Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Alan Burden Memorial Service

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:48 PM

A memorial service will be held for Alan at Quakertown United Methodist Church, 1875 Freier Road, Quakertown, PA 18951 on Saturday August 11th at noon.  According to the family, the easiest way to get to Quakertown (partially) by train is to take Amtrak to Philadelphia then SEPTA to Lansdale.  From Lansdale to Quakertown, one can take an Uber for the 15-20 mile trip.

• jis, Railroad Bill, the_traveler and 2 others like this

Amtrak miles: 244,301; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,203 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

Thanks Penny for letting us know.

Perhaps if anyone (many AUers :huh: ) are going, possibly share an Uber from Lansdale?:huh:

Edited by the_traveler, 28 July 2018 - 06:16 PM.

• TJGagliardo and cpotisch like this
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:57 PM

If anyone is interested I can shuttle people to Quakertown. I will be going. Contact me via PM if anyone is interested. I can handle 3 people in my car. 

I'm 15 minutes from PHL.

Edited by Acela150, 28 July 2018 - 06:59 PM.

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#4 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:51 PM

Below and attached is Alan's obituary

Alan Henry Burden, 57, of Woodside, Queens, NY passed away suddenly on Thursday, July 12, 2018 in Alabama while on a train headed for New Orleans. Born in Belleville, NJ on December 22, 1960, he was the oldest son of Henry L Burden and Grace M. Burden (Muench). He graduated from Belleville High School and worked as a computer accounting consultant for various companies. Alan shared his passion and knowledge of trains as a moderator for the Amtrak Unlimited Forum and other online train forums. His tagline for years has been “Take care and take trains”. Alan enjoyed volunteering for work weekends at Camp Eagle Island, skiing, and going to Shania Twain concerts. He also enjoyed attending concerts and sporting events for his multiple nieces and nephews. Alan is preceded in death by his father, Henry L Burden; and a sister, Tara. He is survived by his mother Grace, of Saylorsburg, PA; sister Allison and her husband, Kenneth Ghorm; brother Craig and his wife Susan; his step-mother, Maria of Orwigsburg, PA; brother, Darrin and brother Darryl; sisters Christa, Carrie, and Crystal; and three nieces and three nephews. A Celebration of Life service will be held for Alan on August 11, 2018 at 12:00pm at Quakertown United Methodist Church in Quakertown, PA. Contributions can be made in his name to Friends of Eagle Island at eagleisland.org.

Attached File  Alan obituary.pdf   305.27KB   26 downloads
  • Railroad Bill, juanee and cpotisch like this

Amtrak miles: 244,301; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#5 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

Very nice write up. I wish I could go. I'm we can come up with something to do for him at the Gathering in September.

• TJGagliardo and cpotisch like this

Amtrak Miles: 209,015 (as of 7/23/18)

#6 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,303 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:15 PM

Very nice write up. I wish I could go. I'm we can come up with something to do for him at the Gathering in September.

Ditto! Thanks also to Penny!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#7 Dan O

Dan O

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:05 AM

Thanks. It's nice to learn a bit about the other things in Alan's life that he enjoyed doing other than trains. 

Amtrak miles 13487
Pre-Amtrak train miles 6678

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,385 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:27 AM

I am driving up from MD, and am happy to pick anyone needing a ride from Landsdale. Cheaper and more friendly then Uber. :D
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#9 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:33 AM

Very sadly, I committed to be at an All Aboard Washington meeting on Saturday long before this happened.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#10 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

Very sadly, I committed to be at an All Aboard Washington meeting on Saturday long before this happened.

Those of us on the west coast will be thinking of Alan. Please convey our thoughts to our friends attending.

• Ryan and pennyk like this
Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#11 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,239 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:14 AM

So far as we know, the following are attending:

Pennyk, jis, Shanghai, PRR60, Ryan, Acela150.

There may be others from the AU family that are going that we are not aware of.

• Ryan likes this

#12 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:24 AM

So far as we know, the following are attending:

Pennyk, jis, Shanghai, PRR60, Ryan, Acela150.

There may be others from the AU family that are going that we are not aware of.

I believe Amtrakblue will be attending as well as Steve4031 and Mike H

• jis and Ryan like this

#13 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:09 PM

Yes, I’m attending. Even hitching a ride with a fellow AUer. :)
  • jis and Ryan like this

#14 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,303 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

Those of us on the west coast will be thinking of Alan. Please convey our thoughts to our friends attending.
Ditto from Flyover Country!
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#15 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,385 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:01 PM

If anyone needs a pick up in Landsdale, shoot me a PM. I have a minivan with 4 empty seats, and will be passing through there at the right time to meet Train 512 at 11:20.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#16 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,303 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:58 PM

If anyone needs a pick up in Landsdale, shoot me a PM. I have a minivan with 4 empty seats, and will be passing through there at the right time to meet Train 512 at 11:20.

Friends helping Friends! Way to go Ryan and Steve!😎😊😊😊
  • Palmetto likes this

#17 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:00 PM

Today was the service for our amazing friend. About a dozen AU members attended. It was a very nice service to honor our friend. The family was and is extremely grateful for our messages on AU. One of his family members who delivered remarks even read words from AU user NorthShore. At one point the AU members were asked to stand and were recognized by Alan's family. Grace also spoke at the service delivering some remarks thanking us. PennyK and myself also gave some memories of our long time friend. 

In the link is a video tribute that was played at todays service. The video is about 10 minutes long. 

• Railroad Bill, Dan O, pennyk and 2 others like this
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#18 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:24 PM

Again, my deepest condolences to everyone who knew him. I'm glad to hear that the service properly honored Alan. Rest in Peace.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#19 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:54 PM

There were 11 of us at the service. Here is a photo I took of 10 of us.
Attached File  723C29C3-00DF-455E-9994-448131564732.jpeg   116.22KB   10 downloads
  • Railroad Bill and cpotisch like this

#20 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,303 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:19 PM

Thanks to all of our AU Friends, we were there in Spirit!RIP Alan!
  • Everydaymatters, Railroad Bill, JRR and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users