Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Goodbye to the Talgos?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 NSC1109

NSC1109

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

Amtrak's Cascades service is known for their use of the Talgo equipment. However, is it time to say goodbye to those unique cars? 

According to an article published by Bloomberg, the Talgo sets used by Amtrak do not conform to safety standards set in 1999. While federal regulators were comfortable with the cars at speeds not in excess of 50 MPH, they had concerns at speeds above 50, yet grandfathered the cars in any way because the FRA felt that the main goal of the safety standards had been met. 

The FRA has also released its preliminary report on the 501 accident. Both operating crew members (the engineer and qualifying conductor) still have not been interviewed due to their injuries. 

https://www.ntsb.gov...001-prelim.aspx

https://www.bloomber...rrent-standards

Routes Traveled:
Blue Water, Wolverine, Hiawatha, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Northeast Regional, Cascades

Routes I want to travel on:
CONO, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Capitol Corridor.

#2 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:23 PM

How would the Talgos not conform to safety standards? Don't all equipment have to conform to the standards set by the FRA?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#3 NSC1109

NSC1109

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:24 PM

How would the Talgos not conform to safety standards? Don't all equipment have to conform to the standards set by the FRA?

Talgos had a waiver.

Routes Traveled:
Blue Water, Wolverine, Hiawatha, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Northeast Regional, Cascades

CONO, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Capitol Corridor.

#4 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

THe original Talgos do not, they received a waiver from the FRA to run, under certain circumstances... The two restrictions I know of are that they have to have a compliant car on each end & can not exceed a certain speed (50), but there are more.

The new Talgos do meet the standards.

peter
  • Triley likes this
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#5 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:38 PM

Read the transcript of the NTSB hearing from yesterday (7/10). I watched most of it, and it sounded like the Talgos were retrofitted to meet appropriate standards. I suspect that the NTSB members (most of whom have aviation backgrounds) were pretty disconcerted by the events leading up to the Amtrak 501 incident, and there will be more than enough blame to go around.

https://www.seattlet...outh-of-tacoma/

https://www.heraldne...ck-near-dupont/

• Triley and priller like this
Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#6 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:36 PM

The way I see it, 501 was from human error. Had PTC been in place, of course it wouldn't have happened, but ultimately it came down to human error. Considering the older Talgos have been brought up to FRA standards and that the new ones have always me those standards, why are people still pinning this on the equipment?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#7 NSC1109

NSC1109

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:40 PM

Read the transcript of the NTSB hearing from yesterday (7/10). I watched most of it, and it sounded like the Talgos were retrofitted to meet appropriate standards. I suspect that the NTSB members (most of whom have aviation backgrounds) were pretty disconcerted by the events leading up to the Amtrak 501 incident, and there will be more than enough blame to go around.
https://www.seattlet...outh-of-tacoma/
https://www.heraldne...ck-near-dupont/

I’d imagine that Amtrak will definitely shoulder a good chunk of the blame. Quite frankly, I’m not sure why they went along with night training. Any idiot knows that you aren’t going to see landmarks as well at night than during the day. Couple that with seven people in the cab and it was a disaster waiting to happen.

I’m happy to see middle management wasn’t totally complacent, considering at least the road foreman had issues with the curve. However, they should’ve been aware about the issues with too many people in the cab for qualifying runs. If the reason behind the night runs and mass training is because BNSF wanted to be picky, then I hope they shoulder some of the blame too.

What I find interesting is that the papers report that the NTSB spoke to the engineer, whereas the preliminary NTSB report on the NTSB site says they haven’t been able to speak with either the engineer or qualifying conductor due to their injuries.

As for the Talgos, according the the Bloomberg article, despite the modifications made, the cars still didn’t meet the 1999 standards and were operating on a waiver.
  • Triley and g28646 like this
Routes Traveled:

#8 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

I just can't imagine Amfleets or Superliners doing any better in that crash.
  • cirdan and cpotisch like this

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#9 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:58 PM

The way I see it, 501 was from human error. Had PTC been in place, of course it wouldn't have happened, but ultimately it came down to human error. Considering the older Talgos have been brought up to FRA standards and that the new ones have always me those standards, why are people still pinning this on the equipment?

