Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

$2.1B plan aims to make all CTA stations accessible

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John Bredin

John Bredin

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

http://digitaleditio...1a-0f8f5a31ec42

The article mentions a station that'll be hairy to make accessible, Damen/North Blue Line, but I would love to see a plan for installing elevators at North/Clybourn Red Line.  :blink:  I have a hard time when I'm there even visualizing where the platforms are in relation to the station-house and the mezzanine-ish not-level (a few steps) corridors connecting the platforms to the station-house.

#2 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

Glad to hear this seems to be a priority now. Thanks for posting.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#3 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:09 PM

North/Clybourn is just bizarre. I'm convinced it's actually a wormhole with an Apple store.

• jis, John Bredin, trainman74 and 3 others like this
Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#4 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:27 AM

This "plan" is just odd since it seems to be no plan, at all, but just an expressed desire.

It is also going to be interesting to see how they manage to squeeze elevators into small footprint platforms, such as on the Red Line.

As for the Forest Park/Congress branch, sure they don't have elevators, which might be desirable. However, due to their long ramps, aren't they essentially ADA compliant and accessible, already?

I miss the old station house at North/Clyborn which I thought should have been preserved. I miss the pizza place on the corner that served New York slices even more.
  • MARC Rider and cpotisch like this

#5 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

The ramps might be too steep and there might not be enough clearance in the "station houses" for accessibility.

I see this as majorly aspirational - money is going to be hard to find (though they found it for the Belmont flyover).

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users