Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

amtrak vouchers for sale on ebay

18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kingsgurl_*

Guest_kingsgurl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:12 AM

I was checking on ebay today and noticed people are selling Amtrak Vouchers for sale.

They say there is no problem using them if you do an online reservation.

Do people actually use them?

I noticed in the completed auctions not many get sold.

I would not buy any, but has anybody used them and are they legal to sell.

Thanks

Kingsgurl

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,115 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:31 AM

NOT legal and perhaps even phoney!

Buyer beware!
  • cpotisch likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 Guest_kings_*

Guest_kings_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:33 AM

If it is illegal to use the companion vouchers, why are people giving them away in the Guest Awards section of this forum?

#4 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:38 AM

I don't think any criminal law is being violated when someone sells a voucher or a companion coupon, but it is against the terms of service for the companion coupon to be sold, and the same may apply for a voucher.

AGR explicitly allows companion coupons, upgrade coupons, and lounge passes to be gifted to someone else. That's why it's okay to give them away here but not to sell them here.

Personally, I'd never buy an Amtrak voucher online; there's too much risk (voucher is fake, ticket becomes cancelled if Amtrak figures it out and decides it's not okay, etc.) for what's likely too little reward.

• cpotisch likes this

#5 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,043 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:40 AM

I would not trust buying them, even if it were legal!

A voucher is not a paper copy any longer, it is just a number. If it was say 142756, how do you know that number was not sold to 25 different people, until you go to use it and find out it had already been used?:huh:
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#6 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,043 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

[quote name="kings" post="762725" timestamp="1531060402"]If it is illegal to use the companion vouchers, why are people giving them away in the Guest Awards section of this forum?[/quote]
That is the BIG difference: they are being given away. They are not being sold. No monetary value is being exchanged for it.

Edited by the_traveler, 08 July 2018 - 09:44 AM.

Take it easy .......

#7 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,006 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:49 AM

NOT legal and perhaps even phoney!

Buyer beware!

While buyer beware certainly applies here, there is nothing "illegal" about the sale of Amtrak vouchers. It is not against any law. It is not even prohibited by Amtrak rules.  eBay provides the means for buyers to investigate the ethics of sellers based on past sales, so a seller with no record of similar sales in the past would be very suspect, but someone with a record of many past sales like this may be OK.  I would not do it, but that is just me.

#8 scrollmaster

scrollmaster

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

I had two conversations with AGR this afternoon and they had no problem with me trading 3 uprade coupons with someone for 3 companion coupons.

#9 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:30 AM

I had two conversations with AGR this afternoon and they had no problem with me trading 3 uprade coupons with someone for 3 companion coupons.

I would call one more time. I don't trust Amtrak agents to get that kind of stuff right anymore.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#10 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

I would call one more time. I don't trust Amtrak agents to get that kind of stuff right anymore.

Why? Both of the agents told him correctly (he's allowed to trade three upgrade coupons for three companion coupons.) The only thing that's against the rules is selling them.

#11 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:48 AM

Why? Both of the agents told him correctly (he's allowed to trade three upgrade coupons for three companion coupons.) The only thing that's against the rules is selling them.

I'm just skeptical of Amtrak agents because in the past we've gotten the same nonsense information from multiple agents and then found out too late that it was wrong.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#12 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

I'm just skeptical of Amtrak agents because in the past we've gotten the same nonsense information from multiple agents and then found out too late that it was wrong.

Then what would calling a third agent do? Theoretically, if Amtrak agents are giving nonsense information, then it wouldn't matter how many times we called. (There's also the thing that most agents, most of the time, give correct information. We hear about the ones that don't because that's when people complain; very few people will write in noting how their agent was correct.)

Also, there's no reason to call when the coupon restrictions never mention trading. They explicitly allow transferring it to a family member or friend, and only prohibit buying or selling the ticket. There's nothing gained in calling in for a third time (unless you're calling in to redeem the coupon, in which case I'd just mention that you got it from a friend if they ask how you got it.)

• Ryan and cpotisch like this

#13 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:10 AM

Then what would calling a third agent do? Theoretically, if Amtrak agents are giving nonsense information, then it wouldn't matter how many times we called. (There's also the thing that most agents, most of the time, give correct information. We hear about the ones that don't because that's when people complain; very few people will write in noting how their agent was correct.)

Also, there's no reason to call when the coupon restrictions never mention trading. They explicitly allow transferring it to a family member or friend, and only prohibit buying or selling the ticket. There's nothing gained in calling in for a third time (unless you're calling in to redeem the coupon, in which case I'd just mention that you got it from a friend if they ask how you got it.)

Fair enough. Point taken.

#14 scrollmaster

scrollmaster

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

I have always had great experience with AGR. They have been patient to help me ubderstand and enormously helpful. Amtrak itself has been somewhat disappointing at times both with advice and explainations. Amtrak Vacations though was completely disappointing. I used them to book my first long trip around the country because I knew absolutely nothing about trains and also because they could also schedule hotels..Never Again.. I call AGR for my train booking and setup my hotels and car rentals myself.

#15 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:02 PM

Amtrak Vacations - isn't Amtrak.

Amtrak Vacations is operated by Yankee Leisure Group.

Edited by KmH, 09 July 2018 - 01:03 PM.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#16 scrollmaster

scrollmaster

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

Yes I knew that but they really messed a lot of things up. I'll never use them again as in never ever.

#17 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,043 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

Amtrak Vacations is only a travel agency that is under contract to use the Amtrak name. AGR are actual Amtrak agents.
Take it easy .......

#18 CAMISSY55

CAMISSY55

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:11 PM

Scrollmaster, I think what folks are trying to emphasize is that AGR and "Amtrak itself" are both Amtrak personnel. Amtrak Vacations is not run/staffed/operated by Amtrak personnel. So, perhaps mentioning them (AV) and Amtrak personnel in the same critique of Amtrak service doesn't apply. In Sesame Street terms think, which of these three is not like the others. ☺

Edited by CAMISSY55, 09 July 2018 - 06:12 PM.

• cpotisch likes this

#19 scrollmaster

scrollmaster

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:40 AM

As I said I totally understand but I had to learn that the hard way last January when I booked my first ever train trip using AV. I used Amtrak Vacations because I knew absolutely nothing about Amtrak other than "people" ride this train and wife & I wanted to try something new. It was a 30 day trip leaving
from Louisiana and I needed train scheduling with bedrooms, hotels, car rentals, etc. We also had never been on a cruise ship and wanted to do an Alaskan trip once we reached Seattle. A Google search pointed me to Amtrak Vacations. It was only after my travel packet arrived I noticed a few errors... like where is my 2 day stay in San Antonio with hotel and rental car. And no tickets in the packet for my wife and I leaving Seattle on Coast Starlight to Los Angeles and Texas Eagle coming back home. I guess maybe he figured being a country boy from Louisiana I wouldn't mind the last half of my journey traveling by ankle express but the wife sorely objected. They did resend the ticket info but I was told they couldn't fix San Antinio without canceling and rebooking the whole train part from Seattle back home and would raise the cost quite a bit so we passed through San Antonio but no visit to the Alamo. We did have a wonderful trip otherwise and we will catch the Texas Eagle to San Antonio in October and spend a few days there to make it up. We also discovered we much enjoyed LD train traveling and with a lot of help from folks from here and at AGR I have made Select Plus and also just paid for a trip to Montana on CON & EB for wife and I using points.
  • cpotisch likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users