Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

NJ Transit to suspend entire Atlantic City Line for months

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:52 AM

Thirdrail7,

Thanks again. Your example of how the trains turn (or right now just can't be push-pull like they used to) explains a lot and clears up a lot of the confusion of why there are so many delays.

As for staffing, it sounds like you are essentially saying that the other commuter railroads and Amtrak have passed NJT by, offering better packages and of course a contract? Also, if they are forced to live in NJ, a lot of people would say no to any job right there--much better if you could live across the river in (much cheaper) PA and still work for NJT.

Although I follow trains a bit, I still needed to have all this explained to me. The sad thing is that the typical NJ commuter just wants to get to work and back, does not follow how trains work like we do here on AU, and probably does not realize that there are legitimate reasons for the mess. Therefore, they are, understandably, really upset with NJT right now. I like your point about making more trains from PJC locals with more stops. Because I only travel between Trenton and Princeton Junction, I can get any train, just as someone going to/from Hamilton can. But someone going farther north is limited in train choice if they need to take a local instead of an express. Not sure how the commuters would react to that, though--the ones who must wait for a local now would be happy, but those who take the express now and would get into New York 20 minutes later would be furious.

You are also exactly right about some wanting Atlantic City to fail (North/South again).

By the way, there is an article today in the Trenton Times asking "Is Steve Sweeney the most powerful person in New Jersey?" Unfortunately, I'm not sure how he feels about NJT.

Jim,

You are absolutely right about Florida. That sounds perfect, but perhaps in January or February. Right now, it would be like jumping from one frying pan into another, and, as you might have gathered from my rant about NJT on Friday, I get slightly irritable in hot weather :P. (If there were cancellations on a nice balmy 45 degree day, I would just say "Whatever--something will be along sometime" and be much more philosophical about it!) :)

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 13 August 2018 - 09:11 AM.

#22 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:47 PM

I'll help Transit out. Me and some friends just applied for engine service. Five men from the steam side. Besides it pays 76k after training a year. Not a bad gig.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#23 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,599 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:49 PM

I'll help Transit out. Me and some friends just applied for engine service. Five men from the steam side. Besides it pays 76k after training a year. Not a bad gig.

The Bad News is you have to live in Expensive,Tax Crazy Jersey!😣

But Good Luck with the Gig!😉
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#24 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:50 PM

The Bad News is you have to live in Expensive,Tax Crazy Jersey!

But Good Luck with the Gig!

I need something to do
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#25 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:01 PM

I need something to do

Are you serious it pays that well! That's better than professional salaries in Chicago - how much does it increase over a hypothetical career and what benny's, like pension, health care, etc?

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#26 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:03 PM

I need something to do

Are you serious it pays that well! That's better than professional salaries in Chicago - how much does it increase over a hypothetical career and what benny's, like pension, health care, etc?

That's what their website claims. Now how true it is I can't tell you. It qualifies for Railroad Retirement (which is what I really want), and they claim a good benefits package.

#27 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:34 AM

Wow! Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes! :)

#28 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:59 PM

https://www.njtransi...ageAction=JK7To

They also get sick time.

✔ Starting salary of $76,000 (post training) with opportunities for overtime
    ✔ Railroad retirement, an Employer Contribution 401a Plan plus 457 tax-deferred benefit pension plan
    ✔ Exceptional medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage
    ✔ Paid time off
    ✔ Life insurance
    ✔ Paid training

Edited by Thirdrail7, 16 August 2018 - 08:00 PM.

• cpotisch likes this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#29 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:16 AM

Local newspaper today reported that Gov. Murphy wants the legislature to fast-track a bill to waive the residency requirement for engineers. State Senate president Sweeney agrees with the idea, but says that the legislature already has such a bill in the works.

So they are essentially arguing over who came up with the same idea first. Good grief. :huh:

However, it does look like a start, even if it's just for the engineers and not everyone else.

#30 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,599 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:27 PM

Typical Politicial BS Patty!

As the Late,Great Harry Truman ( a Real Man of the People!)once said:
" A lot can be accomplished when it doesn't matter who gets the Credit!"
  • Mystic River Dragon likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#31 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:17 PM

Typical Politicial BS Patty!

As the Late,Great Harry Truman ( a Real Man of the People!)once said:
" A lot can be accomplished when it doesn't matter who gets the Credit!"

I'll bet he wanted credit for saying that. :giggle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic