerned about the connection in Chicago. Fly to DC, and take the Capitol Limited or Cardinal to Chicago and connect to the California Zephyr. There's MUCH more connection time westbound than eastbound, and the eastbound trains from the west have several days of travel to get delayed. Sadly, this is usually my MO because of the horrendous timekeeping of Amtrak - fly east, train west.

I did think about going to Denver and back and also going as far as Chicago. Since I'm not sure when I'll get to do it again it sounded fun to go all the way to DC. I looked at doing it in reverse but the airfare out of Reno was 2 1/2 times the price out of BWI.

I'm probably going to book a roomette on the Reno-Chicago leg and then coach from Chicago-Union Station. I'm a bit nervous about committing to all three nights in coach but can probably do the one.

Thanks for all the info and advice.

Mark

I think that option is a good plan. Having a sleeper accommodation on the longer portion gives you access to a shower for most of the trip, and you'll still get complimentary access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago (though you might have to push for it if the Chicago agents question it - it is included if you're arriving in a sleeper accommodation, even if you're transferring to coach seating.) I'd watch the pricing for the Chicago - DC portion as well; sometimes the ticket price for a roomette can drop pretty low, making the differential only $150ish. If you can float that, it's worth paying for that upgrade since it's overnight as well.

I'd suggest bringing your own cooler. When you're in a sleeper, you can bring your own alcoholic beverages to consume in your room. Your sleeper car attendant should be able to provide ice for you as well. For me, there's not much better in life than sipping on a beer (especially a craft one from home that I know I'll really enjoy) while watching the world go by. If you take coach on the final leg, you can also fill it up with sandwiches, salads, and other food to eat on the way home from one of the nearby stores. Note that you cannot drink your own alcoholic beverages in coach; if you have any left over or buy some at a store along the way, they can be brought on board in coach but not consumed.

Since you are simply riding the train and one day will not let you do much Washington sightseeing, I suggest considering simply staying overnight in Chicago and then taking the California Zephyr back to Reno the next day. You would arrive back home on Saturday. You would not miss much since the Capitol Limited is basically an overnight train. In fact, it you are just riding the train for the fun of it, I would consider riding Reno to Denver and then stay overnight and return to Reno on the morning California Zephyr. Denver to Chicago is again basically overnight and the next morning traveling basically flat terrain through Iowa and Illinois to Chicago. I recommend this especially if you are traveling coach. The highlight of the trip will be Salt Lake City to Denver scenic wise. That way you would arrive Denver late on the second day, spend the night in Denver and then travel third and fourth day back to Reno getting back to Reno on Thursday 9/6. Maybe for another time ride the Zephyr Reno to Sacramento or Emeryville to go over the Sierra Nevadas. There is no overnight travel if you do that.

I agree. and I say use the extra time to take the train (or drive) west to Sacramento. Visit the the train museum. The ride though the Sierras are well worth the extra trip.

Okay, I'm booked!

I was not offered a choice of roomettes so I take it they are assigned. My ticket say Car 0632 - Room 012. From my research it looks like I'm on the lower level in the last car. Is there a reason I might prefer one level rather than the other? Can I ask to be change if I want?

Side note: There is a guy selling Amtrak Vouchers on ebay at deep discounts. He claims he can set up a private auction for any amount. I have a hard time thinking it's legitimate. His vouchers are only good for 30 days and travel must be completed by the 30th day. My best guess is they are purchased with stolen credit cards and 30 days is within the window before they are likely to show up on someone's statement and be reported. I asked if there was anything illegal about them and the seller never answered. As much as I love a good deal I don't want to be denied boarding so I passed.

Mark

Yep, its on the Lower Level. Some folks prefer the Lower Level #11-#14( no Stairs to board,detrain/close to the Shower,Luggage rack,Bathrooms,etc) Most of us like it Upstairs#2-#10(better Sight Lines, Cafe and Diner/Pass thru Car to Car are on that level,SCA is in Room #1 etc.)

Just call to see if an Upstairs Room is available, and Modify your Rez( not all Agents know how to do this/Ask for a Supervisor or Call back if you get an agent that can't/won't do this without a Price increase.)

And while it's against Amtrak Policy to Sell Vouchers and Coupons,it's not illegal.The 30 Day limit might be cause they're expiring, but you were smart to pass on this offer, you could be right about a racket!

You can call in and switch roomettes if you'd like. I'm personally moving into the lower level roomette camp (it's quite a bit quieter, luggage and shower are right there, and it's easy on/off during fresh air breaks.) That said, the upper level does have better views, and moving between cars is at that level.

That said, any roomette on a train is better than not being on a train.
default_smile.png

Okay, I'm booked!

I was not offered a choice of roomettes so I take it they are assigned. My ticket say Car 0632 - Room 012. From my research it looks like I'm on the lower level in the last car. Is there a reason I might prefer one level rather than the other? Can I ask to be change if I want?

Side note: There is a guy selling Amtrak Vouchers on ebay at deep discounts. He claims he can set up a private auction for any amount. I have a hard time thinking it's legitimate. His vouchers are only good for 30 days and travel must be completed by the 30th day. My best guess is they are purchased with stolen credit cards and 30 days is within the window before they are likely to show up on someone's statement and be reported. I asked if there was anything illegal about them and the seller never answered. As much as I love a good deal I don't want to be denied boarding so I passed.

Mark
There are two camps on what is better. With the upper level, once you're up there, you basically won't have to go up or down the stairs at all during the rest of the trip, since you have to go between cars on the upper-level. It's also usually a somewhat quieter ride and views are a fair bit better. However, on the lower level you'll only be a few feet from the vestibule, shower, bathrooms, and luggage area, which is really convenient. And I sort of like how it feels to sleep only a couple feet off the tracks. And as was said, you're right there when you want to get off at a fresh air stop. Overall, I would say that the upper level is a bit better, because of the views and the convenience of going between cars on that level, so I would call to find out if there are any roomettes left upstairs. If they can't do that, though, you'll be 100% fine.

I would avoid paying $50 just for this. You can signup for the Amtrak credit card and get a free lounge pass. They also have a pretty good signup offer right now of 30k points.
I thought that the whole $30K thing is if you spend like $1000 or something within 90 days of signup.

If you made your reservation on line, you are arbitrarily assigned a roomette number. Always call and request your roomette(roomettes 01-10 are upstairs 11-14 are downstairs) number. I never make my reservations on line and I always call the Amtrak Guest Rewards number instead of the normal Amtrak number.

So Mark, you booked a reservation, good for you!

After numerous suggestions about where to go and which way to travel, curious what itinerary you finally decided to take!

Since my wife will probably never go one a train trip with me I figured I'd go as far as I could. I'm not sure when I'll get to do it again so I wanted the whole experience. I booked a roomette from Reno-Chicago and then coach from Chicago-Washington, DC. Supposed to arrive Thursday and I'll fly out Friday night.

I'm pretty excited for the trip. I figure if it goes sideways because of late trains I'll just go with the flow and see what happens. I did buy the $17 insurance but didn't get a great feel for what it covers. I got bored with all the pages you have to click through to get to the actual policy and it was only 17 bucks.

Mark

Back