Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

What's your favorite train terrain?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:41 PM

By now, just about everyone knows I don't like high mountains and love rivers and even flat Florida :).

What type of landscape do you like to see outside your train window?

#2 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:07 PM

Mountains and rivers.  The flat lands get a bit boring after awhile.

• Dan O and OldCond like this

#3 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

Mountains and rivers are good. However deserts and Sierras sort of have a magic of their own. For me, that's why the CZ is the prettiest train in the system. It has the Sierras, mountains, farmlands - you get to see it all.

• Dan O likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#4 Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:46 PM

I enjoy just looking out the window of a train.  Even the vast wastewater plant one sees north of Portland is interesting to me.  I don't mind looking at plains all day.  Here's an exciting view of a flock of Trumpeter Swans seen on the boring flatlands between Portland and Eugene (I had the wrong lens on my camera for a close-up, but the swans are the white spots):

Attached File  IMG_7103.jpg   34.03KB   19 downloads

• tricia, Chey and cpotisch like this

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#5 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:22 PM

The steeper and higher, the better. Which is why I prefer the Spokane-Seattle leg of the EB to the Spokane-Portland leg, though the latter is beautiful in its own right. I love the CZ through the Rockies and Sierras for that same reason.
Amtrak Miles Traveled: 86162--City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, Cascades, Crescent, Capital Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited,  Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal, Vermonter, Northeast Regional, Downeaster. 
Pre-Amtrak Miles Traveled:8478-- North Coast Limited, Panama Limited, Empire Builder, Abraham Lincoln, City of Hinkle

#6 Johanna

Johanna

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

I love the wind-eroded rock formations like you see all along the CZ route in Utah and in various other locations throughout the West.  They're so different from the terrain I see at home, it feels almost like being on another planet.

ETA photo:

Attached File  P5240237.JPG   88.15KB   20 downloads

Edited by Johanna, 12 July 2018 - 05:58 PM.

• jis, FrensicPic, Chey and 1 other like this

#7 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

I find the route of the Empire Builder to be of interest to me as to scenery.  The California Zephyr's route west of Denver and into Utah and Nevada and Eastern California are enjoyable as well.  Parts of the Sunset Limited's route, i.e. just West of New Orleans and areas near the U.S.-Mexico border, were surprises to me.

I also think the landscape in the area between New York and Washington can be interesting.  

And, the views of the Government buildings as the train leaves/enter Washington Union Station can't be beat!

#8 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,203 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

I enjoy the view of the Front Range when coming to Denver from the east, seeing the mountains getting closer and closer! It means you will have a great day coming up!:)

An aside: Living for years in RI, I find it humorous to hear the weather reports say “in the higher elevations (of RI)”. The highest point in RI is I think 640 feet! Many cities have buildings taller than that!:giggle:
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#9 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

Parts of the Sunset Limited's route, i.e. just West of New Orleans and areas near the U.S.-Mexico border, were surprises to me.

I agree! The Sunset Limited is actually very scenic for a good portion of the trip, with some great views of wildlife and tiny ghost towns in the desert. An underrated route.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#10 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

I like soaring views of downtowns....typically from bridges, but overlooks work just as well for me.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#11 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:51 PM

Parts of the Sunset Limited's route, i.e. just West of New Orleans and areas near the U.S.-Mexico border, were surprises to me.

I agree! The Sunset Limited is actually very scenic for a good portion of the trip, with some great views of wildlife and tiny ghost towns in the desert. An underrated route.

The views of the white Border Patrol trucks as the train traveled near the border in the desert was something that I did not expect to see.

#12 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:02 PM

I love the wind-eroded rock formations like you see all along the CZ route in Utah and in various other locations throughout the West.  They're so different from the terrain I see at home, it feels almost like being on another planet.

ETA photo:

attachicon.gifP5240237.JPG

I remember  these outcroppings.  I was simply amazed.  Looks like someone cut the rock that way or built a building on top of the hill.    I would love to take a ride with a geologist where they  could give some information on the various rock formations and such.   There were more interesting formations in Utah.   Sort of looked like enormous piles of fine gravel.

