Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Unused railtrack nearby? Got an old van?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:34 AM

Not sure if this is exactly private rail car territory, but this looks such fun !

https://youtu.be/0zeBIxI7n1I

Ed.

• railiner and FrensicPic like this

#2 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,700 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

Carries its own turntable! :cool:

Rather than building that contraption, wouldn't it be better to just purchase a surplus Hy-Rail vehicle?   You could then turn it around at any crossing, and also use the same vehicle on the highway, too... :)

For example....

https://www.customtr...orsepower=0 600

Edited by railiner, 12 July 2018 - 09:59 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#3 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:41 AM

I think half the fun would be to build it for yourself.

(Don't try this at home, kids...)

Ed

#4 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

Not sure if this is exactly private rail car territory, but this looks such fun !

https://youtu.be/0zeBIxI7n1I

Ed.

Gonna get me a minivan when I retire!

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#5 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

That's funny, I happened upon that video a couple days ago. That does look like so much fun. 

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#6 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

All you need is a rail go-kart.

https://www.youtube....l road go kart

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#7 Fred Wis.

Fred Wis.

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

A new use for the possibly soon retired section of the Southwest Chief route?

#8 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:40 AM

Don't do this on any rail line on your own. Go in an organized group motorcar people do this. Or you can do the Oregon coast rail riders but that's actually a bike b
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#9 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

If anyone here has ever watched Top Gear, you might recall this challenge that they did in 2011:

(there's a bit more to that episode, but only those parts are on youtube)

• railiner and Train_Freak like this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#10 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,700 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:54 AM

That's hilarious...amazing how they were able to produce that...just imagine trying to produce that in the US...only possibility would be thru use of lots of 'CGI'... ;)

• cpotisch likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#11 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:05 AM

That's hilarious...amazing how they were able to produce that...just imagine trying to produce that in the US...only possibility would be thru use of lots of 'CGI'... ;)

It's pretty great. Unfortunately those clips don't show the initial assembly of the Jaguar "locomotive" and of the caravan train cars, which the full episode does. Great show, that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users