Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Train steps at Mystic--how steep?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

Metropark is the worst in the system. It is so bad, during the Acela's test, the techs asked Amtrak to skip Metropark because the super elevation knocks the doors out of whack.

• cpotisch likes this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#22 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

Metropark is the worst in the system. It is so bad, during the Acela's test, the techs asked Amtrak to skip Metropark because the super elevation knocks the doors out of whack.

Woah. How does that even happen?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#23 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:15 PM

As previously stated, the station was built after the trains were running. The doors on the Acela would have trouble seating and would open back up due to the super elevation. It was the first station to receive Acela markers.  You had to spot the power car next to the marker or the doors wouldn't close.  If it was a bad incident, it would actually affect the motors on the doors and the door would actually get stuck in the open position. In other cases, it would knock the door system off line and the doors would not train line.

None of this has to do with Mystic, though.

• cpotisch likes this

#24 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:48 PM

It's funny all over Germany they have H signs in stations or H Signs with a distance to the main h sign. These haltestelle are where all trains are expected to stop. So I'm guessing that is what MetroPark has. The Germans also have consist diagrams on platforms to let you know where to stand on the platform based on where each car would stop.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#25 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:38 PM

Certain stations have a marker for Acela's. It's an "E" either hanging from the ceiling or posted where the Power Car should be spotted. I believe that Baltimore has them, Philadelphia has them on tracks 3,4,5, and 6, Metropark has one on track 1, New York Penn has a couple of them randomly placed, New London has them placed in two different locations with the reason being if the first class car location, Providence has them, and Route 128 is the last station that has them. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#26 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:09 PM

You're almost qualified. You left out Wilmington. ;)   With the exception of Metropark and New York, the E signs are merely for spotting the train to expedite loading.  They typically line up with end doors.  They were placed in tandem with the original seat assignment program.

#27 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,485 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:15 PM

You're almost qualified. You left out Wilmington. ;)   With the exception of Metropark and New York, the E signs are merely for spotting the train to expedite loading.  They typically line up with end doors.  They were placed in tandem with the original seat assignment program.

I'll have to bop him upside his head for leaving out WIL.  Or just call him Dude.  :giggle:

#28 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:29 PM

I should have known that one too. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#29 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,443 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:04 AM

Eh, it’s in Delawhere. Everyone forgets that place exists. :)
  • Thirdrail7, Seaboard92 and cpotisch like this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#30 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,485 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:53 AM

• Thirdrail7 and daybeers like this

#31 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:38 AM

:giggle:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#32 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,450 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

Eh, its in Delawhere. Everyone forgets that place exists. :)

Sort of like Rhode Island, when you're riding on a Acela you'll miss it if you blink!😄😄😄
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#33 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

Sort of like Rhode Island, when you're riding on a Acela you'll miss it if you blink!

But at least with Rhode Island, you'll be sad if you do!

#34 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,485 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

Sort of like Rhode Island, when you're riding on a Acela you'll miss it if you blink!

But at least with Rhode Island, you'll be sad if you do!
Excuse me!?!
  • Thirdrail7 likes this

#35 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

All sorts of terrific things to look at in Delaware--can't see them from the train, but they are there--from huge historic houses to Jamie Wyeth's fantastically realistic Portrait of a Pig in the Brandywine River Museum :). (The rumor is that he fed it Oreos to keep it happy and content while being painted. :))

Of course, compared to my state (NJ), anything else looks pretty good! :P

#36 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,485 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:10 PM

All sorts of terrific things to look at in Delaware--can't see them from the train, but they are there--from huge historic houses to Jamie Wyeth's fantastically realistic Portrait of a Pig in the Brandywine River Museum :). (The rumor is that he fed it Oreos to keep it happy and content while being painted. :))

Of course, compared to my state (NJ), anything else looks pretty good! :P

There you go, putting DE in PA. The Brandywine Museum is in Chadds Ford, PA. ;)

Delaware gets no respect despite being the First State.
  • daybeers likes this

#37 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

All sorts of terrific things to look at in Delaware--can't see them from the train, but they are there--from huge historic houses to Jamie Wyeth's fantastically realistic Portrait of a Pig in the Brandywine River Museum :). (The rumor is that he fed it Oreos to keep it happy and content while being painted. :)

Of course, compared to my state (NJ), anything else looks pretty good! t:P

When. the train crosses White Clay Creek, between Newark and Wilmington, you can set see a water treatment plant and a little footbridge over the creek on the northwest side of the tracks. I spent some time there in 1999-2000 collecting water samples for a big USGS study on VOC contamination in public drinking water supplies. I would go out once a month and collect from a whole bunch of water intakes and wells in MD, DE, and northern VA. It was a nice way to get out of the office for a day or two.

#38 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

The Brandywine Museum is my favorite. The pig is my wife’s favorite painting at the museum.

There is a nice restaurant there too.

#39 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:32 PM

The Brandywine Museum is my favorite.

It's a great place - the pride of Delaware! I'm telling you, the Brandywine Museum knocks everything else in Delaware out of the park!

#40 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,485 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:43 PM

The Brandywine Museum is my favorite.

It's a great place - the pride of Delaware! I'm telling you, the Brandywine Museum knocks everything else in Delaware out of the park!
Exactly where in Delaware is this museum?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users