Coast Starlight Disrupted by Carr Fire in Redding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article215629270.html

11 turned at Klamath Falls, 14 at Sacramento. What will happen ongoing is not clear at present.
This fire is the real deal and Amtrak's decision to not run trains through the area is the correct choice. With I-5 being at times clogged with people fleeing the flames, running a bus substitute through the area would also have been a poor choice.

As of now, the fire appears to have stayed away from the tracks as well as central Redding (where the station is located), so presumably service can be quickly restored once the fire is under control. But as this is a rapidly evolving situation, it's hard to say what could happen next.

Official word from Amtrak

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/service-disrupted-between-sacramento-ca-and-klamath-falls-due-to-wildfire.html

Note that Amtrak has removed this document referenced above without leaving any forwarding information on the URL above, leaving it as a dangling reference to nothing. Poor URL management, but hey, it is Amtrak
default_tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article215629270.html

11 turned at Klamath Falls, 14 at Sacramento. What will happen ongoing is not clear at present.
This fire is the real deal and Amtrak's decision to not run trains through the area is the correct choice. With I-5 being at times clogged with people fleeing the flames, running a bus substitute through the area would also have been a poor choice.

As of now, the fire appears to have stayed away from the tracks as well as central Redding (where the station is located), so presumably service can be quickly restored once the fire is under control. But as this is a rapidly evolving situation, it's hard to say what could happen next.
My Mother who is in her 80's was on 14 yesterday in business class returning to Oregon after a Bay Area vacation. She is a novice train rider, I bought her ticket with some of my miles. She called me (in the middle of the night) once it looked like there were problems. I called Amtrak and the operator told me they going to bus bridge Sacramento to Klamath Falls, so I passed that information on to her. Then others in her train car called and were told there would be no buses and everyone was on there own. Yet, Interstate 5 (I5) is not, and has not, been closed. The rail line is much closer to the fire than I5 is. Greyhound has not had any California - Oregon I5 corridor service cancellations. I spent last night making lodging arrangements for my Mother, and then booking her on Greyhound out of Sacramento. The decision to cancel the train service through the Redding area was the correct one, in my opinion. But not doing a bus bridge was a mistake, also in my opinion. It left a lot of passengers, many who aren't train nuts like myself, with a very confused and upsetting situation and less likely to risk taking Amtrak in future.

Out of curiosity, can they not turn 14 at Chico and 11 at Dunsmuir in order to make a shorter bus bridge?

With Fairviews comments about I-5 being a key evacuation route, its probably a wise decision not to add unnecessary traffic to the corridor.

A colleague was on 14(26) and contacted me from SAC yesterday morning. He wound up getting a last-minute plane ticket to PDX, then taking a Cascades train to Vancouver (his final destination). That was probably cheaper than the sleeper fare he paid on 14 anyway. That probably wouldnt have been possible if they turned in Chico.

I agree about a bus bridge.

Even if I-5 is open, with thousands and thousands of evacuees and other emergency vehicles (like fire fighters using it), you don’t think a bus or busses will be in bumper-to-bumper traffic? And what happens to the bus bridge should I-5 be forced or be closed?
default_huh.png

I for one would rather be stuck in Sacramento then stuck on I-5 in a traffic jam!

The mass exodus was on State Route 299 west of Redding, a two lane east-west highway that threads through the fire area. Even if thousands were evacuating on I5, rather than going to the east side of Redding, that amount of traffic is not that significant on a multilane divided Interstate highway. I was following the Calfire and Caltrans sites most of that night in question. They were not reporting traffic problems on I5. Additionally, buses have flexibility that a train doesn't. If through traffic were to be detoured around an area, buses can do that. Obviously a train can't.

----

Caltrans traffic advisory for Northern California I5;

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi?roadnumber=5&submit=Search

Currently showing notes about nightly scheduled construction, and that's it.

----

Caltrans live traffic cameras for Redding;

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/cctv/shastaco.html

I5 cams currently showing light traffic

----

CalFire "Carr fire" incident maps;

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_maps?incident_id=2164

----

Greyhound Redding bus station departure status;

http://bustracker.greyhound.com/stops/893013/Redding_CA/departing

I think the decision to not have a bus bridge is a good one. As of right now, the mandatory evacuation area extends to I5 just north of Redding. This fire is very active and unpredictable. Its possible that the interstate could be shut down, and having a bus load of passenger stranded along the route would be awful.

Im going to try to attach a screenshot of the current fire line and evacuation area. The station is not in the affected area, but the tracks north and south of the station are.024245D3-AC1F-482C-AB01-E839B1EE07B4.png

I wonder if they'll be able to get the train running again before the scheduled August 1-5 UP construction schedule disruption. What a year for the Starlight.

