Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak 30,000 bonus points offer on World Mastercard

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 scrollmaster

scrollmaster

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:38 AM

Okay, it is showing as a "limited time" offer on AGR but only 20,000 on Amtrak.com whether I am signed in or not.  Well I have both cards so offer does not apply to me anyway.

I see the offer on BOTH Amtrak.com home page and AGR home page...without signing in. But like you Tenn Traveler, I already have the paid card.
It is on my AGR pageAttached File  20180718_033424.jpeg   45.7KB   21 downloads

#22 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:00 AM

Thanx Dave, I'm dreamin again!!!  :hi:

Just imagine if they were good for sleeper upgrades. That’s bad for business. ;)
  • Rail Freak likes this
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#23 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

I have had my AGR card for five months and I got the 20,000 point bonus. Would be nice if they would give an extra 10,000 points for existing card members
  • Rail Freak likes this

#24 RichieRich

RichieRich

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:24 AM

Had my AGR card for many many years...was originally Chase, now BOA. Ran into some very small fine print re the TQPs. They say you earn 1,000 when spending over $5,000/month. I generally charge more then $5,000 every month, however - fine print = 4,000 TQPs LIMIT/yr earning this way. Been in Select Plus since the beginning due to train usage. Funny thing - I only ride ONE train = AT. Just that it's at least 6-8 times/yr and earn TQPs on that. Regular Rewards points based on card usage. The AGR is well worth it if you train & charge a lot.

#25 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

Had my AGR card for many many years...was originally Chase, now BOA. Ran into some very small fine print re the TQPs. They say you earn 1,000 when spending over $5,000/month. I generally charge more then $5,000 every month, however - fine print = 4,000 TQPs LIMIT/yr earning this way. Been in Select Plus since the beginning due to train usage. Funny thing - I only ride ONE train = AT. Just that it's at least 6-8 times/yr and earn TQPs on that. Regular Rewards points based on card usage. The AGR is well worth it if you train & charge a lot.

I think it's $5,000/quarter, not month.  So, yeah, you'd only earn 4000 pts/year

#26 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,239 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:47 PM

I don’t think there is any time limit within the year for spending the $5000 to get the 1000 TQP. You are limited to at most 4000 TQP per year using this method. This is mainly so that you cannot get any status purely using your credit card.

If AGR status is not important then probably a card like the Sapphire Reserve is better than the AGR card even for Amtrak travel and definitely for travel spanning multiple services from multiple companies in any cases.

Edited by jis, 22 July 2018 - 01:51 PM.

#27 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

If AGR status is not important then probably a card like the Sapphire Reserve is better than the AGR card even for Amtrak travel and definitely for travel spanning multiple services from multiple companies in any cases.

Honestly, after comparing at least the CSP vs. the AGR paid card, I came to the conclusion that the AGR card had more worthwhile benefits for me, and Amtrak is by no means a primary mode of intercity travel for me. It basically came down to the fact that every dollar earns one AGR point, which I can reliably convert to 2.5 cents of value. (If I remember right, an AGR point usually comes in at around 2.9 cents per point when compared to the Value fare, but I always take a little bit off because of potential Saver fares, loss of the NARP discount, etc.) Even with the CSP transfer partners, anything above 1.25 to 1.5 cents/point required finding sweet spots in programs that weren't terribly applicable to me. The CSR does come with a bit more offerings, but the annual fee is higher ($150 after deducting the $300 credit for travel expenses) and most of the other benefits aren't selling points to me (I only fly a few times a year, so lounge access isn't crucial, and the Pre/GE reimbursement doesn't apply to me as I have NEXUS.)

That said, I rarely travel internationally, so the international redemption options don't appeal to me, and most of my domestic routes have ULCC competition that drives down the price such that redeeming points doesn't result in a good value. I'm also usually fine with cheap hotels, so it's tough to get true value out of hotel redemptions. The AGR card works because I want to take Amtrak specifically at least a time or two a year, and the Amtrak card does give a good daily spend value for AGR points/redemptions.

#28 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

How does the companion pass work? 

