Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Viewliner II Part 3: Bag/Dorm Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#141 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

I try......

#142 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

Still love the sound of a tube amp, but I don't listen to enough music to justify it. Nice to see a beautifully made product can still come from the Southern Tier of NY.

Ha ha...I 'get' the subtle shot at CAF..... ;)

Sorry, I don't get it...

Where are the Viewliner's being made? :)

Elmira, but that's not what I don't get. How is that "a subtle shot at CAF"? Just sounds like he's explicitly complimenting CAF, rather than making some sort of subtle insult. 

If you looked at the link for that McIntosh Amp, you would see that it was made in Binghamton--also in the "Southern Tier" of NY....he was being sarcastic, inferring that not everything made their is not good.... 

• AmtrakBlue likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#143 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:11 PM

Still love the sound of a tube amp, but I don't listen to enough music to justify it. Nice to see a beautifully made product can still come from the Southern Tier of NY.

Ha ha...I 'get' the subtle shot at CAF..... ;)

Sorry, I don't get it...

Where are the Viewliner's being made? :)

Elmira, but that's not what I don't get. How is that "a subtle shot at CAF"? Just sounds like he's explicitly complimenting CAF, rather than making some sort of subtle insult. 

If you looked at the link for that McIntosh Amp, you would see that it was made in Binghamton--also in the "Southern Tier" of NY....he was being sarcastic, inferring that not everything made their is not good.... 

Ohhhhhh. Thank you!  :)

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#144 cocojacoby

cocojacoby

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

Yeah interesting that Alstom and CAF are both located there.  Politics have something to do with it too.  Unfortunately the things I have read say the skill level of the local population is lacking and that is hurting the quality of the products coming out of that area. 

#145 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:55 PM

Hornell has a rail history back 160 years. The CAF site is also not new to rail cars. The lack of workers with modern manufacturing skills is a nationwide problem with a number of contributing factors, certainly not restricted to that area. Government incentives to lure business to a depressed area particularly where suitable space exists is pretty typical. 

#146 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:19 PM

If one were to accept the not having to move at Albany scenario, which may or may not be realistic, you would need to look at which rooms freed up would provide the greatest yield pattern (added rooms to sell against revenue if buckets are influenced) The NY section  has more crew members, would those rooms bring in more than the BOS rooms? I don't know what the numbers are in terms of percent filled and yield. Is it easy enough for BOS OBS to move, as opposed to NY since the dining car is serving at that time? It is not really worthwhile to have these cars if you can't get a good added yield. 

OK.  This is what I actually expect.  I expect the Boston sleeper and the Boston baggage car to be replaced with a bag-dorm -- the Boston sleeper routinely has significantly lower demand than the NY sleeper, and two full baggage cars is overkill except in the very busiest days of the year.  Then I expect the "Boston" sleeper to be reassigned to the New York side, where there is *plenty* of demand.  Yes, this means the train into NY is one car longer, but it'll still fit on the platform, so that's fine.

And to the person who asked, yes, the rooms in the bag-dorm are saleable roomettes.

Edited by neroden, 06 August 2018 - 05:20 PM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#147 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:24 PM

It is an indeed an odd number.  The only thing I can surmise is:

Lake Shore Limited=3
Silver Star or Crescent=4
The Cardinal=2
Protect=1

I figure the Meteor already has three revenue sleepers so that train is out.  The Crescent currently has more staff so it will yield more rooms. We don't know how long that will remain the case. However, they continue to close more stations along the routes, eliminating the need for bag dorms.

Maybe Just Thinking was on to something when he said axle count cars. Logically, it would free up 10 coaches. Maybe they swap bag dorms for full baggage cars and send the bags as axle count cars.

I DO like the idea of putting them on the 67&66. Why not? it is pure revenue.

What's the baggage load like on 66/67?  Will it fit in a bag-dorm?

If so, then maybe:
66/67 - 2 bag-dorms
448/449 - 3 bag-dorms
Cardinal - 2 bag-droms
Protect at Boston
Protect at Chicago
One saved for the daily Cardinal

I know, I can dream...

