Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

UPRR Derailment North of Tucson-1(8Jul18)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

40 cars reportedly hit the ground. It looks like there may have been a washout. Things are looking bad for 1(8).

Photos: Union Pacific train derailment north of Tucson

A Union Pacific train derailed east of I-10, north of Twin Peaks Road in Marana on July 10, 2018, in the midst of a heavy monsoon downpour and flooding. No reports of injuries.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#2 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:37 PM

40 cars reportedly hit the ground. It looks like there may have been a washout. Things are looking bad for 1(8).

Photos: Union Pacific train derailment north of Tucson

A Union Pacific train derailed east of I-10, north of Twin Peaks Road in Marana on July 10, 2018, in the midst of a heavy monsoon downpour and flooding. No reports of injuries.

It is monsoon season. The train would have to fly off the tracks to count as a derailment. Things may also look bad for 2 (11) and 1 (10). Expect turn at ELP or TUS.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, Sunset Limited, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 37099 miles

#3 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:10 PM

Since that's a UPS train I'm almost dying to know how much that'll cost UP. Those UPS trains are HOT! They move those guys with top priority. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#4 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:52 AM

Since that's a UPS train I'm almost dying to know how much that'll cost UP. Those UPS trains are HOT! They move those guys with top priority. 

UPS and UP will quickly get the containers on trucks and to their destination. I wander if it was going to or from the UPS hub outside of Dallas. 

Most people will not even think to look at their tracking number to notice their package arrived two days late and costs refunded as a service failure. Everyday about 10% of UPS packages are delivered late, yet most do not bother to follow up.

#5 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:02 PM

UPS and UP will quickly get the containers on trucks and to their destination. 

That's not my point. 

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#6 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:18 PM

They have a track open so 2(11) is not affected. 1(8) eventually continued to LAX but I believe some (if not all) of the passengers may have been bused.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#7 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

Here is a photo of the scene. 

http://railpictures.net/photo/663980/

#8 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:53 PM

Here is a photo of the scene. 

http://railpictures.net/photo/663980/

Why is there a Norfolk Southern locomotive apparently in the consist?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#9 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:31 PM

Railroads will pool power, which is basically short term leasing. It happens everyday. 

• cpotisch likes this

#10 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:41 AM

They also have agreements where the locomotives owned by another railroad can operate at a set price per horsepower hour, which can be paid back in either cash or horsepower hours by the railroad with the positive balance.

#11 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:32 AM

According to later news reports 27 cars went on the ground.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users