Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Boston to Los Angeles -- what would be the lowest altitude routes?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:24 PM

Commercial jets are typically pressurized to 7,000 feet inside, with the Boeing 787 somewhat lower (about 5,000 feet).

Airliners are actually usually pressurized to 7,500-8,000 feet, while the 787 is pressurized to 6,000 feet.

Edited by cpotisch, 10 July 2018 - 12:28 PM.

• Triley likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#22 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:28 AM

Just a thought about the NYP tunnels...would the pressure changes not be good there either?
  • Gingorn likes this

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#23 snvboy

snvboy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:08 AM

You might find this useful:
https://www.up.com/a...tions/index.htm

which also advises to use caution when shipping potato chips as well.

Not mentioned so far is taking the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle, and the Coast Starlight down to LA. This would be similar to the Sunset Ltd. routing from an elevation perspective, the highest points being the Marias Pass in Montana at 5200'. 

• tricia likes this

#24 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

Just a thought about the NYP tunnels...would the pressure changes not be good there either?

It might not be ideal, but he'll only be on the tunnels for a little bit, and though I don't know the actual altitude and pressure of the North River Tunnels, it can't be much more than 203 ft (the maximum depth of the Hudson River), which isn't very significant compared to the 5000 or so foot Paisano Pass. I do wonder what can be worse for a collapsed lung - higher pressure or lower pressure, which might also be a factor here.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#25 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:50 AM

A word of warning, my grandpa has a breathing problem as well and took the Sunset Limited LA to Houston (and back) with his CPAP. He still suffered pretty badly on the trip. Even though it's not super high elevation, it's still pretty prolonged exposure to higher altitudes. My Grandparents discovered that the prolonged exposure was worse on him than the short exposures to high altitudes that flights give.
  • cpotisch likes this

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#26 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

I read somewhere that Marias Pass is lowest crossing of the Rockies.  Perhaps renting a personal oxygen concentrator might help.  I travel with one when I fly.

Edited by Palmetto, 11 July 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#27 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:23 PM

The Sunset has the lowest elevation to the west coast but as Bretton88 mentioned, you still have pockets of high altitude. The highest is close to 4,600 feet. There are other areas where the train is 3000+ and 4000+ feet above sea level.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#28 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:31 PM

It might not be ideal, but he'll only be on the tunnels for a little bit, and though I don't know the actual altitude and pressure of the North River Tunnels, it can't be much more than 203 ft (the maximum depth of the Hudson River), which isn't very significant compared to the 5000 or so foot Paisano Pass. I do wonder what can be worse for a collapsed lung - higher pressure or lower pressure, which might also be a factor here.
Surely being from Brooklyn you've ridden through those tunnels and you know the sudden pressure change is very noticeable.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#29 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:04 PM

Just another bit of elevation info regarding the Sunset Limited, the route is actually below sea level while running along Southern California's Salton Sea. This is usually during darkness for both #1 and #2.

• cpotisch likes this

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#30 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

Surely being from Brooklyn you've ridden through those tunnels and you know the sudden pressure change is very noticeable.

It's noticeable, but it's not too bad. As I said, you're only in the tunnels for a very short period of time, so I imagine prolonged relatively high altitude would be more of a concern than that. That said, I know absolutely nothing about collapsed lungs, so I'm likely talking nonsense.

#31 buck1108

buck1108

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

I read somewhere that Marias Pass is lowest crossing of the Rockies.  Perhaps renting a personal oxygen concentrator might help.  I travel with one when I fly.

Great idea!  Here's the Amtrak info page on that:

https://www.amtrak.c...xygen-equipment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users