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#29 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,239 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:59 PM

Honestly, after comparing at least the CSP vs. the AGR paid card, I came to the conclusion that the AGR card had more worthwhile benefits for me, and Amtrak is by no means a primary mode of intercity travel for me. It basically came down to the fact that every dollar earns one AGR point, which I can reliably convert to 2.5 cents of value. (If I remember right, an AGR point usually comes in at around 2.9 cents per point when compared to the Value fare, but I always take a little bit off because of potential Saver fares, loss of the NARP discount, etc.) Even with the CSP transfer partners, anything above 1.25 to 1.5 cents/point required finding sweet spots in programs that weren't terribly applicable to me. The CSR does come with a bit more offerings, but the annual fee is higher ($150 after deducting the $300 credit for travel expenses) and most of the other benefits aren't selling points to me (I only fly a few times a year, so lounge access isn't crucial, and the Pre/GE reimbursement doesn't apply to me as I have NEXUS.)

That said, I rarely travel internationally, so the international redemption options don't appeal to me, and most of my domestic routes have ULCC competition that drives down the price such that redeeming points doesn't result in a good value. I'm also usually fine with cheap hotels, so it's tough to get true value out of hotel redemptions. The AGR card works because I want to take Amtrak specifically at least a time or two a year, and the Amtrak card does give a good daily spend value for AGR points/redemptions.
My travel pattern is almost exactly the opposite. So it is not surprising that AGR Card is at best of marginal value to me. After moving to Florida my use of Amtrak in any form has dropped off precipitously, while my air travel both domestic and international carries on unabated.

#30 cruisegary

cruisegary

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:00 AM

Interesing comparison of CSP and Amtrak cards.   Why not have both?  Get all the perks on each, at least for one year.

#31 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,239 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:17 AM

Interesing comparison of CSP and Amtrak cards.   Why not have both?  Get all the perks on each, at least for one year.

I do have both. So yeah that works out fine. I use the AGR Card to accumulate points for free travel on Amtrak, and the other card(s) for other stuff involving international travel and such.

#32 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:21 PM

Okay, so...cypher me this.

I have *both* of the Amtrak Mastercards. I've built up a healthy point balance (>130,000 points), so I can go pretty much wherever I want.

If my bride applies for a card...

1) Will she be accepted (great credit score)

2) Is there any way to transfer her points to *my* account without paying ridiculous fees?

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI; 9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI; 3/15 CONO - Round trip; 9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI; 11/15 CONO - Round trip; 5/16 EB - Round trip; 12/16 CONO -  Round Trip; 5/17 EB - Round trip; 10/17 CONO - Round trip

#33 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,203 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

1) It is up to BOA, but if she does (and the card account is in her name and the points go to her own AGR account) she can get the bonus!

2) No there is not. But why not just redeem one way for both of you from your account, and the other way for both of you from her account?:huh:
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#34 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:16 AM

I'm assuming "The 90 Days" starts when you activate your card, not when you receive it?

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#35 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,203 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:55 AM

I am not certain, but I think it begins when you are approved, even though you may not receive it in the mail for a week or so! It would not be when you activate it, because you could receive it on February 15 but for some reason not decide to use (and activate it) until November 12!
Take it easy .......

#36 City of Miami

City of Miami

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:00 AM

re: the value of an AGR point - all the times I have checked on specific trips I want the VALUE FARE value has been 2.2 cents or less. The 2..9 cents value is from the SAVER FARE which is irrelevant because you can't get that with AGR points.

Am I missing something?

Edited by City of Miami, 27 July 2018 - 09:01 AM.

#37 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,203 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:02 AM

The value rate of an AGR point varies.

The old blackout dates that were excluded are no more. However, they can be redeemed but cost more points! Thus the value rate for those dates are lower. Other redemptions also have a different value. There is no rhyme or reason.
Take it easy .......

#38 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:36 PM

Outside of specific peak windows, AGR points seem to redeem at 1 point for roughly every 2.9 cents on the value fare class, or current-bucket sleeper fare. If you're comparing the number of points to saver fare, then the cents that each point gets you is less. That's why I typically won't use points if I can get a saver fare and want to travel coach, and save points for sleeper redemptions or last-minute redemptions where the saver fare is no longer available.

I drop a few tenths of a penny off the 2.9 as there are discounts that I can get on the value fare or rail fare portion of a sleeper that I don't get with AGR redemptions (mainly NARP) but overall the value is still, at least mentally, around 2.5 cents/point. That's in part because I don't use points when I can book a saver fare instead, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users