Guest rewards ticket insurance option chosen, but not billed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akbrian

Train Attendant
I redeemed points for a Coast Starlight trip for my Mother a few weeks ago. I chose the $9 travel insurance option during the E-ticket purchase. The $9 option show on my reservation confirmation email. As I discussed in another thread, the train was turned mid trip due to the "Carr" forest fire near Redding.

The problem is that Allianz never billed my credit card for the trip. The language on my reservation email, which I cut and pasted below is;

Amtrak will only charge your credit card the amount for rail fare, accommodations and ticket delivery. Your other travel options will be charged by our travel partner(s), and you will receive separate confirmation emails detailing those charges. Travel Insurance Your travel insurance request has been forwarded to our partner Allianz Global Assistance. You will receive an email from them confirming the details of your insurance purchase. If you have questions about this portion of your reservation, call 1-800-390-3915. Not Charged by Amtrak $9.00
Amtrak has refunded me the points. However there were trip interruption expenses which might be reimbursable by Alliance related to getting her back home on a Greyhound from Sacramento. Alliance says there was no billing, so no policy. What a mess. Any suggestions?

Amtrak will only charge your credit card the amount for rail fare, accommodations and ticket delivery. Your other travel options will be charged by our travel partner(s), and you will receive separate confirmation emails detailing those charges. Travel Insurance Your travel insurance request has been forwarded to our partner Allianz Global Assistance. You will receive an email from them confirming the details of your insurance purchase. If you have questions about this portion of your reservation, call 1-800-390-3915. Not Charged by Amtrak $9.00
Did you ever get the email from Allianz confirming your insurance purchase? I realize hindsight is 20/20, but I would have contacted them prior to my trip if I hadn't received the confirmation yet.

If you did receive a confirmation, then I would reference that in your phone call.

Edited to add: If that doesn't go anywhere, contact your credit card issuer. You may have Travel Insurance protection under your credit card agreement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, at the time I just checked the box, followed the prompts and didn't think any more about it. But no, I never received a follow up email. Unfortunately, because it was a points trip, and my BofA Amtrak Guest Rewards was never actually billed, I don't see this qualifying credit card coverage. You usually have to charge the trip to the card for coverage.

I not going to lose sleep over this, but it is annoying.

Back