Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Alan Burden Memorial Service

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:18 PM

Thanks to all the AU friends that could make it. I wish I could have been there.

Rest in peace Alan.
  • Everydaymatters, AmtrakBlue, RSG and 1 other like this

#22 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:33 PM

On a lighter note regarding the service. Ryan and I sat next to each other as you see. Jishnu walked to his seat and looked at us and said from behind we looked like two big clouds. We both got a good chuckle out of it. I will say though it was nice to see a few friends again. Even though the circumstances were not ideal. But Alan made a huge impact on many of us.

I’ll share a quick story that Alan’s brother in law shared. I think the many people that attended laughed at it quite hard.

We all knew Alan as a jokester. Hence the term “Alanism’s”. His brother in law got him back one time on a drive from Philadelphia back to his house in the Lehigh Valley. He said that he (his brother in law) was having a few adult beverages and Alan was a designated driver. Alan was merging onto a highway when his brother in law decided to use his Bluetooth by playing two gunshots and sirens. His brother in law said Alan was almost furious and it was the only time he saw him in such a state.

I think we all found it hilarious that the jokester got his for once.
  • jis, the_traveler, Ryan and 1 other like this
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#23 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:19 PM

Still trying to gather my thoughts on this one...

Something that occurred to me as I was sitting there in the sanctuary was how difficult it was wrapping ones head around the loss of someone that you only see in person on an infrequent basis. The pain and the immediate sense of loss on the part of his family was evident, and very different from the more hypothetical sense of loss that I felt.

Sitting there looking at Alan's picture on the table next to the box containing his ashes, it finally started to break through to me that when we all Gather next month, he won't be there to join us. That hurts.

But despite that, it was an amazing experience to learn more about Alan the brother and uncle, rounding out our picture of Alan the fellow train enthusiast. It's a shame that it takes something like this to learn "the rest of the story" about our fellow forum members. His family is a wonderful group of people that very graciously welcomed us in. Having heard so much about us, they were as eager to hear about our recollections of Alan and learn more about this side of Alan's life. They are also amazingly talented, the same brother in law that related the story above is a heck of a singer in the church's praise band, and his niece played and amazing piece on the marimba.

All said, I can't think of a better way to have spent a day. It was an honor to be able to do so, and a pleasure to see some friendly faces a little bit sooner than I had planned.

I'll leave you with a video of the last song at the service. The church band (all of whom were amazing) prepared this for tomorrow's service, and at the last minute realized that the train theme made it perfect for his service and included it.

• Trogdor, Everydaymatters, Railroad Bill and 3 others like this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#24 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,596 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:46 PM

Thanks Ryan! Wonderful words and Music in honor of our Friend!😊
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#25 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:09 AM

Ryan, thank you. I'm not holding back any more. The tears for my friend, the depth of my feeling for losing my friend are out now.

Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf, Ethan Allen Express 76,745 Amtrak miles.    Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

#26 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,571 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:23 AM

Ryan, thank you. I'm not holding back any more. The tears for my friend, the depth of my feeling for losing my friend are out now.

((HUGS))

• Everydaymatters likes this

#27 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Ryan for the post and the song. What an appropriate way to end the service. I only knew Alan from the Gatherings and our conversations on our trips to NY a few times. It is nice to know about his family life and his other pursuits outside of railroading.

Sometimes its difficult to find the right words to say, but I always appreciated those who just say:         "He Was A Nice Guy!.  

Happy Journeys AlanB 

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    86,889 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#28 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

It’s been 24 hours now. And today it’s been 1 month since such a great friend took his last ride.

I have to echo Ryan’s comments about Alan’s niece and Brother in Law. His niece has an amazing talent. And his Brother in Law has an absolutely amazing voice. His Brother in Law commented that the song played in the video was being performed at the church’s weekly service. And once he listened to it that they decided to add it to the service. He said it was almost like Alan and the Lord got together and Alan said have them play that song. The last words of my memories of Alan were simple. You have Clear Signals and switches are lined and locked normal for your movement.

Alan my friend I know that someday I’ll see you again. And that day we’ll have the beat seats in the house trackside.
  • cpotisch likes this
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users