#13 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:05 PM

I enjoy the view of the Front Range when coming to Denver from the east, seeing the mountains getting closer and closer! It means you will have a great day coming up! :)

An aside: Living for years in RI, I find it humorous to hear the weather reports say “in the higher elevations (of RI)”. The highest point in RI is I think 640 feet! Many cities have buildings taller than that! :giggle:

Going east is awesome too.   It is striking how flat Denver is even though it is the mile high city.    And the viewing switch backs from above is just fascinating.   A engineering marvel when you just road over miles and miles of engineering marvels.

#14 choochoodood

choochoodood

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:12 PM

I particularly like the western arid climates along the SL/TE and CZ routes.

Attached Files

• Chey and cpotisch like this

Amtrak trains ridden: Lake Shore Limited (11); Pennsylvanian (9); Capitol Limited (6); Texas Eagle (1); Sunset Limited (1); Empire Builder (2); California Zephyr (1); City Of New Orleans (1); Northeast Direct (2); Cascades (2)

#15 Chey

Chey

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:17 PM

Whatever is outside my window is fascinating to me.

I love the classic scenery of the CZ - but I also loved seeing the farms in eastern Colorado. I loved the rural - and urban - scenes from Chicago to Kansas City. Cleveland and Cincinnati at night were amazing. Harper's Ferry was very beautiful. The above-ground cemeteries of NOL were wild! Seeing the radio towers on the back of South Mountain from Maricopa brought me to tears remembering the first time I drove into Phoenix to live there in 1964 (pretty much unrecognizable now.) Going through the Simi Valley, the Pacific coast and later the SLO area were fantastic. My return trip on the CZ was delayed by hours and I saw Utah by day - I'd never realized how beautiful it is. No wonder the Mormons thought it was the promised land! A delayed SL took us through orange grove areas descending from the San Bernardino Valley. The sweet Raton Pass -the semaphores - and Lamy, and the Pueblos between there and Albuquerque. The beauty of Virginia all the way down to Louisiana. The amazing course of the Potomac from the CL going through MD (WV?), and the Mississippi,from the TE on the way from SL going through IL. The wonder of the Pecos Bridge on the SL! What a beautiful country we have! I love all of it! Whatever I've left out here are some of the areas I managed to sleep a bit, not that I ever wanted to miss anything/

This fall I will get to see a couple of routes I've never seen before. And I expect to fall in love with this land again.

Edited by Chey, 12 July 2018 - 09:55 PM.

• oregon pioneer and cpotisch like this

#16 Sauve850

Sauve850

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Scuba Diving, Travel and Adventure

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:20 PM

I enjoy the CZ scenery. I really enjoy the eastern Utah areas. I live in Florida and find it to be the least favorite landscape.

• Rail Freak likes this

#17 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:07 PM

Next to a body of water of some kind, or crossing a railroad bridge.  I've enjoyed going over the Carquinez Strait on the Coast Starlight and Capitol Corridor.  I spent the stretch of the Coast Starlight from Tacoma to DuPont (where it hugs Puget Sound) in the Sightseeing Lounge.  I also enjoyed the bridge crossings over the Columbia and Sacramento Rivers.  I guess I was sleeping and it was dark when it hugged Klamath Lake as well as several bridge crossings. 

#18 Skyline

Skyline

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

Mountains and rivers are good. However deserts and Sierras sort of have a magic of their own. For me, that's why the CZ is the prettiest train in the system. It has the Sierras, mountains, farmlands - you get to see it all.

Agree. Diversity rules.

• cpotisch likes this

#19 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,303 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:30 AM

Agree. Diversity rules.
This.
  • oregon pioneer likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#20 SanAntonioClyde

SanAntonioClyde

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Rail,Passenger Association member. Getting daily Sunset Limited service and better San Antonio Amtrak station.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

Crossing over freeways that are parking lots.

• oregon pioneer, AmtrakBlue, Johanna and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users