While the older Talgos were strengthened, they do not meet 1999 FRA standards and still require a waiver for operation.

Bloomberg

• cpotisch likes this

#10 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

While the older Talgos were strengthened, they do not meet 1999 FRA standards and still require a waiver for operation.

Bloomberg

Thanks. When 501 derailed, was it using those Talgos or the new ones? 

#11 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

What I find interesting is that the papers report that the NTSB spoke to the engineer, whereas the preliminary NTSB report on the NTSB site says they haven’t been able to speak with either the engineer or qualifying conductor due to their injuries.

The preliminary report that's linked above is dated 4 January 2018 -- it's old news. No reason to think the NTSB hasn't been able to interview the two since then.

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#12 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:19 PM

Bloomberg

The set in the 501 accident was the Las Vegas, an older Series 6 set requiring the FRA waiver.

OTOL Trainset Roster

#13 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:33 PM

I would think the reason why the Talgo fleet be in danger would be cost of maintenance and parts. The Talgos are still niche in the US equipment wise. 

#14 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:58 PM

Talgo is still in business.
Talgo maintains the equipment themselves.
The parts are made by Talgo itself. Subsystem may and are subcontracted out, but Talgo specs.

Might be a niche here in the US, but a multiple country player.

#15 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:32 PM

Bloomberg

The set in the 501 accident was the Las Vegas, an older Series 6 set requiring the FRA waiver.

OTOL Trainset Roster
Las Vegas...? I don't know who screwed with that site, but it was the Mt Adams... All the trainsets are named after mountains in the region.

Edited by Triley, 11 July 2018 - 05:40 PM.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#16 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:38 PM

Talgo is still in business.
Talgo maintains the equipment themselves.
The parts are made by Talgo itself. Subsystem may and are subcontracted out, but Talgo specs.

Might be a niche here in the US, but a multiple country player.

Maintenance is done by both companies, depending on what needs work. And trust me, Talgo needs to go. Critical items are definitely taken care of, but other than that....it's like roulette.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#17 NSC1109

NSC1109

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:49 PM

The preliminary report that's linked above is dated 4 January 2018 -- it's old news. No reason to think the NTSB hasn't been able to interview the two since then.

Oh I completely misread the date. My apologies!

I wonder how much blame the crew will get. Yes, the engineer was over speed, but at the same time, the apparatus that was supposed to train him on the route failed him.
  • TiBike likes this
Routes Traveled:

#18 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

Bloomberg

OTOL Trainset Roster
Las Vegas...? I don't know who screwed with that site, but it was the Mt Adams... All the trainsets are named after mountains in the region.

It was originally the "Las Vegas." Washington state renamed it the Mount Adams after purchasing it from Amtrak in 2004.

#19 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

It came out today that the Engineer in question had no experiment on the new "Charger" locomotive. If that means he or she wasn't trained on running it, or had run it to qualify on the equipment and it was his or her first time running it solo, I don't know. But the current equipment that is being made eg ACS-64's and the Charger units are substantially different then the previous generations such as the P42's and F59PHI's etc. These units accelerate very very quickly. When I was doing qualifying runs on the NEC and Keystone Corridors the newer ACS units accelerate much more faster then the older AEM-7's. I asked an engineer how hard it was to adapt to the newer units acceleration rate compared to the older equipment and that engineer said that for him it was a huge difference at first and it took him a few runs to get adapted. 

• cpotisch likes this
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#20 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

Bloomberg

OTOL Trainset Roster

It was originally the "Las Vegas." Washington state renamed it the Mount Adams after purchasing it from Amtrak in 2004.

Wasn't it also originally ordered for the LAUS to LAS service that never happened? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users