Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Bedroom or roomette, if single and the cost is not an issue?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:37 PM

I actually liked the windows in the family bedroom, because you can choose which side to look out of and have a choice of all the scenery you are passing.

#42 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

I actually liked the windows in the family bedroom, because you can choose which side to look out of and have a choice of all the scenery you are  passing.

I love that that they're on both sides of the train, but I'm exactly fond of how small each one is.

Edited by cpotisch, 11 July 2018 - 02:38 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#43 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:40 PM

Actually they get the same amount of window space as any other room. The only difference is they both have windows on both sides of the car. Each window is about 1/2 the size of the windows in roomettes or bedrooms.

But is there any reason why they chose to fit tiny windows to both sides? I can't imagine the designers just felt that the total window area had to be identical between each room.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#44 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

Well, it kind of depends on what you're looking at. When I wanted a lovely sweeping view of the gorgeous Columbia River, I grant you that the windows were too small, and I went to the SSL to look at it.

But when we were going through gigantic mountains that soared up out of one window and then I looked out of the other window and--yikes, we're right on the edge--I was really happy to have small windows as I pulled the curtains and put the blanket over my head and closed my eyes! :P (Remember, I'm from flat NJ, and wasn't used to anything higher than the ancient, low mountains of PA or VA, for example.)

#45 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

Well, it kind of depends on what you're looking at. When I wanted a lovely sweeping view of the gorgeous Columbia River, I grant you that the windows were too small, and I went to the SSL to look at it.

But when we were going through gigantic mountains that soared up out of one window and then I looked out of the other window and--yikes, we're right on the edge--I was really happy to have small windows as I pulled the curtains and put the blanket over my head and closed my eyes! :P (Remember, I'm from flat NJ, and wasn't used to anything higher than the ancient, low mountains of PA or VA, for example.)

Might I ask, are you scared of heights, not used to them, or both?

#46 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

Once, I had a H Bedroom on a Superliner due to a screw-up in my Bedroom reservation caused by my travel agent.  The H Room was the only Bedroom left on that trip (and we were fortunate to get that).  I found it satisfactory although for two people, a regular bedroom is better.  As a solo, I prefer a roomette.

A Question:  in the Viewliner roomette, if the upper bed is in place, is there enough room to stand up under it without hitting your head when the room is still in day time mode?

#47 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:55 PM

Once, I had a H Bedroom on a Superliner due to a screw-up in my Bedroom reservation caused by my travel agent.  The H Room was the only Bedroom left on that trip (and we were fortunate to get that).  I found it satisfactory although for two people, a regular bedroom is better.  As a solo, I prefer a roomette.

A Question:  in the Viewliner roomette, if the upper bed is in place, is there enough room to stand up under it without hitting your head when the room is still in day time mode?

No room to stand up under it but a small area by the door where you can stand.
  • Dakota 400 likes this

#48 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

Superliners:

If they were the exact same price, I would definitely pick the bedroom. I like having the extra space, couch, and chair, and I love having my own shower and bathroom.

I never had an issue with the post-shower-wet-bathroom thing everyone mentions. I kept the toilet seat lid closed so the seat wouldn't get soaked. After I took my shower, I used an extra washcloth to wipe down the top of the toilet and a small portion of the walls. It took about fifteen seconds. The toilet paper didn't get wet because it had that protective metal thing over it and I took care not to splash too much. As for the floor being damp, it wasn't a big deal because I had shoes on. I also left the door open to help it air dry quicker.

I've never noticed noise from the neighbors. I tend to notice quite a bit more noise when I'm in a roomette. Most of it depends on the people in the car, though. I've had quiet neighbors, and I've had noisy neighbors. It really is the luck of the draw. I do try to book a roomette in the middle, though, to prevent noise from the stairs and door.

As you mentioned, spinnaker, you may have noticed more noise simply because you were stopped. I always notice every single little noise when the train is at a dead stop and the HVAC isn't running.

Viewliners:

I've never been in a Viewliner bedroom, so I can't speak to those. I will say that I prefer Viewliner roomettes over Superliner roomettes, though. The extra set of windows and white walls make the room feel so much bigger and brighter, and there are so many air vents that I was able to chill myself to the bone during a hot July day. :)

I imagine I'd probably take a bedroom over a roomette for the reasons mentioned above. Again, I would only do this if the price were the same.

• cpotisch likes this
Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#49 dogbert617

dogbert617

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:28 AM

Speaking of Superliner roomette assigned rooms, is there a good youtube video out there that explains the pros and cons of each of those regular roomette rooms? Or if one of you guys could say the pros and cons of some of the assigned roomette rooms(i.e. if one gets more noise than another room, etc)? Down the road I may try an Amtrak sleeper for my 1st time ever(likely on one of the Superliner long distance routes west of Chicago), hence why I'd like to educate myself better on this issue. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

#50 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

cpotisch,

To answer your question in post #45 (I can't do the quote function on this computer), I am afraid of heights and always have been. However, when I thought back on the trip, I realized it was mostly the complete barren landscape out there that got to me (no foliage on the mountains--I think they had just had fires as well, which probably made them look even more stark), no people, and not even a mountain goat coming out for a photo op. :P

I was relatively fine in the mountains on the Coast Starlight--they had trees, and sometimes you would see a work crew, so it didn't feel like you were out there all by yourself.

