Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Viewliner II Part 3: Bag/Dorm Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#41 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

They have the same modules.

So in that case, no reason why some couldn't be sold as revenue space, just as they are in the Superliner trans-dorms....
Trans-dorms have way more roomettes than the bag-dorms, so they have plenty of space to sell to passengers. The bag-dorm has eight roomettes, and once you put crew in there, it just might not be worth it to sell revenue space. Let's say there are seven crew members on a given LD train. Would it really be worth it to sell one room in the bag-dorm? With such limited capacity, it just often wouldn't be practical to bother putting revenue passengers in there.
I think it would be worth REVENUE.
  • Ryan and AG1 like this

#42 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:59 PM

The RailPlan (company that builds the modules) website shows quite a few of them on the warehouse floor packed for shipment and that is an old picture.They are the largest supplier to CAF for this project. I don't know present stauts, but obviously, if they were built, they would want to get paid. I have not looked at their financials, a major deferral of delivery would have to have been noted. I believe it is a privately held company, so it is not as easy to see numbers as with a publicly traded company.

Edited by PVD, 17 July 2018 - 05:06 PM.

• railiner, Maglev, Pere Flyer and 1 other like this

#43 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:08 PM

The RailPlan (company that builds the modules) website shows quite a few of them on the warehouse floor packed for shipment and that is an old picture.They are the largest supplier to CAF for this project. I don't know present stauts, but obviously, if they were built, they would want to get paid. I have not looked at their financials, a major deferral of delivery would have to have been noted. I believe it is a privately held company, so it is not as easy to see numbers as with a publicly traded company.

Thanks for posting that...I had no knowledge of this company until I read your post....

http://www.railplan....ewliner-ii.html

https://www.caf.net/...talle.php?p=189

Edited by PRR 60, 18 July 2018 - 09:07 AM.

• Cho Cho Charlie, Dakota 400 and cpotisch like this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#44 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for posting that...I had no knowledge of this company until I read your post....

I see the new, toilet-less, roomettes will still have the storage cubby over the hallway ceiling. :D
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#45 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:12 PM

I see the new, toilet-less, roomettes will still have the storage cubby over the hallway ceiling. :D

Dear god. Thanks for that image!

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#46 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

I love the storage cubby over the hallway ceiling! :)

However, the pictures of the modules do look a bit depressing--just like large storage boxes til they get fitted into the train. (A box in which to enjoy your picnic in a box.... :P)

• Rail Freak likes this

#47 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

I love the storage cubby over the hallway ceiling! :)

I think you might have missed the joke...

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#48 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

Thirdrail, can you give us a cryptic ETA of the new cars?

#49 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

Hmm, he already did let us know when the 1st one is headed south. See diner thread.

#50 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

Hmm, he already did let us know when the 1st one is headed south. See diner thread.

He might mean eta of the first bag/dorms (aka, bad/dorms  :) ). My guess is a long-running ABC news show.

• cpotisch likes this

#51 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

I'm looking through the diner thread and I couldn't find any hints about the day. It's probably right there and I'm just blind but could you link or multiquote it?

#52 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

He might mean eta of the first bag/dorms (aka, bad/dorms  :) ). My guess is a long-running ABC news show.

20/20? Where'd you see that that's the date of delivery?

#53 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

20/20? Where'd you see that that's the date of delivery?

Personal guess not based on any facts.  On the other hand, pessimism regarding Viewliner II production has generally been rewarded.

• daybeers and cpotisch like this

#54 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:08 PM

I'm looking through the diner thread and I couldn't find any hints about the day. It's probably right there and I'm just blind but could you link or multiquote it?
Sorry, it’s in this thread.
I would be out there now to catch it, but it’s headed to WAS on a different train this time.

#55 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

I would be out there now to catch it, but it’s headed to WAS on a different train this time.

Thanks. So it's this week but I guess we don't know the date yet.

#56 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

Thanks. So it's this week but I guess we don't know the date yet.
If I got it right, it leaves on 67 tonight. Will hang out in DC tomorrow. Then hop on 97 on Friday.

#57 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:21 PM

Thanks.

#58 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:05 PM

You don’t wanna be up for 67 to go by Newark a little after 5am?
  • daybeers likes this
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#59 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:11 PM

You don’t wanna be up for 67 to go by Newark a little after 5am?

Nope, but I am considering catching 67 on my way to the Gathering.  Figure that one out.  ;)

#60 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:58 PM

On most folks list of "where I'd like to be at 5 AM" I'm betting Newark Penn Station doesn't turn up that often. 

Edited by PVD, 18 July 2018 - 06:03 PM.

• Triley and daybeers like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users