Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Comparison of Vancouver-Toronto Running Times via CN 1961-2018

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:47 PM

Wait, how did the "Continental Limited" get from Toronto to Montreal in about four hours? Doesn't the Ocean take about a day to do a similar trip?

I don't know about the first one probably faster running. But the second one the Ocean terminates in Montreal and doesn't go any further.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#22 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

Wait, how did the "Continental Limited" get from Toronto to Montreal in about four hours?

Are you looking at the boldface running times on the second page? Look at the actual schedule instead (and the map at the top) -- there were separate Montreal and Toronto sections that combined at Capreol, Ontario.
  • cpotisch likes this

#23 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:26 PM

Wait, how did the "Continental Limited" get from Toronto to Montreal in about four hours?

Are you looking at the boldface running times on the second page? Look at the actual schedule instead (and the map at the top) -- there were separate Montreal and Toronto sections that combined at Capreol, Ontario.

Thanks. I saw the running times on page 2 and the description that it runs "Montreal - Ottawa - Toronto - ... - Vancouver", so assumed it was one train running the whole route.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#24 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:03 AM

Wait, how did the "Continental Limited" get from Toronto to Montreal in about four hours? Doesn't the Ocean take about a day to do a similar trip?

I don't know about the first one probably faster running. But the second one the Ocean terminates in Montreal and doesn't go any further.
Also, some VIA corridor trains do run Montreal to Toronto in under five hours.
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#25 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:35 AM

Also, some VIA corridor trains do run Montreal to Toronto in under five hours.

The Turbo Train ran it in 3 hours, 59 minutes.    https://www.mtlblog....to-luxury-train

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#26 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

redacted

Edited by cpotisch, 16 August 2018 - 11:12 AM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#27 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:02 PM

The Turbo Train ran it in 3 hours, 59 minutes.    https://www.mtlblog....to-luxury-train

Some Turbo Nostalgia from 1967:

Attached Files

• railiner likes this

#28 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:55 PM

Was noise a factor?  I know that freight turbine engines (the UP's "Big Blows") were hugely noisy, such that they didn't operate them at all in urban areas.  They were pretty much restricted to the more remote sections of the Overland Route (Wyoming, Nebraska, etc).

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#29 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:30 AM

I didn't find riding in the dome power car very noisy, at all...no noisier than say a Budd RDC.  The turbine engine sound was greatly muted, and probably no louder than the 'whoosh' of air-conditioning in an Amfleet coach.    They had the best railfan seats on rails...you could sit directly behind the engineer, or fireman, and see thru the glass panel right over their shoulder, and on thru the windshield... :cool:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#30 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:09 AM

....... They had the best railfan seats on rails...you could sit directly behind the engineer, or fireman, and see thru the glass panel right over their shoulder, and on thru the windshield... :cool:

Riding Amtrak's Turbo under the old New Haven catenary through Connecticut...and outside, I don't recall the Turbine noise to be any louder than a HEP unit. Perhaps quieter.

Attached Files

• railiner and cpotisch like this

#31 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:01 AM

Actually, I should have disclosed in my post, that was where I rode them--on the Penn Central though, a couple of years before Amtrak even existed.  They made the run from Back Bay Station to Grand Central Terminal in I believe, 3 hours and 55 minutes, over a fairly poor right-of-way.   They were capable of 160 mph, but could not get anywhere near that on that line.   They did reach that when tested between New Brunswick and Trenton...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#32 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:44 AM

Here's the Penn Central Timetable from Back Bay to GCT

Attached Files

• railiner likes this

#33 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:36 PM

So...it was only 3 hours, 39 minutes on some trains...my memory was a bit hazy...but how do you like those fares?  'Regular trains' were even lower... :)

As usual, NS VIA Fan, thanks so much for posting those great items of interest. :hi:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#34 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:33 AM

So...it was only 3 hours, 39 minutes on some trains...my memory was a bit hazy...but how do you like those fares?  'Regular trains' were even lower... :)

As usual, NS VIA Fan, thanks so much for posting those great items of interest. :hi:

I wonder what other good things he has in his collection. That could be an interesting off topic thread.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#35 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:06 PM

I wonder what other good things he has in his collection. That could be an interesting off topic thread.

Check out the AU Lounge :)

#36 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:52 PM

Check out the AU Lounge :)

I've never been there...do you need a pass to get in? :P

Just kiddin'....I'm headed over there, shortly... ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#37 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,709 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:14 PM

Randomly, why Back Bay and not South Station?  (I know there was an infamous attempt to cut service back to Route 128, but I'm not sure if this was part of such a game)

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#38 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:56 PM

Randomly, why Back Bay and not South Station?  (I know there was an infamous attempt to cut service back to Route 128, but I'm not sure if this was part of such a game)

I am not sure entirely, but by starting and ending at Back Bay, they could shave off a few minutes in their advertised Boston-New York running time, in an attempt to attract some air shuttle passenger's.    Another reason may be to make it easier to get to their maintenance base...not sure of that, either...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#39 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:21 AM

The Turbos were maintained at United Aircraft in Providence RI so it was a bit closer (but only by a couple of miles!) Shortly afterwards.....they were serving South Station
  • railiner likes this

#40 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:28 PM

The Turbos were maintained at United Aircraft in Providence RI so it was a bit closer (but only by a couple of miles!) Shortly afterwards.....they were serving South Station

Thanks....I kind of remembered there was something like that to do with it, but forgot the details... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users