Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Next Gen TGV Duplex

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:41 PM

http://railcolornews...train-for-sncf/

Yes, its looks very similar to Acela 2s.

#2 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:09 PM

It is bilevel though, unlike the Acela 2s

#3 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:33 PM

Well it has the same name as the Acela 2, Avelia.

#4 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:25 PM

Same power cars. Amtrak is getting a legit TGV clone.

#5 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:19 AM

Yes. There was never a doubt that Avelia Liberty is a TGV clone, and the real evidence is the use of articulating Jacobs bogies (trucks)

#6 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

Yes. There was never a doubt that Avelia Liberty is a TGV clone, and the real evidence is the use of articulating Jacobs bogies (trucks)

Any idea why this was not done for the original Acela.

#7 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:26 AM

The RFP for that apparently specified 85' cars I think. That eliminated any wiggle room for the bidders to specify more appropriate technology/train architecture, and certainly eliminated anything like the TGV. It also did not require that anything that has ever worked anywhere be the basis for the response. So it became an exercise in the creation of a random collection of backward looking innovations slapped together, with constant modification requests from Amtrak. The result was almost predictable. Fortunately at least they did not revert back to gunslit windows, which by then had become contrary to fire regulations too I think. :D

In contrast, this time the RFP contained a set of performance requirements and asked the vendors to propose something to meet those requirements. Vendor proposals were then accepted with minimal change requests at least upto that point. I don;t know if things have gotten messed up since then.

• cirdan and Ziv like this

#8 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:29 PM

Because the Acela Is were made by Bombardier, and all the TGVs are made by Alstom. The Acela Is are an evolution of the Bombardier LRCs.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#9 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

Because the Acela Is were made by Bombardier, and all the TGVs are made by Alstom. The Acela Is are an evolution of the Bombardier LRCs.

peter

The power heads for Acela are essentially an Alstom product though.

BTW, another new gen TGV derivative:

https://www.railwayg...-trainsets.html

Edited by jis, 31 July 2018 - 05:43 PM.

#10 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:41 PM

peter

The power heads for Acela are essentially an Alstom product though.

BTW, another new gen TGV derivative:

https://www.railwayg...-trainsets.html

But will they run on time?

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#11 Andrew

Andrew

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:25 PM

Same power cars. Amtrak is getting a legit TGV clone.

What are the transit specifications (locomotive and passenger car length and height) of the new Amtrak Acela 2 Train-sets? 

#12 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:31 AM

Interestingly, Japan's Tokaido Shinkansen line ran with 2 of it's 16 cars with double deckers for a while. Then, on the Joetsu, they were running "Max" - a full length duplex unit. But I think all are gone now. Sometimes these trains get REALLY crowded. Wonder why they don't have a modern duplex solution.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#13 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:38 AM

When the Tokaido Shinkansen had double deckers, weren't those the Green Cars?

#14 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

With Japan's ingenuity, I'm actually surprised they haven't introduced a full two-level Shinkansen with two-level platforms negating the need for a lot of internal stairways (would still have to exist, just not as many).

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#15 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:04 PM

With Japan's ingenuity, I'm actually surprised they haven't introduced a full two-level Shinkansen with two-level platforms negating the need for a lot of internal stairways (would still have to exist, just not as many).

How would they do two level platforms?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#16 slasher-fun

slasher-fun

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 03:44 AM

More doors = less seats.

#17 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

When the Tokaido Shinkansen had double deckers, weren't those the Green Cars?

I think that's how I remember it. I rode in a green car on the 100 series (the only variant on the Tokaido). There were only 2 double deckers out of 16 cars, and I was on the upper of one. I don't recall the configuration of the other three levels. The downstairs may have had Green compartments. Wow. It's been 30 years since I did that.

I thought I remembered a restaurant car, but thought by the late 80s they were all gone. Wiki has pictures of them, though. They had panoramic windows similar to Superliner lounges. Don't remember those.

Edited by VentureForth, 26 August 2018 - 09:18 PM.

• jis likes this

Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#18 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:46 AM

Like I mentioned, they seem to be shying away from duplex units. Almost all double deck Shinkansen are gone. I'm gonna check the MAX, but I think it's days are numbered if not already extinct.

After looking into it, there are two services out of Tokyo that use all-duplex trainsets. One is 12 cars and the other is 10 cars. Both have a max speed of 240 kph, which is really slow compared to other Shinkansen lines.

Edited by VentureForth, 27 August 2018 - 10:55 AM.

#19 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:18 AM

There were only 2 double deckers out of 16 cars, and I was on the upper of one. I don't recall the configuration of the other three levels. The downstairs may have had Green compartments. Wow. It's been 30 years since I did that.

How did those two double deckers not result in an incredible amount of drag? They're taller than the single levels, right?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#20 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:11 PM

Same reason that an Airbus 380 does not have an incredible amount of drag :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users