Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Train steps at Mystic--how steep?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:59 PM

It is actually in Chads Ford, Pa on US 1. Just north of Wilmington, DE. On the Brandywine River. Very close to Delaware but not in it!

Edited by JRR, 13 July 2018 - 08:59 PM.

#42 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:04 PM

The Brandywine Museum is my favorite.

It's a great place - the pride of Delaware! I'm telling you, the Brandywine Museum knocks everything else in Delaware out of the park!
Exactly where in Delaware is this museum?

Why Chadds Ford, Delaware, of course!  :P (ok, I'm done)

Edited by cpotisch, 13 July 2018 - 09:04 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#43 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

The Brandywine Museum is my favorite.

It's a great place - the pride of Delaware! I'm telling you, the Brandywine Museum knocks everything else in Delaware out of the park!
Exactly where in Delaware is this museum?

Why Chadds Ford, Delaware, of course!  :P (ok, I'm done)
Heck, it’s not even in Delaware County, PA. ;)

#44 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:55 AM

Delaware gets no respect despite being the First State.

Maybe it'll get some respect once the dining car bearing its namesake appears. Here's a motto you can propose: The First State---and not the last Dining Car. :giggle:

Wait! What's that in your hand, Blue? I was just kidding....nooooooooooooooooo! :help:

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#45 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:58 AM

Maybe it'll get some respect once the dining car bearing its namesake appears. Here's a motto you can propose: The First State---and not the last Dining Car. :giggle:

Wait! What's that in your hand, Blue? I was just kidding....nooooooooooooooooo! :help:
:giggle:

#46 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:00 PM

Will I see you on chat tomorrow night? I have a few words for you. ;)

#47 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:11 PM

Eh, its in Delawhere. Everyone forgets that place exists. :)

Sort of like Rhode Island, when you're riding on a Acela you'll miss it if you blink!

Actually Jim if one looks at the Speeds allowed for an Acela in RI and DE they break about even. I think that DE is a bit quicker though. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#48 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

Sort of like Rhode Island, when you're riding on a Acela you'll miss it if you blink!

Actually Jim if one looks at the Speeds allowed for an Acela in RI and DE they break about even. I think that DE is a bit quicker though. 
Do Acelas stop in RI? They do stop in DE, so you do get to see DE. ;)

#49 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:42 PM

They actually do stop in RI...

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#50 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:21 PM

Sorry Betty. You must have forgot they stop at Providence. Just like I forgot the spotting markers in Wilmington.

It’s ok. We’re even.
  • AmtrakBlue likes this

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#51 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:39 PM

Sorry Betty. You must have forgot they stop at Providence. Just like I forgot the spotting markers in Wilmington.

It’s ok. We’re even.

Well seeing I've only been north of NYP once (round trip), I think I can be forgiven for forgetting some of the stops.  Now, you, I know you've been down this way many times.  ;)

Edited by AmtrakBlue, 14 July 2018 - 08:40 PM.

#52 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:14 PM

It’s ok. We’re even.

Well seeing I've only been north of NYP once (round trip), I think I can be forgiven for forgetting some of the stops.  Now, you, I know you've been down this way many times.  ;)

Well seeing as nobody's ever been to Delaware, I guess we can all be forgiven for forgetting about Wilmington.  :)

Edited by cpotisch, 15 July 2018 - 09:33 AM.

• Ryan likes this

#53 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:18 PM

It’s ok. We’re even.

Well considering nobody's ever been to Delaware, I guess we can all be forgiven for forgetting about Wilmington.  :)

I mean I've been there. My Grandparents lived not to far from Betty. So I would visit them on occasion there. I would also report to Newark for work while at Septa. And would frequently goto Edgemore while working at NS. A few yard tracks are next to the NEC just south of BELL interlocking. 

• AmtrakBlue likes this

#54 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:56 AM

Sorry Betty..!

Attached File  20180715_235539.jpeg   61.85KB   10 downloads
  • cpotisch likes this

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#55 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:47 AM

Sorry Betty..!

attachicon.gif20180715_235539.jpeg

See if I tip you if I ever buy something in your cafe car.  ;)  

#56 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:39 AM

Oops. Here I am trying to support our friend in Delaware by pointing out nice places there, and I have to come up with something one state over. :blush:

For some reason, I always think of Chadds Ford and also Longwood Gardens as being in Delaware, even though they are both in PA.

Now for something really in Delaware: You can take the Cape May ferry from NJ over to Lewes, Delaware, which I have not done but have heard that Lewes is nice.

Also some nice beach towns.

And the lovely historic houses in Odessa. (I went on a coach trip years ago where they took us to the Odessa houses and we had a lovely lunch in one in front of a fireplace, then they took us to the Brandywine Museum--I think that's when I first started thinking of Chadds Ford as being in Delaware.)

Rumor has it that the Pig walks out of his painting at night and crosses into Delaware in search of more Oreos :P. (Nah, I just made that up! :giggle:)

• AmtrakBlue, daybeers and JRR like this

#57 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

Whenever I think of Delaware, I am reminded of all the time I spent at this 'rest stop'... :)

https://erictb.wordp...-travel-center/

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#58 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:32 AM

Delaware is a great state: great beaches that aren't crowded, especially compared to NJ or others, no sales tax, and the roads are well-maintained. The only thing I'd like is more train service besides the northern part of the state, but that'll never happen, there's not enough demand.

Lewes is a great small city! It's motto is "The First Town in The First State! My grandparents have a house there. I would recommend the Cape May-Lewes ferry for a joyride, but it is a bit expensive and takes a while.

• AmtrakBlue likes this

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#59 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:44 AM

Sorry Betty..!

attachicon.gif20180715_235539.jpeg

See if I tip you if I ever buy something in your cafe car.  ;)  
<3

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users