In my opinion, the issue is applying railroad thinking (rigidly fixed route) to an interstate bus situation (some flexibility).

While we railfans debate what should have happened, the interstate bus company that Amtrak competes with on this route has provided reliable (if not particularly comfortable) uninterrupted service through the area 2 or 3 times a day each direction throughout the the Carr fire.

Making it the customer's problem to find a way home (with their checked luggage in tow) is the surest way to not have that customer in the future.

In my opinion, the issue is applying railroad thinking (rigidly fixed route) to an interstate bus situation (some flexibility).

While we railfans debate what should have happened, the interstate bus company that Amtrak competes with on this route has provided reliable (if not particularly comfortable) uninterrupted service through the area 2 or 3 times a day each direction throughout the the Carr fire.

Making it the customer's problem to find a way home (with their checked luggage in tow) is the surest way to not have that customer in the future.
Who's to say that were charter buses available for the passenger loads? And ones who were willing to run their buses and employees through a potential hazard zone?
As far as turning the train back at different stops, the Starlight is a massive (passenger) train, and to use your analogy of a bus, it can not simply be physically turned around anywhere. If there is a nearby wye or loop, fantastic! But are the crews qualified to run there? Is there servicing facilities to water the coaches, empty the toilets, most importantly fuel the engines?

There's generally a lot of things many people don't think about that have to line up in the background to make plans that seem good on paper actually work. It's not to say this was an ideal solution by any means, but there may be reasons beyond Amtrak's control that caused them to arrive at its decision. Contrary to popular belief, the company does want to get passengers to their destinations....

FYI, My Mom decided to spend a day recuperating in SAC, and caught Greyhound Saturday evening. She is reporting that they stayed on I5 through Redding. She reported smelling smoke, but not seeing fire. I'll note that Greyhound is running extra coaches under one schedule number, so perhaps some are bypassing some stops, the same way that Amtrak buses sometimes do when they replace trains. Her current comment via SMS, in her own words, is that the coach currently smells like baby poop. Yuk.

Who's to say that were charter buses available for the passenger loads? And ones who were willing to run their buses and employees through a potential hazard zone?
As far as turning the train back at different stops, the Starlight is a massive (passenger) train, and to use your analogy of a bus, it can not simply be physically turned around anywhere. If there is a nearby wye or loop, fantastic! But are the crews qualified to run there? Is there servicing facilities to water the coaches, empty the toilets, most importantly fuel the engines?

There's generally a lot of things many people don't think about that have to line up in the background to make plans that seem good on paper actually work. It's not to say this was an ideal solution by any means, but there may be reasons beyond Amtrak's control that caused them to arrive at its decision. Contrary to popular belief, the company does want to get passengers to their destinations....
Good points on the turn points at smaller stations. Also looking in Google Earth, I also see those stations would have difficulty staging the buses. That's why I posed it as a question, thanks for the response.

I still don't agree on the lack of a SAC-KFS bus bridge though. I've been on way too many planned train trips that turned into Amtrak bus trips in the past, including a long planned Donner Pass Zephyr trip that turned into a SAC to Reno bus trip because the Zephyr was very late westbound, so they turned it at Reno (instead of Emeryville). Also the Pacific Northwest Coast Starlight/Cascades bus bridges seemly happen all the time anymore. Amtrak knows how to put train passengers on buses. If you can't get enough buses, then you accommodate as many people as you can, and then make alternate arrangements for the remaining passengers.

Regarding the decision on the I5 corridor, that, in my opinion, is where you rely on the professionals in that area of expertise. In this case, that would be CalTrans and CalFire, neither of which issued any related I5 travel advisories.

The decision to evacuate an area, like many things, is based on many variables. It takes a long time to evacuate people. The small local roads that EMS/Fire needs for fire fighting support efforts are the same ones that people would evacuate on. The evacuee destination is in Redding, east of I5. Unlike Interstates, many of the local roads often have tree stands very close to the roadway edge. Most all property that abuts the I5 right-of-way doesn't have access to I5. Residents have to rely on local roads.

Regardless of all that, there are alternative SAC-KFS routes, in the highly unlikely event that there was an I5 closure. Amtrak not addressing the problem did not make the problem go away, it merely made it the customers problem to solve. The "can't do" attitude wasn't very impressive. Solutions customers have come up with, so far in this thread, have been to buy a full fare no-advance purchase plane ticket, great if you have the money and are going to a destination served by air service, or take a Greyhound bus. Those logistics can be difficult for a single traveler to arrange, particularly an elderly traveler with luggage. I'd hate to think about my elderly mother having to do that without my remote help (I'm in Alaska).

BTW, the alternate SAC-KFS road routes only take about 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer.

I took a look today, and I'm seeing Amtrak is showing the Coast Starlight is running through Redding again.

Back