Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Carry on luggage

23 replies to this topic

#21 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

I've ridden the Crescent from New Orleans twice in last couple years and both times they do check ID's for all passenger as part of the boarding process.  You line up inside the station at a certain door to the boarding track and your ID is checked and conductor processes your ticket before going through the door to the track.  I have ridden the City of New Orleans and Sunset Limited departing New Orleans and as best I remember they do check ID's and tickets prior to boarding the train similarly.

I've heard about it, but I've never been checked for ID by any Amtrak employee except when I was buying a ticket.

#22 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

Prior to Amtrak, flowers on your dining room table was SOP.  Chicago & North Western's Dakota 400, Rochester 400, and Twin Cities 400 Dining Car service established a service precedent that lives large in my memory.

I take it you quite liked the Dakota 400?  ;)

How did you ever guess?  I rode all 3 trains several times in the '50's and early '60's with my family.  

Once, due to a late PRR train's arrival in Chicago, we missed the Dakota 400, was placed on the Twin Cities 400 and connected and transferred to our train at Wyeville.

I don't recall the reason, but once on either the Rochester 400 or the Dakota 400, we were seated, as coach passengers, in the Parlor Car.  As a teen-ager, that made quite an impression on me.  

C&NW's Dining Service was top notch.  Attractive menu covers, a nice selection of food, excellent service:  there was a Dining Car Steward who handled the "business end" of the diner, seating guests, settling bills and the Dining Car Waiters--don't remember how many, but their service was excellent and friendly.

I even rode that route to Rapid City and return once on a train that I recall was named as The Rochester and Black Hills Special.  No diner, but a cafe/lounge car as well as a Pullman sleeper.  (We were in coach, however.) 

• cpotisch likes this

#23 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:41 PM

I've ridden the Crescent from New Orleans twice in last couple years and both times they do check ID's for all passenger as part of the boarding process.  You line up inside the station at a certain door to the boarding track and your ID is checked and conductor processes your ticket before going through the door to the track.  I have ridden the City of New Orleans and Sunset Limited departing New Orleans and as best I remember they do check ID's and tickets prior to boarding the train similarly.

I have encountered that local "security" person in NOL a number of times. The conductor looked bored having to be involved with an ID check. Probably the brother of a local politician.

#24 bratkinson

bratkinson

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:55 PM

Until this past April, I hadn't been to, through, or from New Orleans in at least 15 years...perhaps longer.  I was stunned when passengers for the Sunset Limited I was leaving on were lined up and IDs checked.  In more than 40 years of riding Amtrak, and for 20 years before that, I have NEVER been 'carded' when boarding a train until this April.  These days, I'm on perhaps 60-70 trains per year and never get carded...not even by the legendary gate dragons of NY Penn Station! 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users