Question re Amtrak platform closure at San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rspenmoll

Train Attendant
So right now, the Southwest Chief is not stopping at San Bernardino because the elevator to the Amtrak platform is out of service. What i'm wondering is, what is the reason that the Chief can't just use the Metrolink platforms?

Metrolink uses stub ended platforms
In that case, then how do the Metrolink trains continue to their terminus at the San Bernardino Transit Center in Downtown San Bernardino?
I think there may be some miscommunication here. Amtrak uses the old Santa Fe depot that is part of the railyard immediately to the west of Interstate 215, and this is the station shown in the screen capture below:

San Bernidino station.PNG

Is this the station you were thinking of near downtown?

EDIT: Looks like there is a connector track that goes on the north side of the station that allows for travel to the downtown station.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is not stopping at San Bernardino, what happens to those getting off or boarding there?
default_huh.png
And how about those people waiting to pick up or dropping off those people?
default_huh.png

Metrolink uses stub ended platforms
In that case, then how do the Metrolink trains continue to their terminus at the San Bernardino Transit Center in Downtown San Bernardino?
I think there may be some miscommunication here. Amtrak uses the old Santa Fe depot that is part of the railyard immediately to the west of Interstate 215, and this is the station shown in the screen capture below:

attachicon.gif
San Bernidino station.PNG

Is this the station you were thinking of near downtown?

EDIT: Looks like there is a connector track that goes on the north side of the station that allows for travel to the downtown station.
The source of my confusion was that I didn't realize that the Downtown Transit Center is on the former Redlands Loop. I had assumed it was on the Southern Transcon main line.

Back