• cpotisch likes this

#51 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

Nope. When the upper bunk is all the way down, it is basically resting on the light panels just above the seats, so even when you're sitting in one of the seats, it's only a few inches above your head.

• Dakota 400 likes this

#52 RichieRich

RichieRich

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:56 AM

I like the space in 2 adjoining bedrooms when I take the niece. With the wall open you get a wide panoramic view from both rooms as you see both windows at once. Here's what we bring on-board (plenty of room). And what we pack for the AT that might not make it on a plane! LOL Our pre-boarding picnic ritual. And on this months trip, was lucky to get this lounge car with extra-large windows...only seen it 3 times on the AT (it's a replacement for the regular lounge when in for service).

NOTE: can't delete pics after posting - will make smaller pics from now on. Resized in Paint to 20% and they STILL came out BIG!?!?

Attached Files

Edited by RichieRich, 12 July 2018 - 09:27 AM.

#53 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

Nope. When the upper bunk is all the way down, it is basically resting on the light panels just above the seats, so even when you're sitting in one of the seats, it's only a few inches above your head.

This is true for Superliners, not so true for Viewliners, where there's a good bit more headroom--but not enough for standing up unless you're REALLY short. There is, however, enough room between bed and door to comfortably stand.

Also with the Viewliners, the upper bunk lifts rather than tilts, so it's a simple matter to lift it up a bit for more headroom. Only if someone's not occupying the upper bunk, of course.  :excl:

Edited by tricia, 12 July 2018 - 09:00 AM.

• Dakota 400 and cpotisch like this

#54 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

Viewliners:

I've never been in a Viewliner bedroom, so I can't speak to those. I will say that I prefer Viewliner roomettes over Superliner roomettes, though. The extra set of windows and white walls make the room feel so much bigger and brighter, and there are so many air vents that I was able to chill myself to the bone during a hot July day. :)

I imagine I'd probably take a bedroom over a roomette for the reasons mentioned above. Again, I would only do this if the price were the same.

I've taken the Viewliner Bedroom once - for the five hour ride on the Crescent from Manassas to NYP. The plentiful space and enclosed bathroom were very nice, but I didn't like that the beds were perpendicular to the windows, meaning that I couldn't take in the views as well, and that in order for two people to sit next to the window, one person has to use the not particularly comfortable corner seat. 

#55 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:10 AM

This is true for Superliners, not so true for Viewliners, where \there's a good bit more headroom--but not enough for standing up unless you're REALLY short. There is, however, enough room between bed and door to comfortably stand.

Don't Superliner roomettes and Viewliner  roomettes have the same seats? In which case wouldn't there be pretty much the same amount of headroom between the two?

Edited by cpotisch, 12 July 2018 - 09:12 AM.

#56 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

This is true for Superliners, not so true for Viewliners, where \there's a good bit more headroom--but not enough for standing up unless you're REALLY short. There is, however, enough room between bed and door to comfortably stand.

Don't Superliner roomettes and Viewliner  roomettes have the same seats? In which case wouldn't there be pretty much the same amount of headroom between the two?

To enable double-decking, Superliner decks have a lot less headroom on each deck, than single level cars have, to work with....

• jis and tricia like this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#57 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

To enable double-decking, Superliner decks have a lot less headroom on each deck, than single level cars have, to work with....

I know that, but I'm asking if the seats in Superliner roomettes are the same size as in Viewliners.  Because if they are, someone sitting in a Superliner roomette should have the same headroom sitting with the top bunk down, above them, as on Viewliners.

#58 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

I know that, but I'm asking if the seats in Superliner roomettes are the same size as in Viewliners.  Because if they are, someone sitting in a Superliner roomette should have the same headroom sitting with the top bunk down, above them, as on Viewliners.

If the single level cars, have much higher ceilings to begin with, they can have the upper bunk in lowered position, at a higher point...hence more space below it, right?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#59 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:12 AM

If the single level cars, have much higher ceilings to begin with, they can have the upper bunk in lowered position, at a higher point...hence more space below it, right?

Yes, but remember that the upper bunks always come down so that they're basically resting on the light and control panel immediately above the seats. And I know that that panel is almost exactly the same size between Superliners and Viewliners. So if the seats and the panel are the same size on both types, one would expect that someone sitting underneath the (deployed) top bunk, would have the same amount of headroom on both Superliners and Viewliners.

#60 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:38 PM

Yes, but remember that the upper bunks always come down so that they're basically resting on the light and control panel immediately above the seats. And I know that that panel is almost exactly the same size between Superliners and Viewliners. So if the seats and the panel are the same size on both types, one would expect that someone sitting underneath the (deployed) top bunk, would have the same amount of headroom on both Superliners and Viewliners.

I am not familiar enough with the Viewliner to judge, so I will concede your point....   and I suppose it makes sense to have the upper bunk low enough for easier access.....

• cpotisch likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users