On another topic, there's already a Boston-based cafe / business car attendant on 448/449. They can hire a Boston-based sleeper attendant for 66/67; this is not a problem.

Edited by neroden, 06 August 2018 - 05:27 PM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#148 cocojacoby

cocojacoby

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

If one were to accept the not having to move at Albany scenario, which may or may not be realistic, you would need to look at which rooms freed up would provide the greatest yield pattern (added rooms to sell against revenue if buckets are influenced) The NY section  has more crew members, would those rooms bring in more than the BOS rooms? I don't know what the numbers are in terms of percent filled and yield. Is it easy enough for BOS OBS to move, as opposed to NY since the dining car is serving at that time? It is not really worthwhile to have these cars if you can't get a good added yield. 

OK.  This is what I actually expect.  I expect the Boston sleeper and the Boston baggage car to be replaced with a bag-dorm -- the Boston sleeper routinely has significantly lower demand than the NY sleeper, and two full baggage cars is overkill except in the very busiest days of the year.  Then I expect the "Boston" sleeper to be reassigned to the New York side, where there is *plenty* of demand.  Yes, this means the train into NY is one car longer, but it'll still fit on the platform, so that's fine.

And to the person who asked, yes, the rooms in the bag-dorm are saleable roomettes.

But isn't the whole idea of the baggage/dorm to put the crew in there to open revenue space in the regular sleepers?

#149 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:45 PM

But isn't the whole idea of the baggage/dorm to put the crew in there to open revenue space in the regular sleepers?

That was the original idea, however if they have spares and there's a train that doesn't need a regular sleeper or a full baggage car, a bag-dorm could serve both purposes well. As was said, this would make sense on trains like the Cardinal, Boston section of the LSL, and the overnight Regionals (65/66/67). If they replaced the baggage car on those trains with a bag-dorm, they would probably still have enough baggage space, while increasing (or introducing) sleeper space.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#150 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:54 PM

Then I expect the "Boston" sleeper to be reassigned to the New York side, where there is *plenty* of demand.  Yes, this means the train into NY is one car longer, but it'll still fit on the platform, so that's fine.

There will not be platform length problems even with Empire NYP train lengths 4 cars longer.   Remember that the present NYPS work is adding new crossovers so empire trains can reach all the way to track 15 with many tracks what 12 cars long..

#151 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:43 PM

If you move the sleeper off of Boston and place it on NY and sub the Bag-dorm you will have no ADA/H room to Boston. Doubt that will fly. A good thought perhaps, but likely a non-starter.

• daybeers and AG1 like this

#152 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:06 PM

Definitely. The only this is VA wants bike service. I don't know if the bag dorm has bike racks. I believe they were supposed to but it has been so long, I've almost forgotten who makes these cars, when they were ordered, when they were due.

Perhaps Knight Rider can help us from here.

• daybeers likes this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#153 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,303 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:26 PM

Definitely. The only this is VA wants bike service. I don't know if the bag dorm has bike racks. I believe they were supposed to but it has been so long, I've almost forgotten who makes these cars, when they were ordered, when they were due.

Yep, wasn't Downs or Warrington CEO back when this sorry Deal was done?
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#154 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:02 AM

Yep, wasn't Downs or Warrington CEO back when this sorry Deal was done?

I believe Claytor was.....

• MARC Rider likes this

#155 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:07 PM

Ordered in July 2010, so that would have been under Boardman. So, any bag/dorm news out of Florida?

#156 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,303 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:21 PM

Ordered in July 2010, so that would have been under Boardman. So, any bag/dorm news out of Florida?

That was "tongue in cheek", since its been too long since this never ending saga began!😥
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#157 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

That was "tongue in cheek", since its been too long since this never ending saga began!

Sorry, should have added the "Bronx cheer" emoticon! But, (more) seriously, any news out of Hialeah? (I assume CAF will hold further bag/dorm construction until Amtrak blesses the first article...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users